Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Montana Problems, Problem Solving & Technical Help
Click Here to Login

Old 08-17-2009, 07:05 AM   #1
rwellesley
Established Member

M.O.C. #7799
Water Heater Coil

One of the coils on my water heater gas control valve needs to be replaced. Does anyone knnow where I can order one online? I checked the suburban website but couldn't find just a coil, I hate to spend $100 for a valve when all I need is a coil.

rwellesley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2009, 07:16 AM   #2
illapah
Montana Master

M.O.C. #666
Try:
http://www.pplmotorhomes.com/parts/r...ccessories.htm

or

http://www.rvupgradestore.com/
illapah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2009, 01:14 PM   #3
Carl n Susan
Site Team

M.O.C. #4831
Last winter, one of the Montanas in the circle at Quartzsite had one fail. We found a replacement at the RV parts store. The guy said he had sold four of them that day.

Carl n Susan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2009, 01:33 PM   #4
illapah
Montana Master

M.O.C. #666
btw, what is a 'coil' ???
illapah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2009, 06:09 PM   #5
rwellesley
Established Member

M.O.C. #7799
There are two coils on the gas valve on the suburban water heaters. When voltage is applied to the coils they become magnets and cause the gas valve to open.

I replaced one while in Apache Junction a couple years ago. I'm in Ruidoso,NM now and the only RV parts store I found doesn't have any. Guess I will wait till I get back home and see if the local RV store can get me one.
Old 08-18-2009, 04:57 AM   #6
Desert RVer
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #9307
I recently went through this. I was not able to find anyone who sold just the individual coil. Had to buy the whole valve assembly. Tried to find a new individual coil in a few of the local RV service departments. Most told me that they only way they could get an individual coil was to remove it from an old gas valve assembly that still had one good coil left. I could not get anyone to tell me that there was a source for new replacement coils. However, I didn't call Suburban directly. That might be worth a try. I now have a spare since only one of my coils shorted out. They are easy to change. Unfortunately when a coil shorts out it also destroys the Suburban Electronic module because it doesn't have a fused output. Well it does, it just burns up the etch trace conductor on the board. I replaced the Suburban board with a aftermarket board that does have a fused output for less cost and has a 3 year warranty vs the suburban's one year
Desert RVer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2009, 12:02 PM   #7
dsprik
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4282
How can you tell the coil is bad and that it is not something else?
dsprik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2009, 04:56 PM   #8
grooving grandpa
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #8250
Would someone be so kind as to post a picture of what the coil looks like, where exactly is it and what do you have to do to remove it. If I stay on this forum long enough I am going to know what I am doing.

Thanks, Lou
grooving grandpa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2009, 05:14 PM   #9
rwellesley
Established Member

M.O.C. #7799
DesertRVer... That's what I am finding. I did purchase a used one from a RV parts store in Apache Junction last year. I plan to call and see if they will sell me a couple of used ones.

Dsprik... I checked, the ignither was working, I then check voltage to the Selonoid while the unit was trying to light. This elimated the ignitor and control circuit. I then used an OHM meter to check the coils There should be 40-50 ohms resitantance. One of the coils had only 2 ohms indicating a short.

Groving Grandpa... I can't get a photo right now but if you look at the gas control valve you will see two cylinders with two wires connected to each one. When energized these open gas valve.
Old 08-21-2009, 03:16 AM   #10
dsprik
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4282
how much do those coils run?
dsprik is offline   Reply With Quote