Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Tow Vehicles & Towing
Click Here to Login

Old 12-16-2010, 08:14 AM   #1
boylanag
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5965
Thought I needed a block heater

Last Winter, we bought our 2005 F250 in Texas and eventually towed our Montana home to Michigan. We don't use it much when not towing and the last time I had it out was about December 1. Tried starting it this Tuesday in the middle of our cold snap and ran battery down trying. Called Good Sam ERS and got a jump and got it going. I thought that it needed a block heater for this Texas truck in Michigan. Drove it about 10 miles to a diesel repair shop to get a block heater and was called today and advised that there was a lot of sand throughout the system. This was what was retarding the starts. Now we are trying to get the insurance company to get adjuster to the shop on time so that we will be able to leave on time. I will get a block heater installed, too, and also a locking fuel cap. The shop closes for the holidays on the 23rd but we are still hoping to be heading for Florida on Jan 3.

boylanag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2010, 08:42 AM   #2
LonnieB
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6150
Send a message via MSN to LonnieB
Every Ford F250 or F350 diesel we have bought over the last 10 years (approximately 25) came with a factory installed block heater. Look behind the grill on the drivers side, you should find the power cord coiled up and taped or zip tied to itself with a plastic cover over the plug.

I don't know that ALL of them have the heater, but the ones in our part of Texas do.
LonnieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2010, 10:22 AM   #3
boylanag
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5965
Thanks, Lonnie.
Old 12-16-2010, 10:49 AM   #4
Art-n-Marge
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9257
Send a message via MSN to Art-n-Marge Send a message via Yahoo to Art-n-Marge
I'm more concerned about what was all the "sand throughout the system" you are talking about?

I still have to check if I have a block heater or better yet, the cord and plug that allows me to use it for my '06 Ford diesel. Hopefully, the block heater is there and it's just a matter of buying the cord that allows me to use it which others have alluded to. This will teach me to buy a truck in southern California - who knows what else they left out.
Art-n-Marge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2010, 11:01 AM   #5
LonnieB
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6150
Send a message via MSN to LonnieB
I agree with Art on the sand issue. I can see how it could get in the tank, but it shouldn't get past the filter.
LonnieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2010, 11:10 AM   #6
Art-n-Marge
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9257
Maybe if the filter gets clogged the fuel now bypasses the filter? I hate that most filters have a bypass, because this means the filter just might get bypassed and doesn't that defeat what a filter is trying to do? But in my diesel there's two and I hope I'm replacing them out often enough (about every 15,000 miles). Or else the service dudes are trying to make some extra money. I don't think they'd have made as much $$$ just putting a cord on the block heater... hmmmmm, I probably shouldn't go there.
Old 12-16-2010, 11:35 AM   #7
CamillaMichael
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10246
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by boylanag

Last Winter, we bought our 2005 F250 in Texas and eventually towed our Montana home to Michigan. We don't use it much when not towing and the last time I had it out was about December 1. Tried starting it this Tuesday in the middle of our cold snap and ran battery down trying. Called Good Sam ERS and got a jump and got it going. I thought that it needed a block heater for this Texas truck in Michigan. Drove it about 10 miles to a diesel repair shop to get a block heater and was called today and advised that there was a lot of sand throughout the system. This was what was retarding the starts. Now we are trying to get the insurance company to get adjuster to the shop on time so that we will be able to leave on time. I will get a block heater installed, too, and also a locking fuel cap. The shop closes for the holidays on the 23rd but we are still hoping to be heading for Florida on Jan 3.
Heres wishing you good luck in getting on the road....
CamillaMichael is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2010, 11:36 AM   #8
priceml
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #183
Send a message via ICQ to priceml Send a message via AIM to priceml
I think the sand is in the cooling system.It was not all removed after casting.I have heard is eats up water pumps.At least that is what I have heard about GM.You can get an after market filter for the cooling system.
priceml is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2010, 11:37 AM   #9
CamillaMichael
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10246
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Art-n-Marge

I'm more concerned about what was all the "sand throughout the system" you are talking about?

I still have to check if I have a block heater or better yet, the cord and plug that allows me to use it for my '06 Ford diesel. Hopefully, the block heater is there and it's just a matter of buying the cord that allows me to use it which others have alluded to. This will teach me to buy a truck in southern California - who knows what else they left out.
Art, I bet they left out snow shoes and polar bear traps...I love southern California, but you just can't get a properly equipped truck there. Michael
CamillaMichael is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2010, 11:52 AM   #10
boylanag
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5965
i saw the grit in the upper fuel filter. They didn't go any further while waiting for the insurance company to send an adjuster. The insurance company called today and said he should be there tomorrow or Monday to look at the truck. I am all thumbs when it comes to mechanics so have to rely on "experts." This shop came highly recommended.
Old 12-16-2010, 11:53 AM   #11
HamRad
Montana Master

M.O.C. #15
The fact that you bought your truck in Southern California really doesn't mean too much in regards to various options. When I bought my most recent truck it had been in several other dealers lots before it got to mine. It may or may not have been originally intended for S.CA. My point is simply that a dealer will search all over to find what he can sell you. If it is on his lot.... Great. If not it may come from anywhere!
HamRad
HamRad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2010, 12:36 PM   #12
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
Jim.....Our 05 F-350 had the block heater.No cord but had the heater.. This 08 has both as I found out last week IN FLORIDA.
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2010, 03:43 AM   #13
RickW
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9139
When the 6.0L motor came out Ford still installed the block heater but the cord was a option. At first they were only installing cords on trucks being sent to cold weather states. I do not know if that is still the case or not.

10* is the coldest I have started the truck with out using the block heater. It started just fine but I am sure the other guest in the hotel were not real happy as I let the truck idle for 15 minutes to warm up before I left.

I will plug the truck in anytime nighttime lows are in the 30's or lower. I don't need it for starting but it is very convenient to jump in and the water temp is already 120*~130*.
RickW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2010, 05:24 AM   #14
PowellsMonty
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1967
We have had over 5 days of 30 - 1 degree weather, below zero chill factors, let the rtuck sit 2 days without starting, and it cranks right up, no problems at all. (wheres the wood?)
PowellsMonty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2010, 05:56 AM   #15
mlh
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2283
Mike
Your truck is designed to start in under 2 seconds at -10 F.
mlh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2010, 11:06 AM   #16
Jay Bird
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6831
Jim,
I hope everything works out for you and you can get on the road again.
Jay Bird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2010, 03:24 AM   #17
Tom S.
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7500
FWIW: As of 2006, GM actually advises against plugging in the heater unless the outside air is below zero (fahrenheit). One 'must' addition in cold weather though is a grill cover!
Tom S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2010, 05:30 AM   #18
PowellsMonty
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1967
I finally foung the plug for the heater and it looks like a regular extesion cord will work. Am I wrong?
PowellsMonty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2010, 06:33 AM   #19
Art-n-Marge
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9257
PowellsMonty, An extension cord with the proper rating is preferred - I'm just not sure what you meant by "regular" extension cord since I don't know of an irregular one.

My prior TV had a plug. I never needed to use it but remember reading there was a rating for the extension cord.

Does anyone know? It's been raining over here for 4 days and I'm too lazy to go check the book.
Old 12-20-2010, 07:00 AM   #20
thor
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #6133
i live in ontario canada.it gets to o to -30 f.never pluged the truck in and it starts no problems.
thor is offline   Reply With Quote