Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Tow Vehicles & Towing
Click Here to Login

Old 10-20-2012, 11:05 AM   #1
Ren
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #10954
Changing Filters

I just did my oil change with filter, Air filter change, and both fuel filters. I did all this myself, and what and education!

With only a shade over 9000 miles on the Air and Fuel filters, I COULD NOT beleive the amount of crap in both. I dont know the correct recomendation for the air filter but It was surprisingly dirty, way more dirty than I thought It should be for only 9000 miles, and thats with only highway/freeway driving as well. I did go down one dirt road for just a few miles a few months ago, but the amount of black and bugs on the filter was pretty awakining.

Now on to the fuel filters. Quite surprisingly the bowl assembly on the filter by the fuel tank actually had more sediment in the bottom of it than I thought there should be with the amount of miles that is on it. Not only some sediment but also two larger peices that were the size of the end of a lead tip pencil. And,,, gasp... some bug parts, I could not beleive my eyes!

I wouldnt be shocked if I had 15 or 20 thousand miles on the filters, but this is only after 9 thousand miles. Im glad to know the filters are doing their job!

Anyways, the moral of the story is... dont take it for granted that they are not ready to be changed yet. Go and change your filters!

Have a good weekend!
Ren

Old 10-20-2012, 12:22 PM   #2
racerjoe
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7770
the fuel filters are very important. you can't trust the station filters,you don't know if the maintain them or not. The mesh size of their filters could be much bigger so they do not have to change them as often
racerjoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2012, 01:16 PM   #3
DQDick
Site Team

M.O.C. #11455
A good reminder, thanks!
DQDick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2012, 06:42 PM   #4
Dave Nowlin
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #7253
I'm going to tell you something that might not seem intuitative to you. I change my fuel filters at 15,000 miles and my air filters when the differential pressure guage says I should. Why you say? I sell filters for a living and have since 1986. I have an example that is a bit of an oversimplifacation which I tell my customers. I ask them if they would go to their favorite burger joint and buy a burger and take two bites and throw it in the trash and order another one. Of course they say no. They would finish that one and if they still wanted another one then they would get it. A brand new clean filter is the most inefficient it will ever be. As it build filter cake it gets more and more efficient. Eventually it reaches a point where it's resistance to air flow gets so high it must be changed as you are beginning to starve the engine. I'm sure the differential pressure guage will alert you before that occurs. The same can be said of very large air handlers. I have walked into very large air handlers in hospitals and food processing plants and other places. These air handlers are so large you can stand in them and close the door. I have sampled the air stream in front of the filters and downstream of the filters when brand new clean filters were put in place. I have continued to sample them monthly and have seen the efficiency numbers improve. These tests are concluded when a given pressure drop across the filters is reached. Admittedly it is possible to run a poorly constructed filter to long. It can break down mechanically and begin passing dust. I've seen pleated filters fail mechanically and blow out of the filter tracks. In the application with the pleat I recommend they be changed at .6 inch water guage. Most well produced 2 inch pleats can toleratye 1 inch water guage bu if you try to go very far past that they will fail. The air filter in your truck is very sturdy in it's construction and isn't likely to fail. In fact I suspect your engine will begin starving for air before it fails. Of course it is your money and you can change filters every 1,00 miles if you choose, but you don't really need to. I would recommend that you drain any water in the lower filter bowl every time you change your oil.
Dave Nowlin is offline   Reply With Quote