Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Sitting around the Campfire
Click Here to Login

Old 12-29-2006, 09:13 PM   #1
hookman
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6237
Membership Campgrounds

How many members belong to a membership campground system.I thought it would be interesting to find out. My wife and I belong to Holiday Trails in B.C. When we started to camp again after afew lean years we found it to be the cheapeast way to camp over time because with the membership we were not limited to when we had funds to go(pay for the camp spot each weekend). Just in weekend camping we go between 25 to 50 nights a year plus holidays. We also use recipical systems.

hookman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2006, 01:21 AM   #2
smc
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #3125
We looked at a membership, but decided against it. You could only stay 2 weeks in one campground, and the other ones were out
of the area we stay in. Could pay a lot of fees for what the membership cost. That was just one company, and we have not looked since.
smc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2006, 01:38 AM   #3
ken
Montana Master

M.O.C. #345
We belong to Thousand Trails and Outdoor World membership campgrounds. Yes the dues are up there, but using both memberships in the winter in Florida, we camp for free and more than make up our membership dues. The downside is moving every two weeks, but for us, thats not a problem. During the rest of the year, we use one or the other at least one week out of each month. Outdoor World we have had for years. Thousand Trails was purchased as a resale from another person.
ken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2006, 02:23 AM   #4
boylanag
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5965
We are members of a package that includes C2C, ROD and AOR, along with our home parks Outdoor Adventures. We purchased this when we were younger and earning and now only pay the yearly dues. Like Ken, we camp in the south for free or very cheaply and have no problem moving every two weeks. As a matter of fact, since it is what we are used to, we like the changes that moving brings.
boylanag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2006, 03:01 AM   #5
Glenn and Lorraine
Montana Master

M.O.C. #420
Never really saw the value in these campground memberships. I'd rather use my Passport America or even Good Sam than have money tied up in such a poor investment. I have seen couples pay thousands of dollars for these memberships only to turn around a short time later and sell them at a huge loss. It just doesn't add up. I would suggest doing some research before buying in. These memberships can be bought for a few hundred from a disgruntled member than the thousands spent for a new membership.
Also many campground members NEVER bought into these memberships in the first place but rather it was thrown in with the sale of the RV. Now that I think I could handle until the first time I had to pay the dues and I'd be right back to my Passport and Good Sam..
Anyway, We have been on the move at least every couple weeks from the end of late Spring into Summer and early Fall. When winter roles around it's time to set up for a few months and just sit back and relax without worrying about where I'm going find my next campground in 2 weeks in an area that is already overcome with Snowbirds vying for that same site and willing to pay the going rate rather than a freebee. It's also a great time to start planning for your next Summer excursion. It's also a great time to do some of the preventive maintenance you were putting off all summer.
Glenn and Lorraine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2006, 03:45 AM   #6
ols1932
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1944
It really all depends on your own situation. For us, membership in Coast-to-Coast and Thousand Trails (TT), and Escapees RV Club has been really beneficial. Though the TT membership was pricey at the time ($3,000) when we bousght it (20002), the first year we stayed in TT parks 87 nights. Since then we've stayed in TT parks on an average of 50 nights/year for a total of 287 nights. When you do the math, adding in $400/year maintenance fees ($1600 for four years), the cost per night averages out to $16/night. I don't think that's too bad. We've paid a lot more than that (KOA, and many independent CGs). In a lot of these places we've been socked with $35-45. When we couple our total costs park costs with boondocking costs, we get along very well.

We also have a membership with Catalina Spa RV Resort in Desert Hot Springs, CA. Cost there was $1500 with maintenance fee of $325/year which should have been included in the first paragraph. We have this membership because of the location, located near relatives.

I don't recommend membership parks for everyone. I do recommend Good Sam and RPI (a membership we didn't renew this year because Coast-to-Coast affiliates with most of the same parks that RPI is affiliated with.

Before anyone decides to come down on anyone who has/doesn't have CG memberships, remember that everyone's situation and desires are different. Some see the benefits and use them and some just don't see where they would reap the benefits. Foru us, we are able to reap the benefits.

Orv
ols1932 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2006, 04:32 AM   #7
melnjoy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1935
We belong to Sunrise Resorts & RPI. We have already in the last year and 1/2 recouped the cost of joining and have surpassed the cost of our yearly dues. We only pay $1.00 per night at the Sunrise CGs, and between $7-$18 per night on the RPI's. Again, the only inconvenience is having to move every 2 weeks when you plan to stay in an area for a month or two. But we are happy with what we have. While traveling if need be, we also use the Good Sam discounts.

Joy
melnjoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2006, 04:54 AM   #8
Parrothead
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1989
Send a message via MSN to Parrothead
We have never purchased a membership like TT. The big reason was up until I retired we used the RV for work and we had to be in a certain place and there was often not one of those campgrounds in the area. We use Good Same discount, did KOA also. This year we joined Passport America and it has paid for itself. When fulltiming starts, hopefully next summer, we may join Escapees also. We plan to stay a month or two in most places. I agree with Orv, each person's situation is different. There is no right or wrong here, just what works best for you. And I'm sure the people who bought memberships have used them enough to gain back the price therefore they did not waste money.
Happy trails...................
Parrothead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2006, 06:03 AM   #9
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
we agree that the memberships are not for everyone. We would not like to be moving every two weeks and.. Shazam... we pretty much agree with Glenn (2 n's).IMO you have to pretty much adapt your travel and lifestyle to the programs rules and regulations.. Ok for some..not for others.
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2006, 07:52 AM   #10
Chuck and Carol
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1011
We belong to TT and ROD. TT costs us $500 a year for 50 nights. If we wanted to stay longer than two weeks, we would then pay a reduced extended camping rate. It is very convienent for us. Chuck is from PA and we camp two or three times a year at Hershey. Then drive to see his sister.

Hopefully the first week of March we are going to Fla. But I have seen my trips vanish in the wind before . Using both TT and ROD for that. Maybe throw in a Passport America campground.

Carol
Chuck and Carol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2006, 08:52 AM   #11
hookman
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6237
We used our membership enough to recoup the cost in 4yrs then payed a lump sum for dues for life and in 3yrs camped enough to pay that off. Our membership is 21 days in 7 days out of that park but we can go to any other park in the system ( 9 park system). We have AOR 14 days peak season 21 non peak $6 a night, we paid for lifetime dues here also and RPI 7 days in then move on $8 a night $65 dues a year. We also use other Rv campgrounds. It is not everyones style but nice to know that the other Monty in the park could be a MOC member
Old 12-31-2006, 10:53 AM   #12
Connorsmom
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #6592
I have what they call a seasonal membership at the private campground I belong to in Michigan. There is a basic site fee, and variable other fees based on an individual basis ie: A/C, golf cart, wireless internet. The campground is open mid April thru mid October. I am usually there 3-4 days a week when it's open. I definitely get my moneys worth out of it!! Before my injury...and I worked all the time, I lived for Friday night so I could get up there for the weekend...LOL Even if I decide to travel, I'll keep my season site there in the summer, pull out if I want to take a trip, and go south for the winter months. Once I move out of my apartment in June, then live in the 5er full time, I'll definitely get great use out of my seasonal membership!! It sure looks good on paper, but then life tends to get in the way. Are there other's here who are season site holders at campgrounds...or is what I do a different kind of thing altogether? Happy New Year everyone!...:-) Jan
Connorsmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2007, 11:20 AM   #13
exav8tr
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6333
Another newbie question: Is there a comprehensive listing of all the membership lans listed somewhere, or do we just go to each one for info? Secondly, is each program for certain parks? How does it work if you want to travel full time and use different plans?

Thanks folks for all your input.

Phil P.
exav8tr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2007, 03:49 PM   #14
melnjoy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1935
One thing to remember when buying one of these memberships is that the sales people work on commision and the price is VERY negotable. When I bought yours I used one agianst the other to get the best price and benefits. Like Joy said at Sunrise we pay $1.00 per night for two weeks we then have to move or we have to pay $15.00 per night for 7 nights then back to $1.00 a total of $128. per month for full hock ups can't live any where that cheap.
Mel
melnjoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2007, 04:39 PM   #15
hookman
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6237
You can also buy used memberships for alot cheaper. We have a free RV magazine called RV Times that list memberships for sale in their wantads www.rvtimes.com Some systems are great some aren't.
Old 01-14-2007, 10:43 AM   #16
dmr1021
Established Member

M.O.C. #5682
We have a membership with Western Horizons, ROD and AOR. It's been great for us as we're full-timing now and tend to plan our travels accordingly. We also use Passport America for those times a membership CG isn't where we want to go.
dmr1021 is offline   Reply With Quote