Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
Old 11-08-2018, 11:17 AM   #1
jfaberna
Montana Master
 
jfaberna's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Location: Willow Spring, NC
Posts: 830
M.O.C. #13909
furnace set for 40F for freeze protection?

I'm not ready to complete winterize my rig yet as it will be used around Thanksgiving.

It's connected to 50Amps but only the furnace heats the basement and tanks. I don't have the electric heaters on the tanks.

The weather here is above freezing the next 2 weeks except for a few nights in the 20s. So I'm going to set the furnace to 40F and hope that works.

My question is about slides.If they are out the rig is pretty well seals from the cold.

What about if the slides are in? Any risk in not getting the heat where it needs to go or is letting too much outside air in?

Thoughts?
__________________
Jim & Martha Abernathy
2014 Montana 3402RL Level UP, G614's, TST 507, Renergy 100W solar
2014 Ram 3500 Laramie® 4x2 diesel dually crew-cab 3.73 axle, Reese R20
jfaberna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2018, 11:28 AM   #2
jsmitfl
Montana Master
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Victor
Posts: 865
M.O.C. #1709
Send a message via MSN to jsmitfl
Jim,
I left my furnace on 42 for a few weeks before we left Idaho. Our temps were in the low teens at night. I did leave the electric side of the water heater on also. Had no problems. I did have our slides out because we were cleaning and loading. If you need yours in what if you just open the slide that covers the registers just far enough to clear them.
jsmitfl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2018, 12:02 PM   #3
jfaberna
Montana Master
 
jfaberna's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Location: Willow Spring, NC
Posts: 830
M.O.C. #13909
Quote:
Originally Posted by jsmitfl View Post
Jim,
... If you need yours in what if you just open the slide that covers the registers just far enough to clear them.
I think the RV is not sealed well if any slide is partially open. Closed or open seem to be the best seal. Not sure which is better. I've felt the breeze blow through when I have the slide part way out. Since the step air return to the basement is next to my slide switches I feel that breeze every time I open or close the slides.

At this time I really don't have a reason that the slides can't be completely out so that's what I'll do. I have blown out all lines except black water flush and have drained all tanks. So I'm good till Thanksgiving week at which time the water will be back in use. Once the RV is in use, I'm not too worried about the cold if we get any.

Jim A
__________________
Jim & Martha Abernathy
2014 Montana 3402RL Level UP, G614's, TST 507, Renergy 100W solar
2014 Ram 3500 Laramie® 4x2 diesel dually crew-cab 3.73 axle, Reese R20
jfaberna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2018, 12:15 PM   #4
DQDick
Montana Master
 
DQDick's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Wilsey
Posts: 15,404
M.O.C. #11455
On our 2010 enough vents were open to run the furnace with the slides in, on our 2017 we can't run the furnace with the slides in at all.
__________________
Dick and Joyce, Wilsey, KS & Lakewood, NM
2017 3720 RL
2017 3500 Dodge Maxi Cab
IS and Disk Brakes, 3rd AC, Bathroom door mod, etc.
DQDick is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2018, 01:49 PM   #5
mazboy
Montana Master
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Grand Rapids
Posts: 1,025
M.O.C. #9561
I would just put the sides in and let it go. if it is only going to do to freezing for short times it won't damage anything.
but, if you do keep the heat on you need to know how much gas you will need and you can keep the sides in. our vents are in the center of the trailer.
mazboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2018, 02:25 PM   #6
Eagleback
Montana Master
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: Full Timer In Naples, Irma tried to kill us, but were still here.
Posts: 761
M.O.C. #15731
If you only put the slides out partially get on the roof and make sure the seals are in the out position and keep the snow off unless you have toppers or the melt water will find its way in.
__________________
2017, 3500 Ram Big Horn, 4x4, Crew Cab, DRW, Aisin, 4:10. Curt Q20, 2014 Mountaineer 331 RLT
Eagleback is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2018, 03:19 PM   #7
laverdur
Seasoned Camper
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Albany
Posts: 60
M.O.C. #11972
The question is whether heat vents are blocked with the slides in. If so, you could get overheating of the furnace. In my Monty all the vents remain open when the slides are in so I could get away with running the furnace.
__________________
2012 3150RL. G614 tires. Hardwired surge protector. Level-Up Hydraulic leveling.
2013 F-350 Lariat 6.7 PSD SRW SC LB 4X4 OEM hitch, air self-leveling on rear. 57-gallon replacement fuel tank.
laverdur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2018, 04:07 PM   #8
BuilderBob
Montana Master
 
BuilderBob's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2017
Location: Tacoma
Posts: 1,105
M.O.C. #20475
We leave the slides in with the heat set at 45! Even if you cover a vent it wont hurt any thing it just makes the air come out more some wears else.
__________________
Bob & Carol Washington St
2017 HC HM352RL 2018 Dodge 3500 laramie CC LB 4x4
Curt Q25 with puck system, Factory air bags
Happy Trails
BuilderBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2018, 05:49 PM   #9
beeje
Montana Master
 
beeje's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2015
Location: westminster md
Posts: 734
M.O.C. #17894
With no waste or fresh water in the tanks I would just keep a ceramic heater centrally located, say on the kitchen counter and set it on low to keep it above freezing. It takes quite some time even in the teens to freeze things. The warmth of the day takes a while to were off.
__________________
2014 GMC 3500 Dually diesel 4x4 CCLB Curt q24
2011 Montana 3455 SA 6 point level up Disc brakes
Progressive EMS Valterra tank valves Sailun G637 tires Adp fridge control All led lighting
beeje is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2018, 04:22 PM   #10
bethandkevin
Montana Master
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Davison
Posts: 767
M.O.C. #12331
We pull the slides in and set the stat to 50. In the past, we set it to 40. We decided it took longer than we liked to warm the trailer from 40. We do this between weekend stays.
bethandkevin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2018, 03:33 PM   #11
Dixie Flyer
Seasoned Camper
 
Join Date: May 2017
Location: Piedmont
Posts: 53
M.O.C. #19905
Winter protection

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfaberna View Post
I'm not ready to complete winterize my rig yet as it will be used around Thanksgiving.

It's connected to 50Amps but only the furnace heats the basement and tanks. I don't have the electric heaters on the tanks.

The weather here is above freezing the next 2 weeks except for a few nights in the 20s. So I'm going to set the furnace to 40F and hope that works.

My question is about slides.If they are out the rig is pretty well seals from the cold.

What about if the slides are in? Any risk in not getting the heat where it needs to go or is letting too much outside air in?

Thoughts?

I put two electric heaters facing each other in the living area. one at each end. I set them to 70 degrees and open the slides in that area, closing the bedroom slide. I leave it this way all winter. I drain all tanks and water lines along with the hot water heater. Never a problem with freezing. This way we can go camping whenever we feel like with having to dewinterizing it.
Dixie Flyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2018, 06:48 PM   #12
Ed C
Established Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2018
Location: Georgetown
Posts: 12
M.O.C. #22849
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dixie Flyer View Post
I put two electric heaters facing each other in the living area. one at each end. I set them to 70 degrees and open the slides in that area, closing the bedroom slide. I leave it this way all winter. I drain all tanks and water lines along with the hot water heater. Never a problem with freezing. This way we can go camping whenever we feel like with having to dewinterizing it.
That seems like a lot of electricity! I can see the $$$ adding up quick!
__________________
Ed and Dianne (and Clancy, the red Poodle)
2019 Montana 3700LK
2015 Ford F250 King Ranch
Ed C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2018, 07:07 PM   #13
Dixie Flyer
Seasoned Camper
 
Join Date: May 2017
Location: Piedmont
Posts: 53
M.O.C. #19905
Not to bad. Cheaper than something Frozen and busted
Dixie Flyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2018, 10:21 PM   #14
pyoung47
Seasoned Camper
 
Join Date: Dec 2017
Location: Holts Summit
Posts: 53
M.O.C. #20913
It takes 20 minutes to drain the water heater and blow out the lines. It takes a lot of time to replace frozen pipes. B
pyoung47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 12:13 AM   #15
Texan
Montana Master
 
Join Date: May 2017
Location: new caney
Posts: 544
M.O.C. #19873
Quote:
Originally Posted by jfaberna View Post
I think the RV is not sealed well if any slide is partially open. Closed or open seem to be the best seal. Not sure which is better. I've felt the breeze blow through when I have the slide part way out. Since the step air return to the basement is next to my slide switches I feel that breeze every time I open or close the slides.

At this time I really don't have a reason that the slides can't be completely out so that's what I'll do. I have blown out all lines except black water flush and have drained all tanks. So I'm good till Thanksgiving week at which time the water will be back in use. Once the RV is in use, I'm not too worried about the cold if we get any.

Jim A
I don't believe you needed to ask the question about what to do. It sounds like you already have a good plan that should work just fine. Have a happy and safe Thanksgiving.
Texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 08:59 PM   #16
Dreamersandtravelers
Established Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Location: Naples
Posts: 19
M.O.C. #14250
We've been traveling from 50°F OR coast to 36° in SLC then across WY with lows @6°! BRRR. Furnace set @45-60° depending on location. We have slides in - less space to heat and blocked carpet up to allow airflow from floor register. Some lines froze as temps fell to single digits. Otherwise been good to go. Do watch IF slides are out when SNOW accumulate - was lots of weight! And a bare to remove! Heading south...
Dreamersandtravelers is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump

Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v3.2.3
Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by Montana RV, Keystone RV Company or any of its affiliates. This is an independent, unofficial site.


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 12:43 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.9
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.