Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Tow Vehicles & Towing
Click Here to Login

Old 01-13-2015, 07:01 AM   #21
Willy Bee
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #15919
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by mlh

I agree with Willy Bee about the tuner but where did you get the 12 speed transmission?
Lynwood
Its a Eaton Fuller Road ranger 5g12 transmission. Its is what bolts up to any 6.7 cummins engine And its a true 12 speed its 6 up 6 under

Willy Bee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2015, 07:03 AM   #22
Willy Bee
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #15919
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Tom S.

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Willy Bee

I have a Bully Dog Tuner that plugs into my OBD port so it will act as a code reader and it will clear all codes. It will also setup different tunes for MPG or power going up hills. Well worth the money.
Except for the fact that tuning the engine kills the manufacturers warranty.
When you load yur bully dog tune you copy you the tune that comes from the factory, so it does not void any warranty issues.
Old 01-13-2015, 08:27 AM   #23
mlh
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2283
Thanks never herd of one.
Lynwood
mlh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2015, 09:31 AM   #24
Willy Bee
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #15919
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by mlh

Thanks never herd of one.
Lynwood
goto www.bullydog.com you can read all about it.
Old 01-13-2015, 11:59 AM   #25
mlh
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2283
Thanks Willy Bee I was asking about the 12 speed. I totally agree about the tuner. My 08 Ford has a Spartan tuner with the 210 HP tune loaded. If you do the math that gives it about 600 flywheel HP. Love it except at 9000 feet elevation with a cold engine. Then It can't build enough boost to burn all the fuel in cold combustion chambers. Just give it a few minutes.
Lynwood
mlh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2015, 01:51 PM   #26
7.3Ford
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9808
My Edge CTS with Juice, will also read codes and give the meaning.

To read the codes the engine cannot be running, but all the other OBI values bed displayed in real time. The CTS will also start de-fueling the engine if EGT is reaching max set point. I have my set point set to 200 degrees below the max for my engine, and have never seen it reduce power.
7.3Ford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2015, 02:43 AM   #27
Tom S.
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7500
Quote:

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Tom S.

Quote:

I have a Bully Dog Tuner that plugs into my OBD port so it will act as a code reader and it will clear all codes. It will also setup different tunes for MPG or power going up hills. Well worth the money.
Except for the fact that tuning the engine kills the manufacturers warranty.

When you load yur bully dog tune you copy you the tune that comes from the factory, so it does not void any warranty issues.

And the factory can tell each time you've loaded a tune as it is recorded in the truck's computer. Warranty void. Ask your dealer.

From your Ram Warranty Book:

Quote:
quote:Performance or racing parts are considered to be
non-Chrysler parts. Repairs or adjustments caused by
their use are not covered under your warranties.
Tom S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2015, 05:46 AM   #28
Tom S.
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7500
Jim, my point was to warn others that tuners will void warranties, and that point is made. In Willie's case, I don't know if replacing the trans would void the engine warranty or not, but the tuner certainly does. And you're right about Autozone - or any other car parts place. They will run the scan for free. But before people go buying parts based on some minimum wage kid's recommendation, write down the codes and investigate possible causes on your own.
Old 01-14-2015, 07:39 AM   #29
Willy Bee
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #15919
Hey Guy, Have had the tuner since truck was new and I have had codes come up that was fixed by the dealers under warranty. Bully dog is excepted by Dodge as to be a tuner that they will not void. As far as my transmission, When I bought the truck I had my dealer take the the truck to eaton for the trans swap. Dodge dose not warranty the trans but eaton does. So i have been covered by all warranty since new. i also have extended warranty on the truck and I am covered by all. Have not had a problem because told Dodge what I was doing with the truck and if they wanted to sell me that truck they were going to know that there was things I was doing to the truck before I bought it. Money talks, people walk.
Old 01-14-2015, 09:23 AM   #30
Tom S.
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7500
Quote:

Hey Guy, Have had the tuner since truck was new and I have had codes come up that was fixed by the dealers under warranty. Bully dog is excepted by Dodge as to be a tuner that they will not void. As far as my transmission, When I bought the truck I had my dealer take the the truck to eaton for the trans swap. Dodge dose not warranty the trans but eaton does. So i have been covered by all warranty since new. i also have extended warranty on the truck and I am covered by all. Have not had a problem because told Dodge what I was doing with the truck and if they wanted to sell me that truck they were going to know that there was things I was doing to the truck before I bought it. Money talks, people walk.
Show me in writing. If there was any truth to that, BD would be advertising it like mad on their website. Instead, there's no such claim. You have been lucky because nothing you have had fixed has been major or related to the engine. Develop a major engine problem where the factory gets involved and you'll watch your warranty fly out the window and you holding the bag. Just remember, the dealer will tell you anything to keep you as a customer, so long as they aren't out any money. But if the factory finds out, you'll be screwed.
Old 01-14-2015, 01:34 PM   #31
Willy Bee
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #15919
First off I will not put any of my personal stuff on here like my contract for the truck, but I do have everything in writing on my contract that I was installing a tuner and I was swapping out my transmission for the 12 speed. i have had 2 codes that were engine related and it was fixed by an out of state dealer (Nashville TN) with no problems what so ever. #2, I never finance a automobile, I pay cash for everything I drive so I am not have to be at the call of a finance company she it comes to have anything done to my cars and trucks, so that being said when I go into make deal I have then write up a due bill on what I will have added to the truck I.E. tuner, trans, radios, what every. They have to bide by that contract and they do. I have had this dodge for over a year and I have had no problem with any dealer and also I have had no big problem with the truck and I have 100,000 mile extended warranty on the Dodge. By the way that warranty was not bought thru the dealer, Way to much money. You can believe me or not its really not my problem. I call them a As do them. Like I said, Money talks people walk
Old 01-14-2015, 02:35 PM   #32
Tom S.
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7500
I salute you on being the only Ram owner in the United States to own a Truck whose warranty includes damage done by a 3rd party programmer. Congratulations.