Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Montana Problems, Problem Solving & Technical Help
Click Here to Login

Old 01-31-2013, 12:01 PM   #1
Roamingusa
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #4995
Shower enclosure

Has anyone had problems with the shower enclosure yellowing? Ours is the cream color and it seems to be yellowing up high away from where the water hits. The skylight in the shower, is yellow too. I have tried everything I can think of to get rid of it, nothing works!!

Roamingusa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 01:34 PM   #2
racerjoe
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7770
Ours did the that also. It yellowed on the shelfs where the shampoo bottles were sitting, we used a bleach mix and it cleaned up most of it, our sky light has a tinge of yellow must be the "quality"plastics :-)
racerjoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 02:38 PM   #3
snfexpress
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5140
For the plastic, you can use rubbing alcohol to clean it up. As an example, the stove vent on the outside which yellows, use some alcohol and it will take the top, yellowed, layer off, kinda like using liquid sandpaper.
snfexpress is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2013, 01:31 AM   #4
RJI47
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #6002
Send a message via AIM to RJI47 Send a message via Yahoo to RJI47
I'm surprised that the clear skylight in the shower would yellow, but I would also bet that the sun beating in thru that area is what's turning the shelves yellow. I've heard of some people replacing their skylight with a "smoked" color instead of clear. That would help.
RJI47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2013, 01:47 AM   #5
Roamingusa
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #4995
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by RJI47

I'm surprised that the clear skylight in the shower would yellow, but I would also bet that the sun beating in thru that area is what's turning the shelves yellow. I've heard of some people replacing their skylight with a "smoked" color instead of clear. That would help.
Sorry, it's the surround of the skylight and we have a piece of foil covering it.
Old 02-02-2013, 01:52 AM   #6
Roamingusa
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #4995
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by racerjoe

Ours did the that also. It yellowed on the shelfs where the shampoo bottles were sitting, we used a bleach mix and it cleaned up most of it, our sky light has a tinge of yellow must be the "quality"plastics :-)
Thanks for the suggestion, here is what I have tried. Bleach,alcohol,peroxide,comet,shower cleaners,CLR. I believe it is the quality after all, well I have a VERY clean "yellow" shower ! LOL
Old 02-02-2013, 02:00 AM   #7
Ozz
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5980
RetrObrite is something that folks use.
Here is the link to it:

http://retr0bright.wikispaces.com/

I ripped this off the Airstream Forum:
http://www.airforums.com/forums/f39/...tic-50799.html

Hi all. Pretty much all of the plastic in our 1976 Sovereign was very yellow and I really didn't want to paint it if at all possible. Thanks to the wonders of the Internet we came across this site RetrObrite: Open Source Problem Solving - PSFK.com

We figured if it worked for computer plastic it should work for the plastic in our trailer so we gave it a try with excellent results. The concoction is cheap and easy to make with ingredients found at your local drug store and beauty supply. The instructions are available on the website but I would be happy to post the recipe and instructions here. You simply make up the gel, brush it on the plastic and put it out in the sun.

(Pictures on the original post)
The first shows an untreated piece in the lower left corner then clockwise a piece treated one time and two pieces treated twice. Once it is back to the original color it won't lighten any more. The second picture shows a piece that was treated except for the back that won't be seen. Some of the mixture dripped down and illustrates how well it works.

We did all of our plastic including the large pieces in the bathroom and I am amazed at how great they look. Yay no painting!

This was another post:
Hydrogen peroxide is a chemical that can cause burns to the skin and can cause blindness if splashed in the eyes so please wear gloves and eye protection when handling it. The following recipe has been tested and is safe to use when prepared properly. If you decide to deviate from the recipe I don't know what might happen.

The recipe for the gel I used is:

8oz Hydrogen Peroxide 10 to 15% (I used 40 volume from Sally Beauty. Make sure it is a clear peroxide and not a creme. You want as few additives as possible)
1 1/2 tablespoons of Arrowroot powder (This is for thickening it into a gel. Cornstarch might work just as well.)
1 teaspoon of Glycerine Oil (available at a pharmacy)
1/4 teaspoon of an Oxy-type laundry booster powder
1 teaspoon of hot water (to dissolve the oxy powder before mixing it in)
gloves (grabbed a box while at Sally Beauty)
small paintbrush
eye protection

In a glass bowl or plastic container mix the peroxide, arrowroot and glycerine oil. Microwave the mixture for 30 seconds and stir. Microwave another 30 seconds and stir. Let it sit for just a bit and stir it again. The mixture should begin to thicken and may be sufficiently gelled at this point. If it still seems too watery microwave for another 15-20 seconds. It won't smell very good but it doesn't produce nasty vapors or anything. Let the mixture cool for a bit while you dissolve the oxy powder in a bit of hot water. The gel will not activate until the booster powder is mixed in. Once the dissolved powder is mixed in your gel will foam up a bit. The warmer the gel the more it will foam so make sure it isn't super hot. I used a metal whisk to mix it in really well. Grab your brush and coat all areas you want brightened with a fairly good layer of the gel. Put your pieces in the sun and leave them there for several hours. I left mine all day. Rinse off the gel and reapply if needed.

Doubling this recipe in an 8 cup glass measuring bowl coated all of our plastic pieces one time. Make sure all of your plastic is clean and dry before you start. I have found that three applications got mine back to the original color but YMMV. We haven't applied any sort of plastic protectant at this point but if anyone has any thoughts on this please let me know.

Ozz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2013, 02:13 AM   #8
hookman
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6237
Try awesome it will remove the yellow just make sure to rinse it off with in a few minutes
hookman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2013, 02:56 AM   #9
Roamingusa
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #4995
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by hookman

Try awesome it will remove the yellow just make sure to rinse it off with in a few minutes
Thanks, but tried that also
Old 02-02-2013, 04:56 AM   #10
Carl n Susan
Site Team

M.O.C. #4831
Our 2005 shower enclosure also showed yellow discoloration where the sun hit it frequently. Our solution was to trade the rig for another. Sorry I don't have an easier fix but I wanted to verify that you are not alone.

Carl n Susan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2013, 05:00 AM   #11
1retired06
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12156
We have not experienced that.
F350 crew cab dually 6.7
1retired06 is offline   Reply With Quote