Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Additions & Improvements
Click Here to Login

Old 02-13-2018, 12:26 PM   #81
jeffba
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20753
Storm door hmmmm there is a good reason I do not tell my wife about this forum.

2018 Ford F-350 Lariat CCLB PSD DRW KJ5CQH
jeffba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2018, 06:15 PM   #82
Golfmedik
Montana Master

M.O.C. #18474
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffba View Post
Storm door hmmmm there is a good reason I do not tell my wife about this forum.
I'm sure we could help you do anything she finds here
Old 01-01-2019, 04:20 PM   #83
jeffiesdad96

M.O.C. #21731
Mor/Ryde steps

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtlakejim View Post
Keep me posted on how you like them. The factory steps on our HC 381TH are terrible and I am looking at those moyride.....

Hey Jim, I also have a 381 TH, did you replace your steps and if so, what was the part number you installed. And final question, how do you like them? Thanks
Mike
jeffiesdad96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2019, 06:43 AM   #84
Skw774
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #20974
We love ours and I keep all my leveling blocks in the storage box.

2023 GMC 2500 HD AT4
2018 High Country 340BH
Skw774 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2020, 12:25 PM   #85
BiggarView
Montana Master

M.O.C. #19382
Send a message via AIM to BiggarView
Anybody put anything opaque on the vertical part of the steps to help with skittish dogs?

2017 RAM 3500 Laramie CCLB Dually CTD Aisin, OEM auto level rear air-ride, B&W hitch
2020 3813MS Legacy Cobalt FBP, MORryde 8K IS & pinbox, PI EMS,DIY mods by in-house "craftsman", RV security system Mk1 Beagle Alerter
BiggarView is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2020, 02:09 PM   #86
DutchmenSport
Montana Master

M.O.C. #22835
We travel a lot and most of our camping is in State Parks. We have been on campsites over and over again where the front to back slope of the campsite resulted in some pretty creative set up situations over the last 25 years of RV ownership.

When we purchased our High Country 375FL, we ran into some situations immediately that we didn't experience with shorter travel trailers. Namely, the slope of the camp site doesn't have to be very much for the distance from the bottom of the camper to the ground can be a few inches on the front to almost 3 feet on the back. Add to that a campsite that has drop off edges at the edge of the pad, and it creates some very interesting situaitons for the Moyride style steps, namely, they simply aren't long enough to reach the ground, even with blocks built up under the feet (if you don't have enough lumber or Lego blocks.)

Here's an example of one such campsite this last Summer where this happened. Yes, that is a 4 foot ladder at the rear of the camper.

Our MHC 375FL has a front and back door on opposite sides of the 5er. The back door is in the hall between the kitchen and rear bed room, opposite the bathroom door, closer to the back. When the situation is so unlevel front to back, our only option was to leave the back steps up. But they also block that hallway some. To lower them, would mean leaving them just dangling in the air.

I contacted Moyride and asked them about foot extensions, and yes they have them which adds about 6 more inches of height on a slope. This is now making that first step pretty high to step on. I built a wooden box step for just that purpose. But then we ran into a situation where even the box step was not enough and the Moyride extension was just not long enough.

I came up with a different way to use both the original feet with the new purchased step extensions. Granted, the first step is pretty much unusable as it off the ground a good 2.5 feet and I don't have any other steps to make up the 2.5 feet. But at least, the steps are NOT dangling in the air or are they blocking the hall way being left retracted in the door:

Again, this only supported the step from dangling in mid air causing stress on all the screws holding it to the floor. But this did solve the problem. Nice thing is, with all the holes in the step feet extensions, it can be adjusted pretty long.

On the other hand, the front door on the opposite side was too low, and I had to dig a hole in the dirt for the steps feet to go into. Actually, I removed the feet completely, and still had to dig a small hole for the steps to rest in.

This is the only down-side I've found to this style of step. The nice thing is, before backing into your campsite, if the campsite pad is concrete or asphalt, you've got to figure out how to best position the camper to make the steps work. That's key to everything.

FYI, regardless of this little challenge, which I've learned to overcome, I like these steps much, much better than any of the traditional fold up steps on trailers we've had in the past.
DutchmenSport is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2020, 02:29 PM   #87
beeje
Montana Master

M.O.C. #17894
Quote:
Originally Posted by DutchmenSport View Post
We travel a lot and most of our camping is in State Parks. We have been on campsites over and over again where the front to back slope of the campsite resulted in some pretty creative set up situations over the last 25 years of RV ownership.

When we purchased our High Country 375FL, we ran into some situations immediately that we didn't experience with shorter travel trailers. Namely, the slope of the camp site doesn't have to be very much for the distance from the bottom of the camper to the ground can be a few inches on the front to almost 3 feet on the back. Add to that a campsite that has drop off edges at the edge of the pad, and it creates some very interesting situaitons for the Moyride style steps, namely, they simply aren't long enough to reach the ground, even with blocks built up under the feet (if you don't have enough lumber or Lego blocks.)

Here's an example of one such campsite this last Summer where this happened. Yes, that is a 4 foot ladder at the rear of the camper.

Our MHC 375FL has a front and back door on opposite sides of the 5er. The back door is in the hall between the kitchen and rear bed room, opposite the bathroom door, closer to the back. When the situation is so unlevel front to back, our only option was to leave the back steps up. But they also block that hallway some. To lower them, would mean leaving them just dangling in the air.

I contacted Moyride and asked them about foot extensions, and yes they have them which adds about 6 more inches of height on a slope. This is now making that first step pretty high to step on. I built a wooden box step for just that purpose. But then we ran into a situation where even the box step was not enough and the Moyride extension was just not long enough.

I came up with a different way to use both the original feet with the new purchased step extensions. Granted, the first step is pretty much unusable as it off the ground a good 2.5 feet and I don't have any other steps to make up the 2.5 feet. But at least, the steps are NOT dangling in the air or are they blocking the hall way being left retracted in the door:

Again, this only supported the step from dangling in mid air causing stress on all the screws holding it to the floor. But this did solve the problem. Nice thing is, with all the holes in the step feet extensions, it can be adjusted pretty long.

On the other hand, the front door on the opposite side was too low, and I had to dig a hole in the dirt for the steps feet to go into. Actually, I removed the feet completely, and still had to dig a small hole for the steps to rest in.

This is the only down-side I've found to this style of step. The nice thing is, before backing into your campsite, if the campsite pad is concrete or asphalt, you've got to figure out how to best position the camper to make the steps work. That's key to everything.

FYI, regardless of this little challenge, which I've learned to overcome, I like these steps much, much better than any of the traditional fold up steps on trailers we've had in the past.
Exactly why the Glow steps are better IMHO. They are adjustable in multiple ways.
beeje is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2020, 02:55 PM   #88
BillnJudy

M.O.C. #20978
put them on our rig last week. No more bounce when going in or out.
BillnJudy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2020, 05:39 PM   #89
DutchmenSport
Montana Master

M.O.C. #22835
"Exactly why the Glow steps are better IMHO. They are adjustable in multiple ways."

But what do you do when the steps are still to short? Looking at the Glow Step, it looks like they would continue to angle downward, but eventually, the steps would not be level, they would begin to slope forward for the feet to reach the ground.

I suppose you've never been on a campsite when the slope was so much, the steps would not reach the ground.
DutchmenSport is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2020, 04:19 PM   #90
beeje
Montana Master

M.O.C. #17894
Yes, we have camped where the site is WAY out of level. I made a 24x30 7 inch high carpeted landing so the steps could rest upon it while keeping the steps somewhat level. So yes, it is possible to be beyond the glow steps adjustability. But its rare.
beeje is offline   Reply With Quote