Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Montana Problems, Problem Solving & Technical Help
Click Here to Login

Old 07-31-2017, 09:02 PM   #1
rfrancis

M.O.C. #20017
Slide Outy Issues

Enjoying my new High Country 353RL but having a slide out problem. The slide for the kitchen (stove, frig) will only go out half way and stop. If I wait for a few minutes and try it again it will go out the rest of the way. No problem with bringing it back in or with the other two slide outs. Any ideas?

rfrancis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2017, 10:02 PM   #2
Carl n Susan
Site Team

M.O.C. #4831
The most likely and common cause is the self resetting curcuit breaker. Replace it, preferably with an 80 amp, and all will be good.

What you say, never heard of this? Well do a Search using the terms "self resetting" to read hundreds of posts on this failure.

Carl n Susan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2017, 05:48 AM   #3
1retired06
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12156
Certainly a common fix for the hydraulic slides.
F350 crew cab dually 6.7
1retired06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2017, 07:13 AM   #4
rfrancis

M.O.C. #20017
Sorry I should have added that I have a cable system
Old 08-01-2017, 11:13 AM   #5
phillyg
Montana Master

M.O.C. #17801
Quote:
Originally Posted by rfrancis View Post
Sorry I should have added that I have a cable system

The start/stop issue is not limited to hydraulic slides. I've experienced it with the BAL cable slide, Swintek slides, hydraulic slides, and the LCI power leveling. Anything that is protected by the inadequate self-resetting breaker can potentially overload it.
phillyg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2017, 01:16 PM   #6
cw3jason
Montana Master

M.O.C. #17256
Quote:
Originally Posted by phillyg View Post
The start/stop issue is not limited to hydraulic slides. I've experienced it with the BAL cable slide, Swintek slides, hydraulic slides, and the LCI power leveling. Anything that is protected by the inadequate self-resetting breaker can potentially overload it.
To add to this, a low battery will increase the amp draw to move the slides and will trip the self resetting thermal breakers more than a healthy fully charged battery.
cw3jason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2017, 09:42 PM   #7
rfrancis

M.O.C. #20017
Thanks for the replies. I will search the self resetting breaker.
Old 08-02-2017, 08:09 PM   #8
timandpeggy
Established Member

M.O.C. #17685
Just had the gearbox for that same Slide on our 353RL fail.

Keystone's engineers spec'd the basic Slide motor from BAL (who makes the AccuSlide system we have). We had the exact same issue with the Slide stopping and needing to cool until it could continue. Sometimes, this would take a few times.

Since our gearbox failed (causing ratcheting, chattering and jumping of the Slide with no movement), we attempted to replace the gearbox. No joy, they're back ordered 2- 5 weeks from BAL. I asked if the motor/ gearbox was available, and the vender we were talking with had them, and it is the next up version. Stronger motor, different gear ratio making the Slide operation slower but transmits more torque. It'll be here in a couple of days than installed.
timandpeggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2017, 06:01 AM   #9
beeje
Montana Master

M.O.C. #17894
I have a 2011 3455sa ( 4 all hydraulic slides) and I have experienced the slides stopping while extending and retracting a few times. They draw a lot of amps while moving. I have 2 six volt and 2 12 volt batteries and still had the issue. I have learned that if I plug into shore power first and disconnect last I do not have the issue. If I have no shore power I will hook up to the genny before moving any slides or level up legs. Slides have not stopped once while hooked up to shore power. You may also try to leave the cord plugged into the truck with it running while the slides are moved to give you a boost in battery power.
beeje is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2017, 08:30 PM   #10
Denny and Angie Miller
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #19889
Quote:
Originally Posted by cw3jason View Post
To add to this, a low battery will increase the amp draw to move the slides and will trip the self resetting thermal breakers more than a healthy fully charged battery.
Quote:
Originally Posted by beeje View Post
I have a 2011 3455sa ( 4 all hydraulic slides) and I have experienced the slides stopping while extending and retracting a few times. They draw a lot of amps while moving. I have 2 six volt and 2 12 volt batteries and still had the issue. I have learned that if I plug into shore power first and disconnect last I do not have the issue. If I have no shore power I will hook up to the genny before moving any slides or level up legs. Slides have not stopped once while hooked up to shore power. You may also try to leave the cord plugged into the truck with it running while the slides are moved to give you a boost in battery power.
X2 on this...I have even had a similar issue once with one of the rear jacks giving an error code due to hi amps, presumably due to having traveled several hours with battery supplying the fridge, then trying to level prior to plugging in to shore power. Now shore power is the first on arrival, last on departure and no issues since.
Denny and Angie Miller is offline   Reply With Quote