Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Maintenance
Click Here to Login

Old 10-07-2011, 07:55 PM   #1
Trailer Trash 2
Montana Master

M.O.C. #639
Wet bolts for my Dexter axel came today

Well I went and ordered my EZ Flex wet bolt kit from Dexter last week and guess what?????????????? I have all the luck of the Irish, Bad luck that is..
As most of us when we get a new toy or product we have to touch it and make sure all the parts are there, dont we.. yes of course we do...
Mine looked good,.... untill I looked at it real good what the heack, they forgot to put a brass bushing in one of the holes bummer.. I called the factory and they are sending me out a bushing Monday to install in the hole my self. Im glad I found this error before I gave it to the RV shop to install, it might have put a mechanic in a tail spin for that part, all will end up good next week.

Dexter need to have a better quality control station, good thing I was not in a hury.

OK these things are huge I look at this monster and I dont think they will fit or at least they look like that.
Also I need a question answered about the spring mount at the very rear are there any rubber bushings in them like cars used to have or id it just the brass bushing with the kit.

Old 10-08-2011, 02:41 AM   #2
RickW
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9139
Great catch. Ordering the wet bolt kit is on my to-do list this weekend. I will make a note to check for the bushings when it arrives, because my luck is not to discover it until AFTER I have installed it ......
RickW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2011, 03:17 AM   #3
Ozz
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5980
Sharp eye there buddy!
Ozz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2011, 04:27 AM   #4
DQDick
Site Team

M.O.C. #11455
As I remember Dexters presentation at the Rally, they were saying that each of their axle set ups was fully inspected before it was sent to Keystone. One of the folks in the audience mentioned having to tighten his U bolts significantly. The presenter said "that couldn't happen due to their quality controls". I asked how many people in the room had had to tighten theirs more than one turn and almost everyone raised their hands. He said he would be going back to check their procedures.
DQDick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2011, 08:36 AM   #5
Trailer Trash 2
Montana Master

M.O.C. #639
I have noticed at any Rally the manufactures of products will always say theres is the best in the west, and have outstanding quality control, who just so happens to be in India where the EZ Flex supports are manufactured, to bad they couldnt have been made in the USA to help our econamy.
I look at how fast they respond to there problem and fix it. right now Dexter has the ball and have addressed the problem.
I just hope I can install the bushing without messing it up. be just my luck too. I wish I could say that about other vendors I have delt with in the past.
Old 10-18-2011, 08:22 AM   #6
YOPPER
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #6547
What do you have to know in order to get the right wet bolt kit?
YOPPER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2011, 08:31 AM   #7
pineranch
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9765
YOPPER
It would help to know what suspension system is installed on your unit. I would venture a guess the wet bolt kit OEM is Dexter but knowing what system you have installed will help guide you to the right piece/parts you need for your unit.
Mike
pineranch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2011, 06:02 PM   #8
Trailer Trash 2
Montana Master

M.O.C. #639
Yopper Dexter axel has three types of axels, if you call them up and give them the center to center for your axel and let them know you want the EZ Flex wet bolt kit they will sell it to you C Card order.
I found then to be less money than the dealers who wanted over a 130.00 more than the factory plus shipping. I paid about 214.00 S&H included. oh yes and taxes for Jerry Browns kitty.
they have two types of tandums and a tripple axel kit. the one I ordered was for a Dexter 35 inch center to center.
Old 10-19-2011, 05:58 AM   #9
pineranch
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9765
Don,
If he has the MOR/ryde system installed, does he still need to order the EZ flex kit?
Mike
pineranch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2011, 05:26 PM   #10
Trailer Trash 2
Montana Master

M.O.C. #639
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by pineranch

Don,
If he has the MOR/ryde system installed, does he still need to order the EZ flex kit?
Mike
I dont know Mike, but Im sure the Dexter will give him the answer to that. but it would be one question I would ask.
Old 10-21-2011, 08:13 AM   #11
stevemc
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #6587
I was just thinking about ordering a EZ Flex/wet bolt kit for our trailer. I'm sure our plastic bushings are shot and it bothers me not to be able to grease the suspension.
Of those who have installed these yourselves, do you have any advice, unforseen problems, etc? Would you do it again or leave it to the professionals next time?
I have a big flat concrete slab to work on and enough tools I'm tempted to try to do it myself but not sure what problems to expect.
stevemc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2011, 05:18 PM   #12
Ishler
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1328
I did it by myself in about 6 hours. Once you figure out how to do the first one the rest go much faster. It would have gone faster with a little help. Once I stopped going back and forth to my garage for more tools it went much faster.
Ishler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2011, 07:27 AM   #13
Exnavydiver
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7753
Send a message via AIM to Exnavydiver Send a message via MSN to Exnavydiver Send a message via Yahoo to Exnavydiver
Pine ranch, if you have the Mor-ryde suspension then you need to order the wet bolt kit from Morryde. If you order it from Dexter you will not get the "Z-brackets" which are required for installation on the Morryde system.
Exnavydiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2011, 02:47 PM   #14
YOPPER
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #6547
I have the Moryde Susp. Moryde is charging me $150 (2hrs) to put wet bolt kit on and 2 Xfactors.
YOPPER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2011, 01:30 AM   #15
Tom S.
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7500
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by stevemc

I was just thinking about ordering a EZ Flex/wet bolt kit for our trailer. I'm sure our plastic bushings are shot and it bothers me not to be able to grease the suspension.
Of those who have installed these yourselves, do you have any advice, unforseen problems, etc? Would you do it again or leave it to the professionals next time?
I have a big flat concrete slab to work on and enough tools I'm tempted to try to do it myself but not sure what problems to expect.
Like Mike Ishler, I installed ours myself and echo what he said. It helps to have 2 jacks: one to raise the trailer and a small one to raise/lower the axle to get the holes to line up. One very important thing: check each bolt before installing to make sure the holes are drilled properly and that grease flows through them! Two of ours weren't and I had to drill them deeper to make them work.
Tom S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2011, 09:47 AM   #16
Trailer Trash 2
Montana Master

M.O.C. #639
Update on the E Z flex instalation.
All done, and it looks good, it cost me 325. to get it installed that was a fair price I thought. and I didnt have to get dirty to get the job done. they did it in a day while my Monty was in the shop getting repaired, I cant wait to try them out on the road.