Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 04-08-2009, 08:25 AM   #1
49merc
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #6266
Lost...one escape window!

Well, somewhere between Tucson and Phoenix our bedroom escape window is layingalong the road. The hinge is there with all the rivet holes intact but no winndow. We stopped just south of Phoenix to use the bathroom and it seemed a little breezy in the bedroom. It took a few minutes for it to dawn on us what had happened. I hope it didn't hit anyone. I pulled into a dealership just south of Phoenix but all they could tell me it would be 3 or 4 weeks to get one. They didn't seem all that much interested in helping me. When we got to Cottonwood I called Affinity in Prescott and they got right on it and I should have the new one in a few days. Unfortunately you have to buy the whole window assembly to get the new window which is mounted with a hinge that screws to the frame. So we should be in good shape soon. Why it happened I'm not sure but near as we can guess somebody (?) didn't get the handle latched properly although we did hit some gusty wind just south of Poenix. Just one of lifes little challenges!
Bob

49merc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2009, 08:52 AM   #2
H. John Kohl
Montana Master

M.O.C. #311
Send a message via AIM to H. John Kohl Send a message via MSN to H. John Kohl Send a message via Yahoo to H. John Kohl
Dave (EXNAVYDIVER) and I replaced our dual pane window with one that has a screen and can slide open for ventalation as well as act as the escape window. The window slides in a track up top, similar to the service doors' hinge. There should be two screws in the track, one on each end to keep it from coming out. If the screws were there the window should not have fallen out. I agree that the catch was probably not latched either.

I guess a preventative maintenance would be to check the top of the window for the bedroom and make sure both, but especially the back screw, screws are in place.
H. John Kohl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2009, 10:23 AM   #3
HamRad
Montana Master

M.O.C. #15
Bob,

Been there and done that! It was a real surprise for us too! Somewhere between King City and Morro Bay we lost it! Had part of the frame was dangling down the side of the rig. Sure looked strange. Still took me a minute or two to realize what had happened.

We patched it with cardboard and duct tape for a month or so. Took us about a week or so to get the replacement window. I seem to remember it cost about $140.00 or so. It actually come out and goes in very easily. Just a lot of screws to work in and out. We now tie the latch down so it cannot come open.

Good luck.

Dennis and Mary Kay
HamRad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2009, 10:41 AM   #4
daneboy
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #4854
I had the window open on me but didn't loose the window. It vibrates loose and opens. From then on I have used a heavy duty rubber band wrapped around the handle to the holder, end of problem.
Jerry
daneboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2009, 11:02 AM   #5
Emmel
Montana Master

M.O.C. #808
We had that same experience with our bedroom escape window. We inadvertenly didn't get it latched correctly and like you, hope no one was hit by it.
I got the entire replacement from Keystone and only installed the window, not the entire frame. I removed the holding screw and slid the window out of the frame and reversed the process to install it on the Montana. We now make sure it is latched the right way!!!!!
By the way, you also get the extra screen, yipee!
Emmel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2009, 11:03 AM   #6
02pullin
Established Member

M.O.C. #8959
It hasn't happened to us (yet) but since talking to Dennis I keep an eye on the latch. While rolling up the awning it got away from me and slammed the side pretty good. Checked inside and every cabinet door on the awning side of the bedroom was wide open. I'm sure with little effort the latch for the window could also unlatched.
02pullin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2009, 12:14 PM   #7
padredw
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2224
Send a message via Skype™ to padredw
This seems to be a pretty common problem. Here is my post from a year or two ago:

Quote:
quote:We had this exact experience on our 2955RL somewhere between home and our first stop for the night (Roosevelt State Park, Mississippi). We did NOT hear anything or see anything until we stopped and the glass was entirely shattered.

Here is my comment: the original window had a latch which opened when pushed DOWN. We think that in closing the blind before we left that latch got accidentally pushed down. Deductive reasoning, of course. The new window (purchased from Keystone, installed locally) had a latch which opened when pulled in and UP which we felt was much more secure and prevented the kind of accidental opening which we believe caused the problem in the first place.

Incidentally, we completed that trip of a few weeks by cutting out cardbard and covering it with heavy duty garbage bags. We used the screen as a template. It worked perfectly. When we got home we had plexiglass cut in the same way and used it until the replacement window arrived some time later. In fact, we could have used that plexiglass permanently. We prefered a complete replacement.
See especially the bolded sentence.
padredw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2009, 07:10 AM   #8
TLightning
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7871
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by daneboy

I had the window open on me but didn't loose the window. It vibrates loose and opens. From then on I have used a heavy duty rubber band wrapped around the handle to the holder, end of problem.
Jerry
We use a twisty that comes on a loaf of bread.
TLightning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2009, 02:51 PM   #9
sailer
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6977
We were told by the dealer to use a twisty on it or they are gone , yet in the 1st 3 yrs never lost it , but now its twisty shut,,sailer
sailer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2009, 08:24 AM   #10
49merc
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #6266
Well, I don't feel quite as bad after seeing I'm not alone on this one although I hope it doesn't happen to others. We will definately use something to lock the lever in place when traveling from now on. New window will arrive Monday and after looking closer (thanks for the suggestions) it should be an easy replacement. I did cover the opening with plexiglass as soon as we arrived in Cottonwood thinking it would have to wait till we got home so now I have a quick fix if it should ever happen again.LOL
Bob
49merc is offline   Reply With Quote