Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Tow Vehicles & Towing
Click Here to Login

Old 01-04-2011, 02:01 AM   #21
illapah
Montana Master

M.O.C. #666
sure would be distressing if we only had one truck to choose from.

illapah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2011, 02:02 AM   #22
mlh
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2283
We can all have the best because we all wont something different, just be careful of 5 year old data.
mlh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2011, 04:04 AM   #23
SlickWillie
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6575
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by mlh

We can all have the best because we all wont something different, just be careful of 5 year old data.
I would suppose you're talking about the tranny? I've heard nothing but good on the Ford tranny. Haven't read much on Dodge. Have their tranny issues been ironed out yet?

Yep, Dad told me at an early age; be glad everyone don't like the same thing. Wouldn't that be a boring world?
SlickWillie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2011, 04:28 AM   #24
mlh
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2283
Yes the Ford transmission, right now, is the best in the industry. It was designed to hold 1400 pound feet of TK nothing else comes close. Thats why the Allison is going to have a major update in 2012 or 2013.
Lynwood
mlh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2011, 04:11 AM   #25
klash
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #9399
Met another Canadian down here in Yuma, and he has a 2010 Ford 350 diesel. He is
pulling a 30 foot Denali fifth which he thinks is around 14,000 lbs road ready. He gets 9 miles per gallon going down hill, in neutral and with a tail wind (his words). He has had trouble
with the transmission, slipping, jerking when shifting, etc. The TV has to go to Phoenix
for a tranny rebuild.
The guy is mad, and said as soon as he gets back home he is going back to a Duramax, said he doesn't know why he switched.
I called my dealer at home and asked about current Allison transmission and intended
updates. The transmission in the 2011 trucks was updated to handle the current torque
produced and according to people in the know, both engine and truck are working to just
85% of their potential. So if a person wanted they could rechip the engine if they wanted
(or needed) more toque. The tranny should be good for several more production years of the duramax diesel engine.
Having said all of that I do think the big 3 need to keep producing the different makes and models, the consumers are demanding it, and it is what makes us unique. It's also about
making money, and if they produce newer and more powerful models there will also be
some one who wants to buy it. I read the Duramax owners forum regularly and there are some owners that have dynoed their engines and they are running 1,000 HP and 1,500 foot lbs, of toque, and with all the emission control stuff taken out. Their sport is to cruise the highways and byways laying black clouds of smoke ( out of the sight of John Law of course) and they refer to themselves as coal burners.
We are experiencing some cold weather down here, but better than at home, and it
WILL get better I understand.
klash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2011, 05:14 AM   #26
8e3k0
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9261
Klash; the allison with the duramax will handle to about 500 horse and then start to crater if really pushed and challenged. Just relating to the thousands of trucks in the good ole Oil Patch that are privately owned. Syncrude Canada the largest tarsands company can relate to this with their trucks that have to deal with overloading, in sand at all times, operating 24 hours per day, with winters temps tp -53F and summer temps to 80F and driven by drivers that have no self pity on the unit. The company always goes to loweast tender and turns them back yearly pending condition and reliabilty. This discussion reminds me of debates on Cat,Deere,Komtsu,etc. Which one is better? am really glad we have choice and don't have to all drive Ladas!!
In the end it all depends on owner, application,care, and whether you purchased a lemon or not. IMHO
Yes the weather here in Yuma is cool and wished we could just wear shorts every day!! That's coming up in the next few days.
8e3k0 is offline   Reply With Quote