Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Montana Problems, Problem Solving & Technical Help
Click Here to Login

Old 11-13-2005, 12:45 PM   #21
gkbutler
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4049
Send a message via MSN to gkbutler Send a message via Yahoo to gkbutler
Boy am I eating crow tonight. Okay, I'll admit I was wrong. It did make for interesting conversation though.

gkbutler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2005, 12:53 PM   #22
jrgwdenner
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1105
Steve, I feel real good about having our potential connection to the gray tank, too. A black tank and clean clothes just don't seem to mix....hopefully.
jrgwdenner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2005, 01:25 PM   #23
Lstierw
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #3532
Hi gary....no reason to feel bad....i think you are right. Our washer/dryer combo definitely drains into the gray tank. I am sure that yours is the same. Otherwise, why would you put chemicals down the black water tank?
Lstierw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2005, 07:35 PM   #24
Ronnelly
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #794
Our w/d combo drains into the gray tank, we just leave the galley and gray tank open when we wash. The black tank is always closed until we feel it needs to be dumped and flushed out. There was a thread when we first got our Montana to be sure to leave the gray tanks open when doing a wash. Actually when we are parked we open both gray tanks and keep the black tank closed.
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by gkbutler

Karen and I are having a spirited conversation on where our washer/dryer combo drains. I say it drains into the front gray water tank, she says it drains into the black water tank. I remember the service tech telling us that we had to make sure we kept the gray water valve open during operation. She remembers the tech telling her the black water valve had to be open. Sooooo without sitting around all day with both valves open, who is right?
Ronnelly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2005, 01:18 AM   #25
jrgwdenner
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1105
Ronnelly, you and I have the same model, same year so ours work the same. Other models must have different setups underneath to match their floorplan. It sounds as though you're doing it exactly right for our layout. If the washer dumps into the black tank, it would be imperative to have the black tank open and washed out before you wash any clothes, I think.
Old 11-14-2005, 06:46 AM   #26
patodonn
Montana Master

M.O.C. #331
Just because a label says it is one way or other doesn't make it that way...I'd do a test to be sure...As an example, they had our black and gray drain handles labeled reversed at delivery...took a bit to figure that one out a week or so later during our "shakedown".

Having it drain the wash water into the black tank does sound cumbersome. That tank should always be closed during normal use; only opened to drain and flush out. Now, if using the washer, you have to go outside and open the black tank valve, then close again it after all the washing is done...seems like a lot of wasted effort and motion. But, as the Dealer said, you do get an extra flush of the black tank...
patodonn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2005, 07:01 AM   #27
Dental Floss Tycoon
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #1817
We don't have a W/D installed on our 3685FL, but I can see the drain pipe for the W/D under the trailer whenever I drain the tanks. The W/D drain pipe does not drain into any tank but directly into the main drain pipe. So if we ever decide to get a W/D combo, we better have the drain hooked up to a sewer or else there will be wash water all over the ground when the cap is removed.

I suppose if I left a gray water valve open, then the wash water will flow into that tank. But I would definitely not use the black tank that way.
Dental Floss Tycoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2005, 10:25 AM   #28
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
I agree with having the black tank valve open if the washer drains into that tank but I'm not sure why you'd need to flush it out first. The water is supposed to go into the tank and not backup into the washer, right? If the valve were closed and it backed up it would probably back up into the toilet, wouldn't it? And if the toilet bowl valve is closed maybe it would go on up the vent and out the roof to run down the sides and all over the roof? Wow, that would be a mess. I think I'd tape a note on the washer to make sure the valve is open.
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2005, 05:37 PM   #29
Trailer Trash 2
Montana Master

M.O.C. #639
Why on earth do they do that to the dark tank thats realy dumb.
First of all you dont use the W/D combo unless you have hook-ups or I would think so anyway. why cant they splice a Y conector in the drain line, and a trap at the washer discharge line for fume containment. then when you have the sewer line conected to the trailer and the sewer it will flow freely out the sewer hose not filling up your dark or gray which ever. maybe thats to simple for them.

TT2
Old 11-16-2005, 12:16 AM   #30
jrgwdenner
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1105
Sounds like a good idea to me, Trailer Trash 2. Maybe that's how Dental Floss is setup.
Old 11-16-2005, 11:47 AM   #31
gkbutler
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4049
Send a message via MSN to gkbutler Send a message via Yahoo to gkbutler
Maybe we should suggest that to Keystone? I was caught off guard when Karen showed me the label next to the w/d. Plus the fact that it is almost hidden by the w/d, not in my opinion the best place to put a warning label. As we are always hooked up to sewer, it isn't a problem, but we have a lot more room in the gray tank than the black.
gkbutler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2005, 05:49 AM   #32
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
I like TT2's idea, too.
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2005, 03:59 PM   #33
fulltimedreamer
Montana Master

M.O.C. #919
TT2's idea sounds like a winner to me. Putting wash water in the black tank makes no sense because you don't empty this tank until its full. Having it go straight to the sewer outlet past ALL the tanks is a great idea since you need to have a sewer connection anyway. I added a W/D to our coach and plumbed it to the shower gray tank. If I had it to do over again I think I'd use TT2's idea!!
fulltimedreamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2005, 02:31 AM   #34
Lstierw
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #3532
Talked to 2 different Keystone Reps yesterday and they both said the same thing. A lot of the newer models now drain into the black tank. We have a 05' 3670RL and it drains to the Gray, but the same 06' models drain to the black and the tanks are not any bigger. Still trying to figure out the logic.......Les
Lstierw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2005, 02:52 AM   #35
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
We are told the the 06 3670 drains into the black tank. I am going to get ahold of someone at Keystone who can explain that rational to me. When you are hooked up to full hooks the gray tank is ALWAYS open whereas the black tank is ALWAYS closed.Now if you had a choice would you dump wash water into the tank that was always open or always closed. The "black tank gets a free flush") theory, excuse the pun...stinks.... I have a theory..does anyone have a 06 3670 that drains into the GREY tank..My theory is that the "craftsman" or "a craftsman" who hooks up the lines has no idea which is which and just hooks them up where ever.
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2005, 04:31 AM   #36
CountryGuy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #191
Rich,

Not all of us leave those gray tanks open while we are hooked to sewer. Al and I rarely do so. Leaving the tanks open allows dried up scum and food particles to collect in the tanks. I wrote a long discussion about this many months ago here on the forum, probably in the archives by now. Nope, ALL tanks are closed on the Stevens' Montana almost all the time, the only exception might be if I am grooming dogs, then we will open for the duration, and close again when I am finished.
CountryGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2005, 05:18 AM   #37
drhowell
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3628
Likewise.
I like to keep the black tank wet with extra water and chemical so I don't drain it until it reaches 1/2 to 3/4 or if I have to haul it around, I will drain and add water and chemical to the empty tank. I use the two gray tanks to flush the hose after I drain the black tank. Have only used the WD once and don't remember which tank it emptied into. But I did have it open while washing. Haven't crawled back behind the WD to see how it was plumbed, but I do see the standard drain near the hose bibs and it is not connected there. Must be hard plumbed near the floor.
drhowell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2005, 11:34 AM   #38
texdeano
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #4480
Send a message via Yahoo to texdeano
We do have a new 3760RL and the washer drain is hooked up to drain into the black water tank.This has got to be one of the dumbest things they could have done.I did write them a letter to that effect and also told them that I would not have even bought it if I had of known it at the time unless they agreed to change it.
texdeano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2005, 03:24 AM   #39
jackw87
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #3007
I have a 3685FL and it is not connected to any holding tank but dumps directly to the Dump pipe if you wash with the cap on the dump it will back up into the trailer so we can only wash when we have full hookup
jackw87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2005, 03:49 AM   #40
Illini Trekker
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2733
Originally posted by sreigle
I agree with having the black tank valve open if the washer drains into that tank but I'm not sure why you'd need to flush it out first. The water is supposed to go into the tank and not backup into the washer, right? If the valve were closed and it backed up it would probably back up into the toilet, wouldn't it? And if the toilet bowl valve is closed maybe it would go on up the vent and out the roof to run down the sides and all over the roof? Wow, that would be a mess. I think I'd tape a note on the washer to make sure the valve is open.

Steve
I've can't stop laughing, I have this visual of making coffee in the morning and seeing this geyser coming out of my neighbor vent LOL!!
Illini Trekker is offline   Reply With Quote