Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Brrr it's cold outside! Winter Camping
Click Here to Login

Old 11-30-2006, 03:48 AM   #1
dmr1021
Established Member

M.O.C. #5682
It's 12 degrees outside

Woke up this morning in Tijeras, NM (hills above Albuquerque, East on I-40) and the thermometer read 10 deg. We thought NM would be warm :-) Oh yeah, there's 2 inches of snow on the ground.

I remember a thread a couple of months ago about how cold the rig could handle comfortably and being on the front line on this one, figured I'd contribute.

We're on 30 amp at this park so our electric use is limited. We have the arctic insulation package and dual pane windows. Thermostat is set to 65 and we are on day 4 of the first bottle of propane, will probably roll to # 2 today. Temps here have been 20-40s since we arrived Monday pm. The furnace cycles on every 5-10 minutes.

We can't use the fireplace on 30 amp (otherwise Mama blows the outside breaker when she's in the kitchen) so we have a small ceramic heater that uses less electricity than the fireplace, is more efficient heating wise and can be moved around the RV. It's GREAT for taking the chill off or doing spot heating on days like today.

We're comfortable inside. Only problems so far...the slide outs are chilly in the living room...the seal isn't keeping the cold out entirely. It's not a draft. 2nd problem...we didn't clean the snow slush from the first step inside at the entrance door last light. It was warm enough to melt the snow but when the temps got real low last night the front door froze shut. It was hard getting it open this morning when the pups wanted out for their morning constitutional.

Woo-hoo...it's up to 16 outside now.

dmr1021 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2006, 03:53 AM   #2
Ozz
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5980
I enjoyed your post. That is a nice area there.
We came to Lake Havasu for the warm weather, no snow, but it is only 46 here this morning.
I got a service call from Kansas City this morning, called the service man covering my accounts, he said there was 2" of ice on the ground, and expecting much snow today. Bummer for them.....
It can always be worse.
Keep grinnin'
Ozz
Ozz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2006, 04:31 AM   #3
bsmeaton
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6109
Yeppers,
Just talked to a Client this morning in Santa Fe, she's at 2 degrees. She just got back from CA for the holidays and is going into shock.

Nice info - thanks. Sounds like to get the full benefit of the Monty its a good idea to seek 50A service.
bsmeaton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2006, 04:40 AM   #4
315RLS
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1900
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by dmr1021

Woke up this morning in Tijeras, NM (hills above Albuquerque, East on I-40) and the thermometer read 10 deg....
Maybe you might want to consider coming up to New England for the winter. Its 68 here today
315RLS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2006, 05:21 AM   #5
rak
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #5481
Day before yesterday it was 70 degrees in KC, yesterday came the ice, and today comes the snow. Bummer.
Dick
rak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2006, 05:23 AM   #6
txkrumm
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5920
Southern CA aint much better this AM. I came home from the hospital after working night shift, the temp was 42.3 inside the Monty. Cat was MAD! Her ears were like little icecubes!
Good news: Didn't take long to heat up to 67 degrees with the furnace and the fireplace.
t
txkrumm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2006, 07:43 AM   #7
Charlie
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3029
Temp has dropped 32 degrees here since 9am, most of that in the first 30 minutes.
Charlie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2006, 10:19 AM   #8
CRUZIN 2
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3160
We are sitting in Norman Ok. snowing with temps at 19 degrees at 4 p.m. but we are having fun camping, right?

Larry & LaVonne
Old 11-30-2006, 10:37 AM   #9
H. John Kohl
Montana Master

M.O.C. #311
Send a message via AIM to H. John Kohl Send a message via MSN to H. John Kohl Send a message via Yahoo to H. John Kohl
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by dmr1021

-snip
We're comfortable inside. Only problems so far...the slide outs are chilly in the living room...the seal isn't keeping the cold out entirely.
-snip
dmr1021,
I lifted the corners on the living room slide and found a couple small pieces of rubber covering the hole. It was not big enough to cover all of it and under the rubber I saw daylight. I stuffed a small piece of pink spun glass insulation in each corner under the rubber. It did help cut down on the cold creep. I will remember to remove it before pulling the slide in.
EDIT - I also put a piece of insulation in the bottom of the central station to keep the cold out and help the lines to keep from freezing.
Good luck.
Cheers,
H. John Kohl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2006, 11:45 AM   #10
Ozzie
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1358
Send a message via MSN to Ozzie
Good idea about the fiberglass insulation...carry a bat with to plug wherever you see light around the slides.
The temps I'm seeing some of you guys using your rigs in, every little bit has to help.
When I hear of how much propane you guys are going through I'd be chasing every little thing...
Does a 2" piece of foam on the roof the slides help?
Ozzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2006, 12:32 PM   #11
Charlie
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3029
I can hear LaVonne saying.....Larry, isn't it time to go to the RGV yet?
Charlie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2006, 01:53 PM   #12
dmr1021
Established Member

M.O.C. #5682
An update....I rolled the slides in/out to remove snow and ice from the canvas covers. Finally got it to work...the hydraulic fluid was jelling in the pump tank. First I tried a ladder to push snow/ice off with a broom (lesson learned...it's dangerous and doesn't work)

We normally leave the galley sink and grey water valves open for drainage...galley valve froze open (lesson learned) so far warm water down the sink hasn't loosened it.
Old 11-30-2006, 03:04 PM   #13
Mrs. CountryGuy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6337
Gotta ask, why was it you felt the need to get that snow off?? If it were only a couple of inches wouldn't it actually act as an insulator?? We never bother, leave it there if we are in the unit or if we just have it parked.

Next, Al tells me that the fluid in that slide thingy is Transmission fluid and should not have jelled at those kinds of temps. We have moved our slides at 4 below, they move slow, and we have popped that circuit breaker, waited for it to reset, and then finished moving in or out. But, don't think that the fluid being cold had any affect.

Next, you might want to do some more thinking about those tank valves being left open all the time. IMHO, you are asking for big trouble, called build up of soap scum and food and other particles. This has been discussed quite a few times here at MOC, you might try a search (yea, I know, sometimes that does not work), but use the archives (click on that) and search for anywhere in the message and more than 7 days, go for broke, go for say 120 days. Anyway, open or closed will bring on some heated and interesting discussions.

Boy, wish we were in NM, even with the snow and cold temps! Have not been there yet!

Well, have a good time even with the freezing and such.
Mrs. CountryGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2006, 03:40 PM   #14
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
run that hot water down the sink. Last year when I did the same thing with the galley valve I had to run all 10 gallons of hot water down the sink but it did break it loose. You may also have filled up and frozen the sewer hose shut. As well as the dump pipe hanging outside. That happened to me, too. Hopefully the hot water will take care of it for you.

We got 3 inches of snow in Albuquerque last March, too.

We're in the KC area and have the ice and snow OZZ and rak mentioned. Ice yesterday and today, so far, 4 inches of snow with 10 to 15 more inches forecast for overnight. High today was 22 with 15 tonight. Single digits for a low is forecast for later in the weekend.
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2006, 11:17 PM   #15
smc
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #3125
40.6F here in Yuma, seems like the whole continent is cold!! At home in Alberta, it has been -30's. My son is living in a Sunnybrook, and so far only had his sewer freeze shut. His propane was frozen one morning, but luckily all tanks were empty and nothing froze. I won't complain about our temps!!!
smc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2006, 04:50 AM   #16
dmr1021
Established Member

M.O.C. #5682
Mrs CountryGuy,
On the snow and ice over the slides...they were drooping pretty low and I didn't want them all stretched out and then drive down the highway with them flapping. Silly me. I learned that the really tight springs in the rollers tightened up the canvas when the slides went in...no problem.

The hydraulic fluid was really interesting...normally clear, the top 1 inch or so turned white and the bottom seemed thick but still clear. We have a generator mounted in that compartment. The bottom of the compartment is open to the air because the Onan is air cooled so I'm sure the compartment got colder than the others.

We're lucky on the sewer...it's a short and steep run, so everything drains fast.
At this point, I'd rather the valve be frozen open than closed :-) Mama get cranky when the dishes pile up.

We leave tomorrow for Las Cruces...a little farther South.

-Dave
Old 12-01-2006, 06:11 AM   #17
Mrs. CountryGuy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6337
Dave,

Hope it is WARMER where you are headed!

Yes, those springs will also raise the slide fabric when the water (frozen or otherwise) melts or rolls off. Be careful when you think there might be ice up there, we had some up there, did not realize it, thankfully, Al was not standing near a slide, cause that ice was at least 1.5 inches thick, and came rolling off that slide topper RIGHT FAST AND HARD!!! Poor Al, was on the opposite side of the rig and it looked and sounded like glass, he nearly had a stroke, he thought I blew the windows out of Tana! It is humorus now, it was NOT then!

I am reading your response about the fluid to Al and he is going "OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO, that is WHY!!!" Says that makes sense. Thanks for the insight on that!!

Have a safe ride, hopefully you will find warmer weather SOON!
Mrs. CountryGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2006, 03:27 PM   #18
Garin1
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2773
Dave, one thing that is a big help. I bought a oil filled radiant heater from wally world to supplement the furnace. It made a very big difference in gas consumption. Get the kind without the fan. They don't pull a lot of power and once they reach temp they help maintain it. I still use it today in our 3650rk. (p.s. it helped me through the Maine winter at -12 deg.)
Garin1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2006, 06:56 PM   #19
Okie Guy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6054
I wish it was 12 degrees here tonight. We are sitting at 8 with a second artic front moving through the state tonight.

Remember to check your propane when its this cold out. I had mine filled last week but didn't take into consideration how much the heater has been running with the single digit temps. Tonight I was watching TV in the RV when I heard the furnace start making a funny noise. I ran out of propane and it is a whopping 8 degrees outside. I have the unit winterized but I am sure going to miss having my football watching hideout this weekend.

Be safe
Okie Phil
Okie Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2006, 02:59 AM   #20
LonnieB
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6150
Send a message via MSN to LonnieB
I did the same thing Okie Guy, but I cheated, I have a spare bottle for the gas grill. I set it on a coffee can so the hose would reach, strapped it in, and turned it on. There is an RV Park in Clovis that sells propane, so I'll probably fill them up today.
Ours is winterized too, but like you, I can't seem to stay out of it. I go there to relax, and sometimes to work.
LonnieB is offline   Reply With Quote