Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 12-31-2007, 06:23 AM   #1
illapah
Montana Master

M.O.C. #666
riding in Montana

I know it is unsafe and unlawful in some areas. However, noting that, has anyone rode in a Montana that was being towed down the road? If so, to my real query, how smooth is the ride?

illapah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2007, 06:32 AM   #2
CmdrDewey
Montana Master

M.O.C. #433
Well we were stopped in a long line of traffic at a construction site and DW went back to get something to eat. Suddenly traffic began to move and I looked in the mirror and saw the steps were up and the door closed so I slowly started to drive. It was about three miles before I could find a place to pull off. I never went over 35 but DW said it was very unpleasant. I know she would not recommend it under any conditions.
CmdrDewey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2007, 08:40 AM   #3
HamRad
Montana Master

M.O.C. #15
A few years ago my wife was having a lot of back pain. So out in the hinterlands of western NM she wanted to lay down. She and our two furry friends rode in the rig for about fifty miles. They were on the bed. She reported that it was cold, noisy, and somewhat difficult to relax. She has not ridden in the trailer since.

HamRad
HamRad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2007, 09:05 AM   #4
illapah
Montana Master

M.O.C. #666
What drove the question is that we usually travel with our ferrets in the 5th while going down the road. We keep a remote temp sending unit in the 5th to moniter the heat. When the temp rises, we move them to the truck and AC.
illapah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2007, 12:59 PM   #5
mtheo
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6171
It is legal in CA and some other states to ride in a fifth wheel and long as you have two way communications. We did it for years with our kids, they said it was nosie but it was better than riding in the back seat of the club cab we had.
Not sure it was the safest but I just we made it through 10 years of it without a hitch, some time I thought it would have been safer there than in the cab, especially in a head on accident.
They did say it got cold in there.
Mark
mtheo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2007, 02:13 PM   #6
Okie Guy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6054
This is illegal in the state of Oklahoma...and highly discouraged. I live a couple miles from an insurance salvage yard/auction house. They usually have about 10-15 totaled trailers in there at a time. After looking at one of the salvage units I wouldn't even ride out a thunder storm in my trailer.
Okie Guy is offline   Reply With Quote