Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Tow Vehicles & Towing
Click Here to Login

Old 10-29-2009, 10:47 AM   #1
timdenchanter
Established Member

M.O.C. #9772
Am I overloaded?

I finally got the hint and had the rig weighed this week. The weights on the truck axles WITHOUT the trailer were 4220 lbs on the front and 3100 lbs on the rear axle for a total of 7320 lbs.

The weights on the truck axles WITH the trailer attached were 4260 lbs on the front and 5560 on the rear axle for a total of 9820 lbs. The weight of the two trailer axles combined was 9800 lbs for a total combined vehicle weight of 19620.

According to Ford, my Gross Combined Vehicle Weight Rating is 23000 lbs.

The difference between the weight of the truck only versus the weight of the truck with the trailer attached is 2500 pounds. I presume this is the weight of the trailer king pin on the hitch. By adding this 2500 lbs to the trailer axle weights of 9800 lbs, I get a total trailer weight of 12300 lbs.

The placard on the door post of the Ford says the Gross Vehicle Weight Rating (GVWR) is 9800 lbs. It looks like the rig is 20 pounds overweight. Am I correct in this assumption?

Tim in Katy

timdenchanter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2009, 12:28 PM   #2
farmboy
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #9087
Send a message via Yahoo to farmboy
Yip, by 20#. No big deal.
farmboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2009, 12:40 PM   #3
PartyCrashers
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #4524
This is not my area....this kind of stuff is for my husband. I take care of the inside "stuff".

But as I read your post the thing that came to my mind as you are weighing...Are you including the weights of your trailer loaded with fluids and belongings. Are you including the weight of passengers in the truck?

If not then in my opinion....yea, you are over weight and more then 20lbs....But again this is not my area.

By the way Timdenchanter...I love the pictire you have posted in your signature. I would like to hear the story of you taking this picture if you don't mind sharing.
Denise
PartyCrashers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2009, 01:38 PM   #4
timdenchanter
Established Member

M.O.C. #9772
Denise,

The weights stated above include everything we normally haul down the highway such as full fuel tank, full propane tanks, full pantry and refrigerator plus the wife and me. We never haul water around so fresh, gray and black tanks were empty.

The picture is a Photoshop composition. The valley in the background is the view from Sulphur Mountain. The rugged terrain in the foreground is a road in Afghanistan with a dead end sign added for interest. The photo of our rig was taken at a CG not far from our home.

Thanks for the reply.

Tim in Katy
Old 10-29-2009, 01:41 PM   #5
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
The listed spec's on your 07 3475( If accurate) is 11,040 dry weight..4440 cc. gvwr 15,486 so at 12, 300lbs you are wayyyyy under. Combined axle weight was 9800lbs and assuming that all wheels were equal(they never are ) the weight would be 4900 lbs per 7K axle.. which is wayyyyyyy under. assumimng again that the camper was ready for on the road camping those are great numbers.. Note that the listed dry weight is 11,040 and it weighed in at 12,300lbs a difference of only 1260lbs. The listed dry weight is never right.Options??Slide toppers, 2nd A/C?? If you hit a bump you may float you are so light... However...now you know for sure.....

20lbs on the truck......skip a couple of lunchs and you are good...
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2009, 05:09 PM   #6
Art-n-Marge
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9257
Send a message via MSN to Art-n-Marge Send a message via Yahoo to Art-n-Marge
As Richfaa points out, your RV is waaaayyyy under so it is not a problem and has plenty of weight "to give".

For your TV 20# too heavy is not that bad, at all. Just in tolerances between scales alone, this can be under or even over by a little bit (I use some scales at a moving company where I live and they always seem to be off by 20 to 40# at any time).

If it bothers you, take some items (about 20-40#s worth) from the front storage compartments of your RV (or over the pin) and store them more towards the rear of the rig under the RV tires or farther back to lighten up the pin weight. Then go back to the same scales and weigh again.

Otherwise, I'd be happy with it. Just keep your tires inflated correctly and you're good to go.
Art-n-Marge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2009, 07:54 PM   #7
PartyCrashers
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #4524
LOL! at "richfaa" comment of the skipping lunch.....see I told you that this was not my area, but I do know you got real good advice from EXPERIENCED Rver's and experienced in towing outside of an RV.

Enjoy your travels, Denise
PartyCrashers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2009, 04:15 AM   #8
timdenchanter
Established Member

M.O.C. #9772
Thanks to all for your input. I have decided to start walking a couple of miles each morning to try to drop a few pounds myself. It can't hurt.