Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Maintenance
Click Here to Login

Old 09-08-2007, 11:59 AM   #1
Dee
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #6426
Another little problem

Hi again
Some of you may remember us, we bought our 3295 last Nov.
first trip was to Laughlin Nev, right after that my wife was diagnosed with Cancer we have been through the radiation and chemo thing and she is doing pretty good. We took our second trip in the
Montana a little 2500 Mi trip to Oregon, several more things came to light. Nothing earth shattering, more drawers and cabinets flying open. DVD refuses to play, Not sure who engineered the setup for satellite TV, two bearing caps on the right side will not stay on.
The good news I did not have any more slideout hoses blow. That was nice.
I was reading I think it was Ritch's post about his front leg motor so I thought I would look at mine. It too is flopping around do not know how it works at all! I attempted to tighten the screws up and they are tight?? I guess I will have to look into that further.
So far talking to a dealer is almost a joke! At least the several I have tried.
I am trying to be reasonable but it is tough! My last two units had a couple little glitches but nothing like this.
Sorry to be negative but I really do not believe Montana has any
quality control, looking where and how the hyd hoses run over and around sheared sharp edges has me terrified! This rig will I am sure be traded off before it is two!
Anyone looking for a nice 3295 not a year old yet?

Dee

Dee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2007, 02:44 PM   #2
Dee
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #6426
Had time now to shower and cool off a little,
Everything will work itself out, I am sure.
It is just very agrivating when the dealer I
bought the rig from is a couple hundred miles away
There is one about 90 miles away but I have not had any
luck there at all. Possibly if I had purchased the unit
there It would be a different story, however he was $6000
higher out the door!

I already have made two trips trying to get the slideouts
so they do not tear the carpet, that fix is sort of iffy?
They have added new catches to the cabinets that won't stay closed
I had to replace one hyd hose rather than drive the 400 mi round trip, I asked Montana to pick up the bill for the hose, and I never heard back from either them or the dealer.

I will continue to fix things as on the plus side it is lighter than my Alpha was, and it is also easier to set up and get level than the Alpha.
I will thanks to the good folks on this forum get the bugs out.
Thanks for allowing me to vent
Dee
Old 09-08-2007, 03:01 PM   #3
bncinwv
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6846
Dee,
Hate to hear of your difficulties, but one thing that I have started to do when in transit may help you. We likewise were having troubles with doors and drawers opening when travelling. We now tie all cabinet doors shut, and arrange other items to try to keep the drawers in also (having mixed success though - can't keep file drawers at desk to stay closed ). I am now going to get me some of the miniature bungies to address the cabinets. We are now using cut strips of Wal-mart type bags (the plastic ones that you never know what to do with but always accumulate) to tie the doors shut. Tacky but it works. Hope this helps a little.
Bingo

Bingo and Cathy - Our adventures begin in the hills of WV. We are blessed by our 2014 3850FL Big Sky (previous 2011 3750FL and 2007 3400RL) that we pull with a 2007 Chevy Silverado Classic DRW CC dually.
bncinwv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2007, 03:15 PM   #4
Crossthread
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6460
Welcome back Dee, I'm glad that your wife is doing much better. As for the jack motor flopping around, I think that that's the way they are made,rather than be bolted solid with no movement. The mounting bolts to the side frame should be tight, but I think the movement is through the bushings, or bearings.
You're right about the entertainment center, It's a poor excuse for what its purpose is. Mine almost went into the lake 2 times. I look for oil under the rv all the time, I know its coming, we bought at the same place, most likely the same week.Bill
Crossthread is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2007, 03:26 PM   #5
H. John Kohl
Montana Master

M.O.C. #311
Send a message via AIM to H. John Kohl Send a message via MSN to H. John Kohl Send a message via Yahoo to H. John Kohl
Dee,
Sorry to hear about the Monty problems. I hope you can get things resolved. Ours has worked well so far. New in Nov 06.

We will add you and your wife to our prayer list. Ann stated her Lung Cancer treatment a year ago this week. On 31 Jan after 31 days of Radiation as well as six weekly Chemo treatments and then four, once ever 21 days full Chemo treatments she was placed in Remission status. They could not operate on her. She is getting stronger all the time.
H. John Kohl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2007, 04:17 PM   #6
Dustytuu
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2975
Dee glad your wife is doing better. John your wife too.
Will add them to my prayers.

I know it is disappointing when things go wrong. But it will get better when all the kinks are worked out. We have a 3295 and have not had any major problems.

To keep the drawers closed on desk and kitchen drawers, I put a yard stick through the handles all way down to floor. Seems to work great. We have not had much problem with cabinets coming open inless it is a very bumpy road. We sometimes fasten the cabinet doors through the handles with velcro.
Dustytuu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2007, 05:26 PM   #7
Dee
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #6426
Thanks folks for the thoughts on my wife, That truly is the only important fix, the rest are just minor bumps in life's road.

Yes I have tied the doors shut and the drawer at the desk I ended up putting child proof catches as they do not have to open far and catch the room slide and of course you can not get in there to see before you push the open button.
On my front jack motor I understand about it being able to move a little but mine will move almost 1/4 inch horizontaly and it hangs down far enough that it rubs the square shaft that goes to the other jack, Yet the fastening bolts seem tight so I am thinking this too came from the factory that way? Pretty impressive!
I will do some checking on that and would appreciate any feedback
any of you folks have.

Again Thanks
Dee