Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Sitting around the Campfire
Click Here to Login

Old 07-11-2010, 02:56 AM   #1
Bill-N-Donna
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7110
Alligator-On-Bank-Of-Ohio-River

Here is a recent article that was in our local paper.
How would you like to wake up with that near your camper? There is actually a campground about a mile from there along the Ohio River in Portsmouth, Ohio.

Old 07-11-2010, 08:29 AM   #2
JimF
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6260
Send a message via ICQ to JimF Send a message via AIM to JimF Send a message via Yahoo to JimF
That thing isn't near big enough to be any danger to anyone that has any common sense. The nice size one's are a different deal (7 to 10 ft), now those outside your camper are a hazard. Had them in Florida.
JimF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2010, 09:43 AM   #3
Bill-N-Donna
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7110
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by JimF

That thing isn't near big enough to be any danger to anyone that has any common sense. The nice size one's are a different deal (7 to 10 ft), now those outside your camper are a hazard. Had them in Florida.

Yeah, I agree with you but if you lived in our country you would realize that this is very unusual to say the least. I bet someone had it as a pet and it got turned loose or possibly there might be a remote chance it hitched a ride on some boat.
Bill-N-Donna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2010, 06:03 AM   #4
ONERUNNING
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #10448
Yep, like the article stated, it had to have been some bodies pet that got away some how. Because it could have never survived the cold 30 degree water that had back in Feb. However, the thing that would bother me is, if it were a pet and the owner just got tired of caring for it, and turned it loose. You know it's like people that turn dogs and cats loose out on the highway or wooded areas because they don't want them any more and could care less about the welfare of the poor animal. That really burns me up. The good thing in the article, is they said they would turn it over to a local zoo. Anyway, I've said enough....Joe
ONERUNNING is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2010, 06:27 AM   #5
PowellsMonty
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1967
Anyone that wants a pet gator, doesn't know gators.
PowellsMonty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2010, 11:40 AM   #6
WaltandLynne
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #10151
Someone needs to be sure that it isn't a caiman lizard which closely resembles an alligator, especially when young. They can be found in some pet shops. They don't grow as large but can still be a worry. I fear that the zoo won't take the critter as they usually don't have room for additional animals. Maybe they will now that there has been a lot of press on this one. Hopefully, it can go to a rescue league or something. It appears it has been a pet and certainly can't be released into the wold - no matter which species it may be.

Lynne
WaltandLynne is offline   Reply With Quote