Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Montana Problems, Problem Solving & Technical Help
Click Here to Login

Old 05-22-2011, 08:19 AM   #1
Bill-N-Donna
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7110
Hu oh! ...The Air Conditioning quit! Up-Dated!

Yep, why not, we’re getting ready for a trip to Tennessee the second week in June and today the Air Conditioning went ka-put. Since we only have the one A/C I can’t foresee using the Monty without any air. I had the air on in the camper yesterday and left it that way. Today I noticed about 1:30 or so that it seemed to be much warmer than it should be inside the Monty. The temp was showing about 76°-77°F. The air was running but I didn’t notice whether or not it was struggling to keep on. A little bit later on it simply quit. I turned it off and let it set for a while and I can hear something clicking in the A/C whenever I try and turn it back on but nothing happens. My worst fear is that it bit the dust and motor is burnt up by the way its acting. Hopefully it just overheated and will come back to life but I doubt that to be the case. Is there any expert advice on what to do or check first before hauling it in for repairs?

Thanks!

On Edit: I found a breaker tripped but when I turned it back on all I get is the fan. The compressor isn’t coming on.

Up-date #2: I went back out there and the compressor had kicked on. It does appear to be working for now. I removed the filter and cleaned it and also opened the little vents that directly blow air into the room below the A/C instead of going through the vent system. My thinking is that it may provide some cooling with less strain on the A/C itself that way.

Up-date #3: It’s cooling down, I went inside the camper and it’s down to 76° inside. I slightly raised the temp and it kicked off. With the outside temperature running 90°+ I think I may look into getting another A/C to help supplement this hot weather. It may be doing what it’s supposed to do. The only problem I foresee is that I don’t have any indication that it’s pre-wired for one. However, if you asked a service dept. to add one I’m certain they will find a way for it to work.

As always any advice is appreciated!

See next post for latest up-date!

Old 05-22-2011, 08:44 AM   #2
Rondo
Site Team

M.O.C. #7560
Bill-- You could always hook up a BIG fan to the ceiling of the Monte that is connected by rope or twine to one of the rockers and while you rock the fan will swing back and forth and keep you cool! I know, just what you didn't need to hear! I'm sure Ozz or one of the other HVAC guys will be along shortly and give you some good advice on what to check and etc. Keeping my fingers crossed for you on not having to replace the unit! Keep us informed!

Edit #1-- Sounds to me it was froze up on you! It may be low on freon or coolant but I'm sure Ozz will confirm that or anyother possible cause! Good luck!
Rondo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2011, 11:48 AM   #3
Ozz
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5980
If the breaker was tripped, it probably tried to start and over amped. So may variables. Is the power to the RV amply sized?
Low voltage/high amperage. (Like a small gauge extension cord.)
If it is running now and cooling, I think you are Ok. Probably tried to start a few times and overheated.
I like the idea of 2 A/C units for hot weather.
Ozz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2011, 02:04 PM   #4
Bill-N-Donna
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7110

Well, I had a former co-worker who is now doing HVAC work come and look at our A/C today. The only thing he could come up with was how dirty the evaporator was. In time the dirt had built up lowering the efficiency by restricting the air flow. The fins on the evaporator were about 2/3 plugged with dirt. After a good cleaning I expect to see a big improvement. Thinking back I’ve never even pulled the top of the A/C to even look at it. Had I done so it would have been cleaned a lot sooner.

Feel free to learn from my negligence if you wish! This is something that we should all keep a check on. If we aren’t able to check it ourselves we should have someone else check it for us who is qualified to do so.
Bill-N-Donna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2011, 04:53 AM   #5
stiles watson
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2059
I have been disappointed with the OEM Dometic A/C from the start. It doesn't trip the breaker, but it will cut out, rest awhile, then come back on. This cycle is not because it has reached the temperature set on the thermostat. It is not efficient in cooling in hot weather. However, the second unit, a Carrier, is quite efficient. It is a non-ducted unit. I can control the direction of the air flow from the bedroom to the living area. The two of them together do a reasonably good job in hot weather.
stiles watson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2011, 05:22 AM   #6
Ozz
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5980
Stiles, I think the cut-out is your freeze-stat cycling off the compressor to keep it from slugging liquid to the valves.
The poor airflow of the ducting contributes to this, with the 'Dump' damper open, it shouldn't do it.
Also, the sensor may not be placed properly on the vaporator coil.
Ozz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2011, 12:16 PM   #7
snfexpress
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5140
What Ozz said about the position of the freeze sensor. Try moving it down an inch or two at a time so that it will continue to run but not freeze up. Ours was positioned way too high and we had a similar problem until I moved it (this was on a Dometic Penguin installed by the dealer).
snfexpress is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2011, 11:28 AM   #8
Bill-N-Donna
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7110

Ok, I thought it was going to work a little better well at least it hasn’t kicked off. I did go out to the camper the other day and it was cooling but it kept getting warmer until it got up to about 82°. I called my HVAC guy back over and he looked at more today. He decided the only thing that could be done that would help would be to replace it. So I called the dealer (Montana Dealer) explained that we were scheduled for vacation next week and we desperately needed to get a new one put on. They agreed they thought they could do it for us. The Monty is at the dealer now waiting for the biggest Duro-Therm A/C they have. I hope by what they said I should be able to pick it back up no later than Saturday.

Bill-N-Donna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2011, 11:55 AM   #9
Devildog
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #4958
And if you are coming to the southeast tennessee region, you will need that big one if not two of them. 97 degrees yesterday and at that same temp today. And very humid. More like the middle of July than the start of June.
Devildog is offline   Reply With Quote