Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Tow Vehicles & Towing
Click Here to Login

Old 12-15-2010, 05:50 AM   #21
CamillaMichael
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10246
Well, deciding to purchase the ESP AFTER your truck bites the dust might be considered a "WRONG" answer!

CamillaMichael is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2010, 12:01 PM   #22
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
I think the only Warranty that we are ahead on is the Rv extended service contract. In my mind the probabilities that the Montana would never incur a major repair expense were slim. We were right.

We decided to keep the 08 F-350 otherwise I would not have purchased the ESP plan. We have never had a truck with 100K on it. This one will before the ESP plan runs out. There are plenty of big buck items that can fail that are not covered in the 100K motot warranty as evidenced by post in this thread.. Any of those failures cost more than the 7 yr ESP plan. If I had 20 or 30 K that we did not need We would not need the protection....
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2010, 12:40 PM   #23
RickW
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9139
It is all a calculated risk.

Quote:
quote:What most consumers fail to realize is that although the price of an extended warranty often seems like a bargain to a consumer who is aware of the steep price of repairs, it has actually been carefully considered through actuarial analysis by the company that offers it. In other words, the company uses probability and statistical methods to calculate the likelihood that your new refrigerator or big-screen television, for example, will require repairs. This figure is weighed against how much those repairs would cost to arrive at the price that a company will charge consumers for a warranty on a particular item. This formula is not designed to work in your favor.
Source:
http://www.investopedia.com/articles...warranties.asp

Quote:
quote:Extended warranties, like the products they claim to protect, are sold to consumers for a profit and can be big money-makers for retailers. According to "The Warranty Windfall" (BusinessWeek, 2004), profits from warranties accounted for all of Circuit City's 2003 operating income. In fact, the operating profit margins on extended warranties can be as high as 70%, compared to only 10% for the products they cover, according to a December 2003 article in Consumer Reports.
The warranty is a insurance policy. If having a warranty in your pocket gives you piece of mind and helps you sleep at night then it is money well spent. $$$$ in my pocket gives me piece of mind. I know that with the laws of averages I will spend less on being "self-insured" than I would if I purchased extended warranties. This is just like life insurance, you only win if you die young.
RickW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2010, 02:02 PM   #24
mlh
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2283
Ozz
Did I read that right 7 radiators. If so you HAVE another problem. The ESP is not the story here. The real story is what has caused 7 radiators to go bad. As I posted a while back the radiators on these trucks are a problem but 7. You definitely have something else going on. Has your dealer checked to see if you have the dreaded hyper extended thermostat? Is your truck a job 1 truck? What you really need as another dealer, these guys I'm afraid, don't even have a clue.
Lynwood
mlh is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2010, 02:15 PM   #25
Ozz
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5980
Yep, 7.
I did say one of seven, not all 7.
I think my dealership is just fine.
Ozz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2010, 02:34 PM   #26
mlh
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2283
Ozz
What caused 7 raditors to go bad?
Lynwood
Old 12-15-2010, 02:37 PM   #27
Ozz
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5980
Eeeek! ONE, not seven....
Oh, I didn't ask them, probably should have.
Old 12-16-2010, 02:27 AM   #28
CamillaMichael
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10246
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Ozz

Eeeek! ONE, not seven....
Oh, I didn't ask them, probably should have.
Ozz, are all of those radiators the same??? Michael
CamillaMichael is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2010, 02:49 AM   #29
Ozz
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5980
you know I should have been more precise when I called all of them radiators, I was amazed when I saw all of those 'radiators' under the hood. One is the A/C condenser coil, one the truck's cooling 'radiator', one tranny cooler, power steering cooler..I think, I don't know what all are for, could guess but ??
There are 7 copper cooling units stacked up, some small a few large. Looks strange.
The leaker was for the engine cooling.
Old 12-16-2010, 06:38 AM   #30
mlh
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2283

Thanks! Ozz I thought you said you had 7 engine coolant radiators replaced, and I'm thinking Ozz has very serious problem with his truck and needs to get it fixed. I'm very happy that is not the case. You said you had a belt replaced, your dealer may have checked your thermostat then. If they did not that may still be a problem. A hyper extended thermostat causes excessive pressure to build up in the radiator and causes it to fail.
One thing I like about the new Ford trucks is they don't have all of these radiators. They have 2 separate cooling systems. One high temperature for the engine and a low temperature one with heat exchangers for every thing else.
Again Ozz I'm happy you haven't had 7 radiators go bad, but you did have this country boy scratching his old bald head.
Lynwood
Old 12-16-2010, 06:58 AM   #31
Ozz
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5980
Lynwood, I think my communications skills need a 'reboot'.
Sometimes I write something, come back an hour later look at it and ask myself why I wrote something even I can't understand clearly.
I guess we need to better our proofreading skills.
It is interesting that the new Fords have a different cooling method, I guess they learned my type didn't work so good.
Take care.