Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Maintenance
Click Here to Login

Old 12-06-2009, 06:48 AM   #1
Countryfolks
Montana Master

M.O.C. #116
Refrigerator fire

We had a bit of excitement here Saturday morning. Our neighbors across the street lost their motor home to a fire. As I understand, they had a refrigerant leak. They called a repairman Friday evening. He said he would be back out with parts to repair it Saturday. Before he returned the unit caught fire resulting in extensive damage from the fire and the fire departments efforts to put it out. The moral of the story is: If you have a refrigerator problem or smell ammonia fumes and it is attributable to the refrigerator, turn it off and don't turn it back on until it's repaired or replaced.
The rig was not destroyed so they still have most of their personal effects but I think the MH will be totaled. Neighbors gathered and contained the fire until the fire department arrived. The Village folks also helped clean up the outside mess, and cover the roof and broken windows. One has loaned him the use of a small camping trailer until other arrangements are made. To make a long story short, the neighborhood closed ranks to help them.

Countryfolks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2009, 09:37 AM   #2
boylanag
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5965
Sorry for their problem but GREAT neighborhood!
boylanag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2009, 10:30 AM   #3
HamRad
Montana Master

M.O.C. #15
Countryfolks,
Sorry to hear of the fire excitement but really happy to hear that the community came together to help!
HamRad
HamRad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2009, 12:35 AM   #4
adelmoll
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2716
We have friends that are in Elkhart still (they were there during the fall rally) getting their HR repaired from a fire in their refrigerator. Their's started at 5:30AM on the outside wall while they were sleeping. They managed to get out but their cat didn't. So sad. It did major damage including the whole roof. Scaary.

Helen

adelmoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2009, 12:21 PM   #5
exav8tr
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6333
I am sitting in a site that the rig burned and was totalled. Story was the folks were using the propane to run refrig (not sure why), trailer caught fire and was totalled. Older couple and he was taken to hospital and later died from being distraught about losing everything. Fire department claimed cause of fire was faulty propane refridge. They had not got around to having the upgrade done to it.. We had ours done within a week of finding out about it. Glad we did......I was wondering where all the glass on our lot came from and why the mesquite trees were black.....If you haven't had it done, DON'T WAIT......
exav8tr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2009, 03:09 PM   #6
Trailer Trash 2
Montana Master

M.O.C. #639
Well if I ever need a new frig I will stay away from Dometic for sure as a mater a fact anything Dometic sells.
Old 12-08-2009, 12:59 AM   #7
adelmoll
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2716
Our friends with the Holiday Rambler had a Norcold, Don.

Helen
adelmoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2009, 02:27 PM   #8
adamsfamily
Established Member

M.O.C. #8885
the fire threat is real we lost our Cedar Creek last year in Oct.... that is how we came to the wonderful montanna I will get some pictures up of the fire
adamsfamily is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2009, 05:20 PM   #9
Trailer Trash 2
Montana Master

M.O.C. #639
Sorry I thought it was about the dometic refrigerators with all the recalls they had. I have not heard of any problems with norcold products specally wiht refrigerators, and its to bad about your friends HR. But that still dont change my feelings about any Dometic products.
Old 12-10-2009, 03:13 AM   #10
RRman
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7196
For safety's sake, I think many might want to consider their RV Lifestyle and convert to a Residential 110V Refrigerator should the need arise. I replaced my 3 year old failed Dometic that way and have been very pleased.
RRman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2009, 03:26 AM   #11
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
We asked at the service center and they do see fridge fires although not very common. We have considered a 110v residential fridg should this one fail. The down side is they do not offer any more or much more inside space. IF we had the room we would add a 110 residential fridge in addition to the on board fridge. Many of our camper friends have done this.. We have a 8.8 CU foot upright freezer in the rear of the 3400 and have no extra space.

BTW.. We have never had a Fridge fail in this camper or any of the previous 4 campers we have owned..regardless of brand.
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2010, 03:26 PM   #12
stimpy123
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #8267
Send a message via Yahoo to stimpy123
Phil and Cathy: you mentioned "They had not got around to having the upgrade done to it.. We had ours done within a week of finding out about it." I don't know what upgrade you are referring to. I don't run the fridge on propane except on the road and that is only while going down the road. We try to remember to shut it off when fueling.
Thanks in advance,
Steve
stimpy123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2010, 03:52 PM   #13
exav8tr
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6333
Steve, If you have a Dometic you should visit their website to check for recall. They have them listed by model numbers. You should be able to get more info on their site. Good Luck and maybe you have a newer unit and not be affected. A good idea is to list your tow vehicle and year/model # of Montana so others will know what you have to determine if some of these posts apply to you or not. You can add them on your profile page, under signature.....

BTW: We are one of those that do not travel with anything on, especially the propane, call me "old-fashioned", but I feel it is a safety issue. Don't want to be towing a ball of fire, in case something (probably never will), happens.....

Phil
exav8tr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2010, 04:21 PM   #14
8.1al
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1658
Well Don,
I guess you're out of luck, Norcold is recalling their refrigerators because of the chance of fire, same as Dometic. Makes me wonder if they are using the same cooling unit
8.1al is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2011, 02:17 AM   #15
washley1
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9053
We got the latest Norcold recall notice in the mail, and took the BS right in to the dealer. They called me a couple of days later and said our fridge was NOT subject to the recall. Question; since Norcold has our unit's serial numbers on file, why did they bother to send us a notice to shut it down (again!)and get it looked at (again!), just to have the dealer look at the serial number and find it is not part of the recall? Cost me time and money and aggravation to take it in for nothing. I know with fire safety involved, erring on the side of caution is good, but since all my dealer had to do to rule this unnecessary was look at the number, why didn't Norcold just look at the number?
washley1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2011, 02:54 AM   #16
bncinwv
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6846
Washley,
If I were you I would check the numbers personally. The information is in the recall letter if I recall or can be found on the web if not. I personally checked and recorded the part numbers before taking the rig to the dealer and verified afterwards that the replacement part was provided. I just don't feel comfortable leaving safety matters in the hands of a teenage tech trainee or whoever the dealer decides to assign to the rig that day. Put yourself at ease and check the numbers yourself. The Norcold fridge number is inside the door and the recall part and number is easily accessible be removing the outer cover door at the back of the refrigerator.
Bingo

Bingo and Cathy - Our adventures begin in the hills of WV. We are blessed by our 2014 3850FL Big Sky (previous 2011 3750FL and 2007 3400RL) that we pull with a 2007 Chevy Silverado Classic DRW CC dually.
bncinwv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2011, 04:59 AM   #17
CamillaMichael
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10246
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Countryfolks

We had a bit of excitement here Saturday morning. Our neighbors across the street lost their motor home to a fire. As I understand, they had a refrigerant leak. They called a repairman Friday evening. He said he would be back out with parts to repair it Saturday. Before he returned the unit caught fire resulting in extensive damage from the fire and the fire departments efforts to put it out. The moral of the story is: If you have a refrigerator problem or smell ammonia fumes and it is attributable to the refrigerator, turn it off and don't turn it back on until it's repaired or replaced.
The rig was not destroyed so they still have most of their personal effects but I think the MH will be totaled. Neighbors gathered and contained the fire until the fire department arrived. The Village folks also helped clean up the outside mess, and cover the roof and broken windows. One has loaned him the use of a small camping trailer until other arrangements are made. To make a long story short, the neighborhood closed ranks to help them.
Remember when neighborhoods like the one you describe were the rule, instead of the exception????
CamillaMichael is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2011, 07:02 AM   #18
bullroc3
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7122
At the Fall Rally, Mac the fire Guy was there to give a demonstration on fire suppression systems and fire extinguishers. Speaking as a 35 year member of our volunteer department, it was awesome.

Fire Fight makes a product that addresses the RV refrigerator fire problem. I bought one for my Montana. Here is the picture of the piece:

It mounts in the outside refrigerator compartment. It can be removed and re-installed in another rig. Here is the link to the system.

http://www.firefight1.com/upload/prod1.php?pk=5#qvc

Also, Mac demonstrated the use of foam extinguishers. VERY IMPRESSIVE. Needless to say, I retrofitted my two 2.5 gallon pressure water extinguishers to foam. I bought the foam at the rally and the aerator nozzles for each from my local extinguisher dealer.

I carry these (one each side) in the front side compartment along with other smaller extinguishers.

I don't buy the phrase "It can't happen to me."

Old 01-22-2011, 03:17 PM   #19
RRman
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7196
I'm sure glad my Dometic Ammonia Leak fix was to replace that $1k+ piece of junk with a Whirlpool Apt Size Fridge (less than $400 in 2007).
Personally, I even like the black Fridge (versus wood inserts) as it matches the stove, Micro, and TV now..
But most of all it won't catch on fire, is LIGHTER, FROST FREE, BIGGER (a little) on the inside, and cools down as cold as you want it in 45 minutes or less.

Of course I can't boondock until I get a generator...
RRman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2011, 10:11 AM   #20
spyle791
Established Member

M.O.C. #10278
I just received a recall on my 2010 for a Norcold fridge. The caution was: "If not using the trailer, remove ALL power until repairs can be made." I guess it can me more than just the propane side of usage. fwiw...

Steve
spyle791 is offline   Reply With Quote