Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Repairs & Service
Click Here to Login

Old 08-18-2011, 04:52 PM   #1
thomas.wesley

M.O.C. #10904
Goodyear Tire (Marathon) blow out?

I'm traveling 90 Westbound; Badlands SD area. 8/18/2011. Mountaineer 324 RLQ. 2 axle. Pulled into shell gas station and wife noticed front right tire was basically gone. Shredded. Only edges of tire remain on each side of rim.

2011; bought new 9 months ago.

Called Keystone and they referred me to call Goodyear.

Tire tore up insulation and wood floor now exposed under wheel well. Tire also sheared off rear stabilizer motor.

I have USAA insurance, Protective Extended Warranty (Plantinum).

I'm new at this. Any guidance available from my Montana Owner friends on how to proceed?

PS> I am very disappointed in just how messed up so many of our Interstate Roads are. It seems half of the states you just slam your way along.

Thanks,
Thomas

thomas.wesley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2011, 05:36 PM   #2
DQDick
Site Team

M.O.C. #11455
There's going to be folks along who can advise you better than me, but since there's so much talk about the Marabombs on any RV Forum I've even had mine in to a Goodyear dealer to have them checked out (mine are Chinese). What I've been told is that you need to contact Goodyear and file a claim. Keep the old tire to present to them. Most folks have said that Goodyear has been very responsive as far as paying the claim goes. Doesn't make up for the situation however. After talking to the Goodyear folks and finding few tire alternatives other than the G614's that require new rims also I opted for a tire pressure monitor and am hoping for the best. I would start here: Call us at the Goodyear Customer Assistance Center:
1-800-321-2136
Monday -Friday: 8:30a.m. – 5:00p.m. ET

Dick
DQDick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2011, 05:44 PM   #3
moutard2
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10948
Goodyear G949 tires are worth consideration and do not require 110lb. rims. They are as good if not a bit better than the G614 for trailers because of the added tread depth. This information came from a Goodyear factory rep at the Redmond, Oregon rally.
moutard2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2011, 12:47 AM   #4
NCFischers
Montana Master

M.O.C. #8728
Send a message via Yahoo to NCFischers
After a Marathon road bomb tore up my trailer, I got home and found another one ready to blow. File a claim with Goodyear. They paid for the trailer repair and credited me for the two tires. I had five BF Goodrich Commercial TA's installed and am very satisfied with them. I did have a pressure monitor installed on the tires and everything was fine until the tire literally blew up.
NCFischers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2011, 12:59 AM   #5
HOOK
Montana Master

M.O.C. #11401
Work with GY they will work with you. After 4 belt failures they replaced all5 of mine .
HOOK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2011, 04:07 AM   #6
Jdrobone
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #9833
The 614's do not necessarily require new rims. I replaced the Marathon's on my 2010 and the OEM rims were rated at 110. They are embossed on the inside of one of the spokes.

Jerry
Jdrobone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2011, 04:28 AM   #7
Sheepdog
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #10354
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by lsessoms

Work with GY they will work with you. After 4 belt failures they replaced all5 of mine .
How'd ya drag thet triler wit 4 flat tars? Did ya "Hook" it? Figured youd just take the extra tars off your house, then the bank can't repo it as easy.
Sheepdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2011, 07:32 AM   #8
deerrahn
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #4828
Marabombs (good name) Welcome to the world of trailering. Mfg's go the cheapest route and Engineer's come at any price (most are good and honest). Get your information from RV'ers on the road as to which tires to get. Have a Good Day
deerrahn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2011, 04:37 PM   #9
db_engineer
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #9068
I hope you have better luck with GY than we did. Had a similar situation last winter in TX. A passing car signaled us to pull over, we found the Marabomb gone. It did $2500+ damage, we sent the shreds of the tire to GY and they denied the claim, even after I called after receiving the denial letter. They claimed it failed due to under inflation, even though I checked the pressure that morning and checked tread temps with an infra-red thermometer about 90 minutes before the the incident, and told them so - twice. Fortunately my RV insurance (GEICO) covered it except for the deductable and the tire that caused the damage.

BTW this was the 4th Marabomb to die in 5 months, and I got NO satisfaction from GY on any of them. On ONE they offered me $20 toward a new Marabomb, on the others, NADA! (end rant)
db_engineer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2011, 07:25 AM   #10
jackel1959
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2471
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by db_engineer

I hope you have better luck with GY than we did. Had a similar situation last winter in TX. A passing car signaled us to pull over, we found the Marabomb gone. It did $2500+ damage, we sent the shreds of the tire to GY and they denied the claim, even after I called after receiving the denial letter. They claimed it failed due to under inflation, even though I checked the pressure that morning and checked tread temps with an infra-red thermometer about 90 minutes before the the incident, and told them so - twice. Fortunately my RV insurance (GEICO) covered it except for the deductable and the tire that caused the damage.

BTW this was the 4th Marabomb to die in 5 months, and I got NO satisfaction from GY on any of them. On ONE they offered me $20 toward a new Marabomb, on the others, NADA! (end rant)
Write a letter to "Trailer Life" and "Good Sam" magazine's action line sections. I'll bet you get some satisfaction.

Jack
Old 08-20-2011, 10:31 AM   #11
Waynem
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7673
Some time back, Keystone decided to re-rate the rims to handle 110 PSI tires. My 2008, 3400Rl was stamped (embossed on the inside of the rim) with 80 psi. However, there was a new paper sticker on the inside of the rim good for 110 psi. Somewhere on this forum are pictures of the inside of the rim. I would wager that if you called Keystone you would find your 2011 rated at 110 psi. Check first, but a 110 psi tire should be good to go for you.
Waynem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2011, 05:13 AM   #12
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
We've had tires shredded due to a blowout we heard pop and we've had tires shredded from running down the road on plain old flat tires we didn't know were flat. I check tires religiously so know they were inflated properly when we began that day and visually appeared fully inflated at the last stop. Maybe we picked up a nail.

I could show you pictures of blow Marathons, Missions, Freestars, all Chinese made. Several pictures. I've posted them on MOC several times. Never again will we have a Chinese tire on our Montana.
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2011, 06:29 AM   #13
berridge
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #6415
I had a Marathon fail this spring. I had it replaced at the GY dealer here in Ontario. They submitted a claim to GY but all I got was a cheque based on the prorated wear on the tire. It amounted to less than 40% of the installed cost of the new tirs.
berridge is offline   Reply With Quote