Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Tow Vehicles & Towing
Click Here to Login

Old 11-12-2010, 03:52 AM   #1
kenandjudy
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #10640
Banks speed brake

From the many posts I have seen on MOC i am interested in installing one before I start traveling with coach. Does anyone know how the install affects the warranty on the TV, having only 7500 miles it is a concern.
Ken

kenandjudy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2010, 04:00 AM   #2
gitrdun
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #4075
I installed one on my 05 LLY and it is the best I ever did. If I take my truck in for work I simply remove it. It is is a simple plug in, takes about 5 minutes.
gitrdun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2010, 04:54 AM   #3
Art-n-Marge
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9257
Send a message via MSN to Art-n-Marge Send a message via Yahoo to Art-n-Marge
gitrdun... 5 minute install? That's phenomenal! Do you anticipate this is so for the Ford version as well? Are we talking the NEW Banks Brake system announced a few months ago that can actually slow down your rig on a steep downhill?

This system is pricey but the features and what it provides seem far better than most passive exhaust brake systems. It is on the top of my list, but the cost is prohibitive right now. I'll stick to Tow/Haul and slower speeds controlled manually until I get one. I do have 59,000 miles on my truck and a warranty.

Most Ford dealers will not honor the warranty any longer for powerplant performance enhancements. I suppose this is also true for brakes. I know of a Ford Dealer in Orange County (Ken Grody) that offers the some performance products from Banks, but it must be installed by them and their labor is much higher. I took my prior 2004 truck to BANKS themselves and this dealer said they would not honor the warranty. So the impression is that Ford installers are better than Banks installers for Banks products? I don't think so. I had the 6-pack system installed and the performance gains and the mpgs both improved at the high end of the anticipated numbers. Unfortunately, I had to trade the truck in to tow my new Monty but that's another story. I have since retired and can't afford the performance upgrades on my current truck, but I'm working on it.

What to do, what to do?
Art-n-Marge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2010, 05:15 AM   #4
drknapp
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #9135
I am interested in adding this system also. The warranty issue is a concern. From everything I read, it is an awesome system.
Old 11-12-2010, 02:28 PM   #5
08UltraRider
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #10763
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by drknapp

I am interested in adding this system also. The warranty issue is a concern. From everything I read, it is an awesome system.
In regards to the warranty issues....

Under the Magnuson-Moss Act, a dealer must prove, not just vocalize, that aftermarket equipment caused the need for repairs before it can deny warranty coverage. If the dealer cannot prove such a claim — or it proffers a questionable explanation — it is your legal right to demand compliance with the warranty...

08UltraRider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2010, 02:46 PM   #6
exav8tr
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6333
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by 08UltraRider

Quote:

In regards to the warranty issues....

Under the Magnuson-Moss Act, a dealer must prove, not just vocalize, that aftermarket equipment caused the need for repairs before it can deny warranty coverage. If the dealer cannot prove such a claim — or it proffers a questionable explanation — it is your legal right to demand compliance with the warranty...

I just wonder how many lawyers it would take to fight GM, Ford or Dodge lawyers. Not sure I have that much money or time......
exav8tr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2010, 03:10 PM   #7
The Oldguard
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2625
They will spend more time & money than you will ever have unless you have a great service manager and dealer standing along side you willing to do what ever it takes to make the company listen to your claim that it should be fixed under warranty or replaced!!!
The Oldguard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2010, 06:45 PM   #8
08UltraRider
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #10763
I never had a problem with the warranty work I got after I removed the DPF by changing the exhaust and added a tuner to the truck. In fact it was the dealer who filled me in with the act.

Maybe I should call my lawyer if I put aftermarket wiper blades on and the transmission fails?
08UltraRider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2010, 04:19 PM   #9
TAKPAK
Montana Master

M.O.C. #8238
I would LOVE to put the Banks Speedbrake on my 2008 LMM Duramax. But, I won't. Several dealers I have asked have said that if something happens, GM would not honor the warranty, because it's an aftermarket device. You could fight it, but who has that kind of money? On another note, since GM has installed something that is just exactly (in my opinion) like the Banks system on the new 2011's, I am bugging my sales manager and writing to GM about retrofitting the early Dura's with the new exhaust brake. That said, the tow/haul mode does work good, it's just "hair raising" to sometimes see the RPM's hitting over 3600!
2015 GMC Sierra 4X4 3500 SRW
TAKPAK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2010, 06:38 PM   #10
drknapp
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #9135
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by TAKPAK

On another note, since GM has installed something that is just exactly (in my opinion) like the Banks system on the new 2011's, I am bugging my sales manager and writing to GM about retrofitting the early Dura's with the new exhaust brake.
If GM would offer that, I would be among the first in line also!

I just came across this at Dieselplace: http://www.dieselplace.com/forum/sho...&highlight=jl1
drknapp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2010, 04:05 AM   #11
Tom S.
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7500
Quote:

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by TAKPAK

On another note, since GM has installed something that is just exactly (in my opinion) like the Banks system on the new 2011's, I am bugging my sales manager and writing to GM about retrofitting the early Dura's with the new exhaust brake.
If GM would offer that, I would be among the first in line also!

I just came across this at Dieselplace: http://www.dieselplace.com/forum/sho...&highlight=jl1
You are confusing a integrated trailer brake controller with the speed brake. They are not the same. The speed brake controls the transmission and engine to help decrease trailer speed, while the brake controller you have linked to is just a trailer brake controller, which GM introduced in 2007/2008. In 2011, GM started offering a unit that appears to be similar to the Banks Speed Brake.
Tom S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2010, 04:09 AM   #12
drknapp
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #9135
Your right. I missed that part in the dieselplace posting.
drknapp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2010, 09:42 AM   #13
mail2us
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6920
Does Banks have any input or advice?? before install? as to warranty issues?
mail2us is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2010, 03:26 PM   #14
ols1932
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1944
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by mail2us

Does Banks have any input or advice?? before install? as to warranty issues?
Banks can show you letters from the big-3 manufacturers (on each manufacturer's letterhead) that says they will honor what Banks does. I've heard from others that when they had Banks equipment installed on their vehicle that the service people wouldn't honor any warranty if there was Banks mods on the vehicle. In reality, they have to prove that the Banks equipment either caused the problem or contributed to the problem. The thing that puts us in a bind is that not too many of us can afford to hire a lawyer to make the manufacturer abide by his warranty.

Orv
ols1932 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2010, 06:42 PM   #15
Trailer Trash 2
Montana Master

M.O.C. #639
I personally think that any modifications done on any of the big three vehicles will void there warintee on the drive train. just what the manufacture wants, you play you pay. then you have the EPA for modifying the exhost system and it goes on from there at lest in California we now have to get our diesel trucks smoged, it is a visual check right now but it will be in more detail as the data comes in for the year and model, they will also be connecting to the on board computer of any vehicle real soon according to the snip it I saw on TV a week or more back and the new CPUs on the new trucks will tell if any tampering has happened.
Old 12-06-2010, 04:48 PM   #16
AaronAnita
Established Member

M.O.C. #10922
Send a message via MSN to AaronAnita
I have a 2003 F-350 with the 6.0. I added the Banks super six gun, exhaust and cold air intake system. Then my head gasket started leaking, while still under warranty. The dealer thought for sure it was due to the Banks. Their head mechanic hooked up his test gages and computer, turned the controller to 6 and off he went. He came back and told the owner that no matter what he did, the system never violated any parameters. I removed the Banks computer in their parking lot and they replaced the head gaskets with a newer designed gasket. After the repair, the mechanic told me to plug the Banks back in as soon as possible. Now that I have our new trailer, I too am saving my money for the speed brake. I sounds awesome!
AaronAnita is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2010, 02:01 AM   #17
Champ_49
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9045
Send a message via Yahoo to Champ_49
Now they need to make the speed brake so it works on a 2000 Ford 7.3 F350. That I can tell it isn't offered.

Dave
Champ_49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2010, 02:38 AM   #18
Tom S.
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7500
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Champ_49

Now they need to make the speed brake so it works on a 2000 Ford 7.3 F350. That I can tell it isn't offered.

Dave
It may not ever be offered. The sped brake uses the vehicles computer, turbo and transmission for braking and it could be the 2000 Ford won't work with that configuration. Plus you are talking about a 11 year old truck, which would limit the number they could sell and not make designing one (if possible) not cost effective.
Tom S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2010, 06:46 AM   #19
CamillaMichael
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10246
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Art-n-Marge

gitrdun... 5 minute install? That's phenomenal! Do you anticipate this is so for the Ford version as well? Are we talking the NEW Banks Brake system announced a few months ago that can actually slow down your rig on a steep downhill?

This system is pricey but the features and what it provides seem far better than most passive exhaust brake systems. It is on the top of my list, but the cost is prohibitive right now. I'll stick to Tow/Haul and slower speeds controlled manually until I get one. I do have 59,000 miles on my truck and a warranty.

Most Ford dealers will not honor the warranty any longer for powerplant performance enhancements. I suppose this is also true for brakes. I know of a Ford Dealer in Orange County (Ken Grody) that offers the some performance products from Banks, but it must be installed by them and their labor is much higher. I took my prior 2004 truck to BANKS themselves and this dealer said they would not honor the warranty. So the impression is that Ford installers are better than Banks installers for Banks products? I don't think so. I had the 6-pack system installed and the performance gains and the mpgs both improved at the high end of the anticipated numbers. Unfortunately, I had to trade the truck in to tow my new Monty but that's another story. I have since retired and can't afford the performance upgrades on my current truck, but I'm working on it.

What to do, what to do?
Art, you can do what I do...keep it under 100 and live with what came out of the factory. With kids, grand children, and great grand children, who can afford these expensive mods anyway?? Michael
CamillaMichael is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2010, 12:11 AM   #20
Champ_49
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9045
Send a message via Yahoo to Champ_49
Tom, you are probably right as far as availability. Doesn't make a lot of sense. Problem is, my 11 year old truck is darn near like new. Can't justify a new one with only 80k on this one. Just getting broke in. Oh well, just may have to go the other route is all.

Dave
Champ_49 is offline   Reply With Quote