Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 05-10-2012, 04:32 AM   #1
randye
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7139
Water is heavy taste

Hi Here at the Coast of Oregon and the water is soft but it is treated with chlorine and it has to much as far as we are concerned. We are buying water. We have committed to two years and are wondering if it wouldn't be better to filter out the taste. So now thats were I need help. I have the h20 to go camping world water softner, but the DW says she can taste the salt in the water. I can't is there another system that would do the job without adding the salt in the system? Thanks for the opions.

randye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2012, 05:26 AM   #2
nosticks
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10378
If the water is soft to begin with, then a simple whole house charcoal filter will remove the chlorine taste. Depending on how much chlorine is in the water system, you may need to change filters more often than 90-120 days.
nosticks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2012, 06:30 PM   #3
DQDick
Site Team

M.O.C. #11455
Go to the Rvwaterfilterstore.com Explain the problem and ask for a solution, they'll fix you right up. We use a water softener (hard water where we camp) and then a water filter set to take out the tastes and smells.
DQDick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2012, 10:31 AM   #4
trlrboy
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #7697
DW is very picky about water but this system produces totally fresh and clean water all day long without any loss in pressure. Another vote for www.rvwaterfilterstore.com who were very helpful putting it together.

Here's a link to the installation I did:
http://home-and-garden.webshots.com/...80095610ovgkmY
trlrboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2012, 02:03 PM   #5
seahunter
Montana Master

M.O.C. #11675
The good old pitcher-type system works pretty well for bad taste - like a Brita...

seahunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2012, 04:05 AM   #6
randye
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7139
I emailed the waterfilter store yesterday and still no answer. So quess I will wait another day and see what happens, for now its bottle water until I hear back.
Old 05-13-2012, 02:32 PM   #7
TAKPAK
Montana Master

M.O.C. #8238
Hi Randye, from those of us up north in the Portland/Tillamook area. Most of the coast towns/areas get their water from watersheds up in the hills/mountains. This year, with all the rain we've had, it has "stirred" things up a bit, so a lot of communities had to hit it hard with chlorine (or other chemicals) to protect the water supply. Probably that is what's happening to you right now. Or, the "water king" overdid it one day, which has happened. Anyway, usually the coast water is pretty soft, so no additional softening should be needed. Just a good "carbon/charcoal" filled filter, made specifically for taste/odor, should suffice. As mentioned, you will probably have to change it out more often until things "settle down" later on. If you really want to know, go look up the local Public Works people and ask about the water treatment going on. Odds are, they will probably tell you because of all the rain they've had to increase chlorination more than usual.

You are in a great area. Mild weather, great beaches. Ridden the jet boats up the Rogue River yet????
2015 GMC Sierra 4X4 3500 SRW
TAKPAK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2012, 02:58 AM   #8
randye
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7139
TAPAK Thanks and that has been the reason the owners gave us. I have not gotten a filtration system yet. I have been busy getting ready for the holiday at the end of May. I just got our Hot Tub moved to our site. I filled it yesterday and it takes two days to heat up to 104 deq. Should be able to soak on Sunday Evening. I also bought a 03 750 Kawasaki and have been running up and down 101 reliving my youth. Thanks again.