Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Additions & Improvements
Click Here to Login

Old 03-21-2006, 04:49 PM   #41
rickfox
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2959
Al,

Since I'm cheap and since I carry 2 12 volt batteries (one for my rubber boat) I have both positives connected, and just switch the negative lead between batteries to keep them both charged. When the rig is in storage, I just leave the negative disconnected. By pressing down (or pulling up) and making a turning motion it only takes about 5 seconds to connect or remove the negative lead.

My question is, if I install and use a disconnect switch, will it keep the storms away - just kidding.

rickfox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2006, 12:57 AM   #42
keepontruckin
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #2484
Send a message via MSN to keepontruckin
I am a bit confused. I see a number of replies own a 2005 model of a Montana. The 2005 3500RL has a battery kill switch installed in the see through storage compartment on the driver's side. I would have thought that Keystone would be consistant and have done this in all 2005 models. Am I assuming to much
keepontruckin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2006, 01:09 AM   #43
CountryGuy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #191
keepontruckin

RUnning changes, Keystone is very good at them, and that means, that not every 2005 has the kill key for the battery. More recent builds will have them.
CountryGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2006, 02:11 AM   #44
Wrenchtraveller
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4890
My 06 2955RL does not have a kill switch or if it does I have not found it yet.
Wrenchtraveller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2006, 02:23 AM   #45
Bob Pasternak
Montana Master

M.O.C. #800
Send a message via ICQ to Bob Pasternak
We had a marine kill switch installed on our new 3000RK by the dealer. And since electricity flows from negative to positive, the ground wire is the best to isolate.
Bob Pasternak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2006, 04:09 AM   #46
OntMont
Montana Master

M.O.C. #122
I struggled with this question for a while before eventually installing my switch on the positive side. I think the real problem is that away back in history, before electricity was fully understood, the "convention" that electricity flows from positive to negative became established. It is now known that electron flow is actually negative to positive (electrons carry a negative charge, and it is electon movement that creates current). If it were not for the fact that the positive to negative convention is so well established, it would probably make more sense to have the positive terminal grounded and use the negative as the supply, (Some farm tractors and european cars are wired that way). If that were done, then it would make perfect sense to put the kill switch on the negative lead, but as it is, I think the positive lead is the way to go, for reasons mentioned in earlier posts.
(P.S. I am not advocating that anyone actually make that change, it is just that if we could go back 100 years or so and start from scratch, that would be the more logical way to do it.)
OntMont is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2006, 04:28 AM   #47
Bob Pasternak
Montana Master

M.O.C. #800
Send a message via ICQ to Bob Pasternak
If memory serves, it was sometime in the 50's that Chrysler products finally went to negative ground on their batteries. There were a couple others also, but I don't remember which ones. White and Mack trucks had positive ground systems for a long time also. Their logic was that, given the negative to positive current flow, it was a shorter distance to the starter than through the frame to the starter and the rest of the electrical components.
Bob Pasternak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2006, 05:54 AM   #48
padredw
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2224
Send a message via Skype™ to padredw
OntMont, I believe my old Farmall Cub tractor (about a 1950 model) was wired as you have indicated. I still have the tractor, but recently changed the electrical system from the original 6 volt to a 12 volt system. I am not sure how that is wired vis a vis positive/negative. (I had it done by a "professional").

Just an interesting observation.
padredw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2006, 12:21 PM   #49
89dually

M.O.C. #4960
Here is my question about this battery disconnect thing. I have put in a battery disconnect for most of the reasons already discussed. With the battery disconnected, will I be damaging anything with the shore power plugged in? Such as the converter, all the stuff that runs on 12v. I know that at RV shows etc, all the units are plugged into 110v and most all have no batteries in them at all (new units).
89dually is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2006, 12:43 PM   #50
padredw
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2224
My understanding is, and my practice follows, that the DC power should be turned on BEFORE pugging into AC connection.

And DC power turned off AFTER unplugging AC (when it is appropriate to use the disconnect switch at all). In other words, we do NOT use the disconnect switch at all when on the road and the RV is in use.
Old 03-22-2006, 01:12 PM   #51
OntMont
Montana Master

M.O.C. #122
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by rickfox

Al,

My question is, if I install and use a disconnect switch, will it keep the storms away - just kidding.
No, it won't keep storms away, but if you mess up you connections, you could come close to creating one - also just kidding.
OntMont is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2006, 01:25 PM   #52
CountryGuy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #191
We do as Dave posts:

"My understanding is, and my practice follows, that the DC power should be turned on BEFORE pugging into AC connection.

And DC power turned off AFTER unplugging AC (when it is appropriate to use the disconnect switch at all). In other words, we do NOT use the disconnect switch at all when on the road and the RV is in use."

As far as keeping storms away, only Mother Nature and the Higher Power have control over that one! Sorry, even a disconnect switch ain't gonna have any affect on that front (get it front, storm front! oooooeee, sick eh??)
CountryGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2006, 04:34 AM   #53
Montana_2491

M.O.C. #2491
In Reply:

I used a knife switch between the Negative battery post and the chassis ground, for over winter storage.. Use the same guage wire as the Hot or ground lead...
Montana_2491 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2006, 07:42 AM   #54
Montana_883
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #883
I installed a "Marine Type" selector switch..it has "all". "number 1", "number 2" and off.
I can select either of my batteries, both, or off..none.
I found a good use for all of the positions. Just selecting one battery keeps the other in standby, I select both when chargeing, and off when not in use.
Montana_883 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2006, 04:33 AM   #55
weisenberger
Established Member

M.O.C. #5752
I just installed a Blue Sea cut off switch in our 3400RL using #6 wire. Choose Positive side since that is where the wing nut connection is to disconnect the battery without the cut off switch. Sealed back of switch to avoided any sparks.
weisenberger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2006, 06:38 AM   #56
flyerone
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #5263
Does anybody have any pictures of your installation, this is on my list of things to do.
flyerone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2006, 07:42 AM   #57
dsprik
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4282
Darryl, do you have the "shore station" in your 2006 3400? With the key switch?
dsprik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2006, 07:58 AM   #58
steves
Montana Master

M.O.C. #185
I have a simple knife switch on my negative battery post with a wing nut connection to the original battery cable. The switch sticks out a little from the battery box. I will (some day) just make a slot in the battery box so the top can be closed all the way. When long term use of my unit, I will throw the switch to disconnect the battery and avoid contestant charging of the battery. Every couple of week I reconnect the disconnect switch to make sure the battery remains charged.
steves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2006, 10:19 AM   #59
padredw
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2224
The link below will show my installation of two 6 volt "golf cart" batteries in a Bluesea battery box. The cut-off switch is in the upper left corner of the photo. It is only ON/OFF because my two batteries are wired in series to produce 12 volts. The red switch handle comes out (removed) when the system is off. It is immediately obvious by the presence of the red switch handle when the battery system is ON.

http://dw4u.net/bb1.jpg
Old 05-24-2006, 10:50 AM   #60
weisenberger
Established Member

M.O.C. #5752
Dave, I do not have the shore station, my 3400 is an early 2006 old style cap and decals. I have seen the shore station or docking station on other brands its a nice feature. But I still like the seperate stations, it gives me a chance to inspect the outside and under the unit for damage, leaks. Simple to install the switch, I could not find a 6 Ga. battery wire with the ring eyelets so I bought a cable with a post mount on one end and a ring eyelet on the other end. Disconnected the original wire from battery (Wing Nut Mount) and connected to one side of switch, then new battery cable with eyelet end connected to other side of switch (Switch in Off Postion) placed electrical tape over connections to help prevent connections from coming in contact with frame and causing a spark or worse. Then connected the other end to the battery post and tighten. I have since found a 6 Ga cable with eyelets but perfer the post mount, I think it has better contact and less chance of loosing.
weisenberger is offline   Reply With Quote