Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Montana Problems, Problem Solving & Technical Help
Click Here to Login

Old 05-09-2007, 05:29 PM   #1
Charlotte
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #5847
slide squeak

My large slide makes a squealing sound when it is in motion, more so when sliding out, I always lubricate the geared part. I cannot seem to locate exactly where the sound is coming from. Has anyone out there had this problem?
Leon & Charlotte

Charlotte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2007, 06:37 PM   #2
bsmeaton
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6109
I'll wait anxiously for responses on this one Leon -

All of mine squeek except the bedroom. I'm either lubing in the wrong place, or using the wrong stuff, but can't seem to get rid of it .

bsmeaton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2007, 02:23 AM   #3
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
Well as I posted in the topic below this one ' Service center visit" mine rumbled, squealed, squeaked, etc and now they are whisper quiet after my service center visit. I do note that all the slide mechanism are lubricated with something that is white?????
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2007, 03:42 AM   #4
campbud
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3142
Brad, ours are the same way. Will be interested to see what to use to make this stop.
Rich, let us know if you find out what Keystone used.

Bob
campbud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2007, 04:27 AM   #5
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
It is white like White Lithium grease would be but I do not recall this being a recommended lubricant. I will ask .
Old 05-10-2007, 06:04 PM   #6
Russ and Sandy
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #561
We had a problem with our prior 5th wheel that sounds very similar. It was a very high pitched annoying squeal. I was able to solve the problem by using a soft cloth to rub hydraulic fluid on the exposed (extended shiny part) of the slide ram. I had to do this every few months. From comments here by Dale of Lippert I would assume plain old automatic transmission fluid would work too. Hope this helps solve your squeal.
Russ and Sandy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2007, 06:07 AM   #7
Crossthread
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6460
Mine too squealed loud enough that a neighbor across the street said he'd lube my garage door if I'd let him!! I made an appt. with the nearest Montana dealer. After 3 hours of adjusting, lubing the drive gears,it was quiet....for a week.
As has been discussed,suggested about the wiring across the sharp frame edges, I decided to drop what I could of the bottom cover.
The inner slide rails??(mechanism) was totally dry with a light rust coating on the top(fixed)part of the rails. I took a 1 1/2 inch cheap paint brush, attached to an old broom stick, and lubed the inside of the top rail with white lithium grease. So far, its been very quiet. Should the need arise again to lube it, I will use a 3"hole saw, cut an opening about the center of the rails, and lube from that point. I will definitely suggest that all sharp edges of the frame be covered to protect the electrical,hyd. hoses, and water lines. Bill
Crossthread is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2007, 01:40 PM   #8
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
The "white" is probably TFE 101 dry lubricant or something similar. The service center used to use TFE 101 but I don't know what they use now.

I don't know what is causing the squeal on Charlotte's rig but quite often it is the seals around the slide. There is a lubricant for them available at Camping World, RV Dealers, and sometimes Walmart. They are most likely to squeal in cold or cool weather but can do it in warmer weather if the seals are excessively dry. The lube is a spray. You need to spray both sides of the seals. I try to do ours annually although I don't know if that's sufficiently often.
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2007, 03:27 PM   #9
Crossthread
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6460
Steve, I have some slide spray from an R V dealer. It says good for 720 hours at 100% humidity. Its not much better than LPS 2.,or Lps3 or transmission fluid on it.
AS my slide went out,or when bringing it in, you could follow the sound through the floor.Thats what prompted me to look deeper .I was hopeing that there was a neopreme guide on top of the inner slider tube.I've wire brushed the drive gear, the long gear arrached to the slide tubes,and lubed them 4 times, then made an appt with a Montana dealer.
What I am looking for is the grease that is used in the landing leg gears,and the electric motor drive gears. Its fairly clear and doesn't dry out.(Kinda look like vaseline) Bill
Crossthread is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2007, 04:54 PM   #10
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
Bill, I'm not talking about the moving parts under the slide. Rather, I meant the long, black rubber(?) weather seals that press against the sides and top and possibly the bottom. When they get dry they set up quite a squeal. Especially when cold but they also can do it when warm.

I've dry lubed the teeth on the square bars underneath and also shot dry lube into the gear pack from outside the rig but have never had to go into the belly to lube anything. Not that it would never be needed. I just haven't run into that.

Whatever you do, don't put anything on any exposed part that will cause it to collect dirt.
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2007, 06:09 AM   #11
genecurp
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #2535
Last fall i had this begin with my slides. Not very loud. The dealer tech lubricated the black weather seals, the long black flaps that hang along slideout edges. No more squeak.

I wasn't smart enough to ask what he had used.

Gene
genecurp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2007, 06:44 AM   #12
txkrumm
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5920
And here all this time I just assumed the squeaks were normal.....Another something on steve's "to do list...
t
txkrumm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2007, 08:27 AM   #13
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
The white stuff I alluded to in a previous post IS TFE 101 as Steve S. stated. That stuff is not cheap but it works real good.That squeal..sort of like chalk on a blackboard is no doubt the rubber seals.