Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Tow Vehicles & Towing
Click Here to Login

Old 05-17-2007, 05:46 PM   #1
casey.2
Established Member

M.O.C. #5166
Axle question on a 2004 3575RL

Ok, I notice that my passenger rear tire SEEMS to be wearing on the inside tread. I call a local Axle shop, (listed in my manual), and ask what the cost would be to check the axle and "align" or bend straight. I'm told if it's already bent, it's too late and I need to replace. Further, I'm told that the 6,000 lb axle set currently on the trailer is too light anyway as they should be 7,000 lb for my model. I purchased the trailer in March of 2006 and have put approximately 6,000 miles on it. It had'nt been titled prior to my purchasing and I was always wondering, and a little concerned about the 6 lug wheels,(hence 6,000 lb axles). NOW I'm really concerned. Can't they merely check the alignment? I thought I read here somewhere in here that the axles could be straightened if bent, should I play it safe and replace? We're talking $2,000.00 for axles and wheels. I have an extended warranty but I wonder how far that'll really get me in the end. I appreciate any feedback you may have to offer. Thanking you in advance.

Casey.2
2006 Ford Super Duty Super Crew 4X4 FX4
2004 Montana 3575 RL

casey.2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2007, 06:05 PM   #2
bsmeaton
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6109
Casey,

I think you might try a new axle shop. Sounds like he wants to sell you axles.

Providing you are within the GVWR stamped on the trailer, your axles will carry the weight as designed. The axles can be aligned by bending "or hydraulically re-stressing" as my axle shop calls it. It is a routine service practice. I had my axles aligned on my 2003 for about $225.

I don't think extended warranty is going to help you out, as it doesn't sound like anything is wrong beyond a possible alignment that may be required.
bsmeaton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2007, 06:15 PM   #3
casey.2
Established Member

M.O.C. #5166
Brad,

I appreciate the response, I'm really wondering about this. There is really NO indication of a problem with the axle other than a slight, very slight, appearance of minor wear in the inside tread. My clue with the shop was the statement that if it's bent, or out of alignment, it has to be replaced and I'M CERTAIN, I read in here somewhere that they could straightend or aligned. You've proven that with your reply. Thanks again.

Kevin (casey.2)
2006 F250 Ford Super Duty Super Crew 4X4 FX4 Firestone Air Bags
2004 3575RL 2nd A/C
casey.2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2007, 07:13 PM   #4
bigmurf
Montana Master

M.O.C. #538
Do a search for Alko axles. There were some problems on 2004 models. Mine got replaced under Alko warranty
bigmurf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2007, 04:37 AM   #5
OntMont
Montana Master

M.O.C. #122
The axles should be slightly arched. If they are not grossly bent they can be re-alinged. Trailer alignment is a different process from car alignment, so you need to find someone who knows what they are doing. Ask around at dealerships, they should know where to get it done. (Most dealers can't do it in-house). It is not a high-tech process, just a matter of a lot of measuring and a little bending. The shop I went to (in Pensacola FL) chained the ends of the axle down to a steel beam, then used hydraulic jacks to carefully bend the tube. They were set up for doing that kind of work, and had the expertise. It is not something I would try on my own. They spent about half a day working on it and charged me a couple of hundred dollars. The axles appear to be right now.
OntMont is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2007, 09:24 AM   #6
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
We had ours realigned in Elkhart, IN, for $75/axle a couple of years ago. Bud's Body Shop or something like that. They did a good job. We had no further tire wear problems on that Montana. As suggested above, I'd find another shop to talk to about it. Bud's was recommended to me by the Keystone Service Center.
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2007, 10:36 AM   #7
tbhd
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2221
We have our 2004 3670 RL in the local dealer (not were we purchased the unit from) because the left rear tire has worn the inside edge right off. All tires are showing excessive wear on the inside edge. They are trying to get Alko to replace the axles. Still waiting for a response from Alko. Hope it happens soon as we are supposed to be in Pennsylvania for the rally in a couple weeks. I was not able to find anyone who would align axles.
tbhd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2007, 11:05 AM   #8
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
Dennis, if Elkhart, IN, isn't too far off your route to the rally, Bud's Body Shop (something like that) did good work for us on realigning the axles.
Old 05-18-2007, 01:42 PM   #9
Mrs. CountryGuy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6337
Dennis and Steve,

Both good friends, but this time Al and I have to disagree with our good buddy Steve.

We had work done by Bud's in Elkhart, and we were very unhappy with the service and the job. In fact, we felt we got "took".

We figure that the Service Center suggests Bud's cause he might be the only game in town. We know of at least one other couple that had Bud's do work that was not happy either.

Now, I am sure we are gonna take a LOT of heat for this post, we know that a number of our MOC friends have been to Bud's and you are happy with your experience, but, we just would hate to see anyone else get treated and fixed the way we did.

Dennis, good friend, in all good conscience, we cannot recommend Bud's.

If any one wants the specifics of what they did to our axles, ask.
Mrs. CountryGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2007, 02:08 PM   #10
OntMont
Montana Master

M.O.C. #122
As I suspect we are "other couple" Carol refers to who were unhappy with Bud's, I will second her comments. We are also friends of Steve's and were directed there by Dexter Axle, nevertheless, "Buyer beware".
OntMont is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2007, 02:41 PM   #11
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
Carol and John, I'm not at all offended. The whole idea of MOC is for everyone to be able to objectively state their opinions and experiences. And we all did that. My "experience" was prior to both of yours so your later experience would concern me if I were in need of an axle realignment and were thinking of going to Bud's.
Old 05-18-2007, 02:58 PM   #12
mobilrvn
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #2056
WE have a 2004 3575 and had what sounds like the same problem. It turned out to be a soft spring. We all the rest of the tires had tread seperation starting too, so had them replaced. This enabled the axle guy to determine that it was a spring, not an axle problem. Had the springs replaced with heavier duty ones. Everything has been OK since then, although we're about an inch and a half taller.

You can measure the springs yourself to check. Pull the 5W straight ahead for several feet to make sure that you are straight and then measure the distance between the eye bolts. If one is somewhat longer than the rest, then that is your problem.
mobilrvn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2007, 03:24 PM   #13
Mrs. CountryGuy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6337
Actually Steve,

Our trip to Bud's was prior to the first MOC Rally, I believe that we went in first, you next, and then John (OntMont).

If my memory serves (which it does not always do, by the way), John (OntMont) was able to recover from his experience, where as one of our axles was bent in such a way, I don't think anyone could have ever re-bent it so that it would have been right.

We paid for 2 axles to be bent, same as you, but they did not touch one of them, therefore our statement that we felt that we got "took". It was one of those ugly situations that happens in life. Things happen, you deal with them, fix it up the best you can, and move forward.
Old 05-18-2007, 05:45 PM   #14
tbhd2
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #5709
I knew we were getting some wear on the inside edge of the tires but never realized how bad until I was packing bearings and adjusting brakes. The left rear is the worst. When I took it off I couldn't believe what I was seeing. I won't go back to our selling dealer unless I have to. Same as Carol and Als. Jan (connorsmom) said she had good luck with her dealer so off we went to them and they are trying to get Alko to replace them. But nonetheless they have to be replaced. So hopefully we will see all who are going to the rally. I want to take our little "Montana" instead but Sharon is not too keen on that. It's a 8&1/2 foot pickup camper. LOL
tbhd2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2007, 04:18 AM   #15
tbhd2
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #5709

We just heard from the dealer that Alko is sending two new axles to replace the bent ones on our unit. We will have to pay for the instllation which is fine as far as I'm concerned. Now if everything happens as planned---------------who knows.
tbhd2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2007, 04:17 PM   #16
sailer
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6977
Well all take your units to a cat truck scale and get the unit weighed but make sure you split each axel on a dif scale as you can its only 8.50 then you will find the unit tooooo heavy and the axel straight. we started with keystone on jan 8 of this year and they put on 1 new axel and tires ,brakes , the works , they ashered me as we have a 06 3000rk that they were 6000 lb axels ,, well i cralled under and they were 5200 lb so rite now the unit is back in the shop as keystone is putting on 6000 lb axels at no chg . the secert is have it weighed empty to proove its heaver than they claim and you will get you 7000 as you should have and they will put on new tires as we had 4900 miles and the tires were junk ,, keystone has a serios problem in this thing and they know it . we have now been at this since jan 8 of 07 and i hope to get it back and they say i can then travel my 5000 mile trip we start may 27 till oct 15 of this year , you have to be very strong and lots of calls and only 1 person do you work with , but you will win or montana will not be montana soon and they know it , if you want a cheep brand you can get it but montana is suspose to be tops so get on there buts and win john
sailer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2007, 02:51 AM   #17
Mrs. CountryGuy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6337
sailer,

That is a good point, to know your weights, ours were under, were then, still are. We are very aware of what goes in Tana and what it weighs.

Dennis, glad to hear you are getting fixed up! Hope it is in time for the Rally!
Old 05-20-2007, 02:37 PM   #18
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
Where do you find a scale that will weigh the axles separately. I've pulled onto cat scales with the trailer axles on different segments but they gave me a single trailer axle weight (combined). Do you have to tell them you want separate weighings?

We were under the 12k on the combined axles but I'd still like to see the numbers per axle. And someday I'd like to see them per wheel.
Old 05-20-2007, 03:15 PM   #19
sailer
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6977
all cat scales are equiped to weigh trucks daily and they have to be weighed per axel so the trucker knowes where to slide the axels back and fort and apart to be legal they can do it pull in to a scale and 1st look but they can weigh about 4 or 5 dif items at 1 time on dif acales and never move ,, take a look ;; i ran a lot of scales ,, i had to learn the hard way hauling lumber you are legal or you pay and then unload
sailer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2007, 04:19 PM   #20
kmh3212
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #6735
I also have a 2004 3670 RL. I had a severely bent rear axle and a slightly bent (straightened) front axle. Montana put 5200 lb axles on the rear and 6000 lb on the front. Around the same time ALKO had some bad or poor out of spec material that exacerbated the problem. Re bending or realigning bad material is a waste of time. The axles will lose there camber again. Trailer axles must have an arch to them and with the flex of the steel will keep tires flat on the pavement on an arched road surface. Look at your axles and you should notice the arch. If it is not there and your tires are wearing on the inside you have bad axles. I had four ruined tires. Montana replaced the axles and the tires. I have a post in the technical issues section a couple of months ago.
kmh3212 is offline   Reply With Quote