Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > HAVE MOC WILL TRAVEL > Campgrounds
Click Here to Login

Old 08-02-2008, 05:44 PM   #1
2inamonty

M.O.C. #1837
RV Parks in Texas

Hi Everyone,
Has anyone stayed at the Sunset Shores RV Park on Lake Conroe near Willis Texas? We have never been to Texas but would like to find somewhere different than our usual Florida location. The Sunset Shores park is close to a number of golf courses that we would like to play so we plan on spending a few months there next winter season. Any info would be helpful and appreciated.
Thanks , Ron & Mary

2inamonty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2008, 04:38 AM   #2
tom41
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6363
Ron, Mary, We are going to Kerrville/Ingram area for this winter which is in the "hill country". We have spent some winters there a few yrs back and much prefer this area over fla , The campground we will be at is "Johnson's creek cg, has 100 ft long sites, concrete pads all rds are paved, and lots to do.
Tom
tom41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2008, 06:39 AM   #3
Charlie
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3029
Traffic in Conroe is rather heavy even though it is several miles from Houston. Unless you have a specific need to be on that side of Conroe I would look to the west towards Montgomery which is more on the lake. There are several CG's on TX105.

If golf is a main priority take a look at this website for the Texas Parks.

http://www.tpwd.state.tx.us/spdest/a...creation/golf/

One of the most beautiful State parks in Texas is at Bastrop and it has an 18 hole course in the park. The park also has full hookups. I highly recommend it.
Charlie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2008, 07:03 AM   #4
Waynem
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7673
There are probably 200+ golf courses within a 50 mile radius of Houston. All are fairly easy to get to.
I have been by the CG you refer to and it looked nice from the highway.

We have stayed at North Shore CG, and a few others in the area and they were all nice. Do a satellite view if you can and see what the layout and spacing is.

I'm about ready to head out with DW for some shopping, but if you still need information I will do some research when I get back home and get back to you.

Conroe can get cold in the Winter. Here in Texas City we are from 5 degrees warmer in the Winter than Houston, and Conroe is 40-50 miles North of Houston. We have some very good golf courses around here. The Texas City Public course has water an 14 of the 18 holes if you really want a challenge, and the wind is typically always blowing.

Waynem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2008, 04:10 PM   #5
2inamonty

M.O.C. #1837
Thanks Everyone for the information. Sorry to be so long responding, we have a Civic holiday here in Ontario tomorrow and lots of visitors here in cottage country. The satellite view is a great idea, I'm going to check that right now. I think we might drive down for a couple of weeks to see first hand the various locations. Commiting to a three month stay without seeing the location could be disastrous. I would like to say how much I really appreciate the willingness of the members in this club to help out whenever they can. Although I don't post very often just reading the various threads is a tremendous source of info. Thanks again.
Ron & Mary
2inamonty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2008, 05:39 PM   #6
Waynem
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7673
Ron & Mary,
Try this site: Campgrounds In Texas

You will want to select the North Gulf Coast for Conroe/Willis area

You can do a Google search also for "Campgrounds in Texas" without the quotes (or with)

Edited: Here's one about 10 miles from me with a lighted par 3 for your daily needs.

http://www.greencayervpark.com/

Here's the golf course in my city:
http://www.texas-city-tx.org/GolfCourse.htm
About 8 miles from Green Caye

And here's one about 10 miles in the other direction:
http://www.beaconlakesgolf.com/golf/...aconlakesgolf/

Do a Google search on "League City Golf Course," or "Houston Golf Course," without the quotes and every one listed at the top Google maps is 10-40 minute drive. You'll be a pro by the time you get back home.
Waynem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2008, 05:28 AM   #7
Delaine and Lindy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6650
We have stayed at Rayfords Crossing north of Houston, and we really liked the park very nice people all concrete pads and very clean. GBY....
Delaine and Lindy is offline   Reply With Quote