Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Tow Vehicles & Towing
Click Here to Login

Old 12-22-2010, 04:49 PM   #21
exav8tr
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6333
You might want to contact MorRyde with the model # from the hitch and model of your Montana. I have a one ton Chevy, (I know, not a Dodge), and I only droop about an inch when I hook up my "Heavy" 3400. It really does look like it is sitting back too far. A trailer hitch is easy to change out. Perhaps your dealer can check on this also. Another way to check heights is to measure the front of the frame of the trailer to the ground, then the rear frame to the ground, this will, at least, tell you whether the trailer is level while attached to the truck.

Please let us know what you find out so others may be aware!!!!

exav8tr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2010, 06:48 PM   #22
CamillaMichael
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10246
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by pineranch

Michael,
Look at your picture, the Ford appears to be nose up a little. Airbags installed???????
Mike
Mike, no airbags...what gives the picture the optical illusion of "nose up" is the rear wheels are sitting on a crest in the parking lot. Michael
CamillaMichael is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2010, 04:58 AM   #23
TheJeep
Established Member

M.O.C. #10968
I have almost the same truck as you a 2010 Crew cab 3500 DRW. I still have not bought a hitch yet, I am worried about the length of the pin box and it hitting the side walls of the pickup trucks box on a turn. With that being said I have had 2000 pounds of pellets for my pellet stove in the bed of the truck and did not get that much drop. Maybe 2 inches? I did not measure it. One thing you might want to look into is that you have 373s for gears. My truck has 410s. I don't know if it makes a difference but your trucks tow rating is lower. It might mean that the springs that they put in are different. The number of them may be the same but the temper of the steel maybe different. I sold my Jeep Rubicon that I had put alot of time into customizing, lift kit, bumper that kind of stuff. The reason I am telling you this is because I know Jeep (Chrysler/Dodge) put different springs in the Jeeps. About 400 different combinations depending on the options in the Jeeps. My stock 4 door Rubicon spring were very stiff spring. When put on a 2 door base model Jeep it gave that Jeep about 2 1/2 inches of lift. So in the end when Dodge built the truck they may have put a different spring pack in for a better ride because the 373s tow less weight. The 3500 Mega cabs with the DRW have a very low payload capacity because they use the same spring pack as the 2500 SRW. I guess they figure people that buy Mega cabs won't put anything real heavy in the back. I hope this info help you.
TheJeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2010, 01:41 PM   #24
oldelmer1
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10758
Ill probably play with this later in the week, after the snow melts. We are suppose to be 52 on Saturday.

I will connect up and move to a flat lot and take a good look at things. I have a call into the Dodge dealer, so I'll see what they say( I probably already know).

Also been looking at the Timbrens, I called them today, but they must be closed for Boxer Day, they are in Canada.

We will get past this, one way or another....We have to go CAMPING SOON!!!
oldelmer1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2010, 01:57 PM   #25
Art-n-Marge
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9257
Send a message via MSN to Art-n-Marge Send a message via Yahoo to Art-n-Marge
The springs that are floating are called overload springs. They don't have to attach to anything when not loaded, but at either ends and slightly above them, there MUST be brackets and bumpers that they contact WHEN a load is applied. Without theses brackets and bumpers they are worthless and you have a dangerous issue!!!

Here's a picture from a Ford that shows the end of an overload spring and above it, the bumpers they contact in order to provide the extra support you'll need when a load is at the backend. Does your dually have these brackets and bumpers above the floating springs?

The photo is from an installation of an overload spring and the brackets and bumpers hence the labeling.

Art-n-Marge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2010, 04:05 AM   #26
oldelmer1
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10758
Art & Margie,
Thanks for the picture, I went out and looked and I do have these bumpers, but the front bumper is 4" away from the spring, and the rear bumper is 3" away.
Old 12-28-2010, 07:06 AM   #27
thor
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #6133
did you have the trailer weighed.what is the pin weight on you trailer .maybe you are too heavy on the pin ?
thor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2010, 07:33 AM   #28
oldelmer1
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10758
I just talked to a hitch place and he agrees, this truck should be able to carry the load of the Montana. He has a scale the he will lend me to weight the pin weight, but not till Monday(he's closed for Christmas). He said he can look at the trick to see if anything looks wrong to him. He did say I have 3 options, air bags, Timbrens, or some kind of horizontal coil spring that is adjustable.

I did call the dealer, and he basically said, put air bags on it. He did say if I want, bring it in and they will look at it to be sure its right.

thor, thanks fo rthe thought, but the camper is empty, I hope its not too much pin weight.
Old 12-28-2010, 08:36 AM   #29
oldelmer1
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10758
Out of curiosity, anyone who has a 3150RL know what their pin weight is loaded?
Old 12-28-2010, 03:33 PM   #30
CORattler
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10496
I pull my 3150RL with my 2500 Dodge with 3.73 gears and no problems. I can't see why you should have any issue with the 3500. I do have air bags and use them. Sorry, I don't have a loaded pin weight for you (yes, I know I should be able to tell you).
CORattler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2010, 02:49 AM   #31
CamillaMichael
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10246
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Art-n-Marge

The springs that are floating are called overload springs. They don't have to attach to anything when not loaded, but at either ends and slightly above them, there MUST be brackets and bumpers that they contact WHEN a load is applied. Without theses brackets and bumpers they are worthless and you have a dangerous issue!!!

Here's a picture from a Ford that shows the end of an overload spring and above it, the bumpers they contact in order to provide the extra support you'll need when a load is at the backend. Does your dually have these brackets and bumpers above the floating springs?

The photo is from an installation of an overload spring and the brackets and bumpers hence the labeling.

Art, you keep your truck's underside clearner than most do their exteriors! Outstanding! Michael
Old 12-29-2010, 06:14 AM   #32
oldelmer1
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10758
Well, we took the truck and camper over to the school yard today

I did raise the hitch up 1 bolt hole which gave me 5.5 inches between the bed rail & under the camper.

Truck pulled it like it wasnt there.

The bubble level on the side of the camper read dead 0.

So, all that worry for nothing...

THANKS EVERYBODY!!!!!!
Old 12-29-2010, 11:47 AM   #33
CamillaMichael
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10246
Great looking combo!
Old 01-21-2011, 12:05 AM   #34
LuckyNichol
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #8615
LuckyNichol here -- we are planning to purchase the new 2011 Montana High Country 323RL, dry weight 9,154 lbs, payload 3,120. Tow vehicle is a 2006 Chevy Silverado 250 HD diesel extend cab with a 6.5 box. Any advice on a hitch. I would like not to worry about truck and coach coming in contact (side rails). Any brands or types you recommend to get -- or to stay away from. Is it necessary to have a slider? Dealer recommends pull-rite slider or Reese.
LuckyNichol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2011, 12:33 AM   #35
Ozz
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5980
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by LuckyNichol

LuckyNichol here -- we are planning to purchase the new 2011 Montana High Country 323RL, dry weight 9,154 lbs, payload 3,120. Tow vehicle is a 2006 Chevy Silverado 250 HD diesel extend cab with a 6.5 box. Any advice on a hitch. I would like not to worry about truck and coach coming in contact (side rails). Any brands or types you recommend to get -- or to stay away from. Is it necessary to have a slider? Dealer recommends pull-rite slider or Reese.
I would suggest you to read up on all of the different types out there, we will give what we think is good advice, but our opinions are weighted toward what we have in most cases. Your dealer probably has installed many hitches and knows what is a good match to your truck. With a short-bed you may need the slider.
I have a air ride hitch, love it and love the soft ride it gives, so my vote would be a good air ride hitch, with a More-ryde pin box for anti-chuck reasons. Your new trailer may come with this pin box, I don't know. Your post may do better if it is in it's own thread.
Good luck with the new 5er. Ozz
Ozz is offline   Reply With Quote