Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Montana Problems, Problem Solving & Technical Help
Click Here to Login

Old 07-11-2006, 03:37 PM   #1
Montana_5188

M.O.C. #5188
Side Flood (scare) lights

My Montana has the flood lights for both sides wired to the same switch. Many times, I would like to illuminate one side of the 5th wheel without bothering my neighbor on the other side. Is there an easy method to install a second switch?

Montana_5188 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2006, 04:15 PM   #2
gungho
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #2818
It all depends on how they felt like wireing your rig that day. Some have both light wires comeing to the same switch and others are in series from switch to light to light. You will need to check behind the switch to see how its wired.
gungho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2006, 04:23 PM   #3
Montana_5188

M.O.C. #5188
Wow ... they don't have a specific wiring schematic? I thought in this day of mass production, all trailers of a specific model would be wired the same other than option considerations. But I did check behind the switch ... only two wires, so I suppose the two lights are connected somewhere else down the line, possibly at the fuse box.
Old 07-11-2006, 06:29 PM   #4
Montana Sky
Montana Master

M.O.C. #889
The other option is to take the bulb out of the driver side of the coach. =)
Montana Sky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2006, 01:42 AM   #5
Ozz
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5980
I don't know if I will ever use my 'scare lights', I have been so mad in the past in campgrounds, at people having them on, the light from them really bothers anyone next to the offender.
If you were out in the boonies, I could see it, but they are 'overkill' for a crowded campground.
It was considerate of you, rvtraveler, to inquire about a switch, I will follow your lead and either take the other side bulb out, like Montana Sky suggested, or switch it.
Ozz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2006, 02:52 AM   #6
CountryGuy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #191
We have discussed this in the past, but a LONGGGGG time ago, probably over a year, so you would have to find the dicsussions in the Archives (front page, right side, yellow boxes).

There are no wiring schematics for these units (unless that has changed very recently.)

Many of the scare lights are wired in such a way that you CANNOT reach the wires to add a second switch. SIGHHH

We feel the same as Ozz, they are wonderful when you need em, an overkill most of the time, and sooooo easy to forget to turn off. Al has installed automotive fog lights under our stairs, switch inside, they work quite well, and only point at the ground. I can see the dogs in the xpen at night and far enough to get to the truck, etc.
CountryGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2006, 06:29 AM   #7
FredG
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #1309
I wish RV manufacturers would use "scene" lights instead of "scare" lights. If you look at scene lights on an ambulance, they direct most of their light at a 45 degree angle downward instead of straight out. If would be less annoyance for your neighbor as well as more useful light where you really want it...close to the RV.

I mentioned this to Jeff Rank at the 1st rally and he said that it would have to be a surface mount light because they cannot cut ay larger holes in those sections of the sidewall, but he did write down my idea.

we did do a similar lighting job that CountryGuy did, except we used LED lights to illuminate the steps. Works well and very low draw.
FredG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2006, 06:54 PM   #8
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
I don't think they really wire them one way one day and differently the next. I think that was more a tongue in cheek comment. However, I don't know which way they are wired. If I understand Jon's post, if there are two sets of wires connected to the switch then they are in parallel and could be separated to separate switches. If just one set, then they are in series and would have to be rewired to get separate switches. Do I have that right?
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2006, 05:11 AM   #9
Montana_5188

M.O.C. #5188
Yes, I think you have it right. Mine is wired with just one in and one out to the switch so I'm thinking it may be quite a major job to wire the two lights separately. The last thing I want to check is in the fuse area to see if the wiring for the two lights are connected there. If so, putting in another switch wouldn't be too bad. Otherwise, I probably will not persue it further.

Thanks to all for the comments!!!