Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 04-30-2011, 12:57 AM   #1
bobsals
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #10232
Another Slide Problem

Greetings, if you have a slide on your Montana, you might want to read this. I'm sure this is not the only time this has been posted but would like your input. When running the slides out this spring, I noticed a black mark on the carpet near the edge of the entertainment slide. See pic below.

Original full size picture is here: http://i51.tinypic.com/c84k3.jpg

After lifting up the carpet and rubber flap, I discovered a broken piece of plywood and a curled up piece of black nylon tape.

It was the curled up tape's sticky side that was making the black mark on the carpet. I used a sheetrock knife to cut off the curled up tape and just picked up the broken piece of wood. Has anyone else experienced this and what have you done to remedy it. Of course, it's out of warranty now. I know it's just a matter of time before more of the tape begins to curl and need to remedy it soon. Also, has anyone tried to "lift" a slide to gain access to the under side of it?
Thanks

On Edit: Picture size reduced to conform to MOC guidelines and to prevent left/right scrolling. In the future, please read http://www.montanaowners.com/forums/...ad.php?t=40141 before posting pictures. Thanks!
CRAFT-Guy

bobsals is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2011, 04:28 AM   #2
Mrs. CountryGuy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6337
With the slide only partially opened, you can indeed have someone push on the top, causing the bottom to lift a bit for better access.

Been there, done that, thanks to Dennis tbhd (or is that tbhd2?), when we had a little broken glass ware incident and bits and pieces were under the kitchen slide waiting to scratch my wood floor.

So, thanks to Dennis, I know it works. We did not get a lot of lift, but, we only put the slide out a little bit, not sure how far out you can go and still safely tip. But, you can do it.

(By the way, the photos are a bit large, probably past MOC recommended sizes.)
Mrs. CountryGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2011, 06:23 AM   #3
Phil P
Montana Master

M.O.C. #11206
Hi

We had a problem similar to MRS. CountryGuy.

It was with the kitchen slide. It was completely closed and had tipped out going around a curve and something had slid under it. I pushed it out at the top and my wife retrieved the item and all was well.

Out of curiosity I had my wife drive the rig and I followed her on I95 in my pickup. It doesn’t take much of a curve at 60 mph to cause the kitchen slide to lean out at the top. This is most probably due to the narrow footprint and most of the weight (Microwave and freezer) being up high and on the outside wall.

I talked to the selling dealer about this and he told me that some of the units are delivered to him with a device between the top of the kitchen slid and the side of the trailer to stop this so rain doesn’t leak in during the delivery. He offered to get me a couple but I declined as it doesn’t seem to damage any thing and we normally pull of the road in heavy rain. Besides that if I forget about them the resulting damage could be very expensive.

Phil P
If you get a page not available then remove the "s" after HTTP
Phil P is offline   Reply With Quote