Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 06-20-2007, 06:24 AM   #1
Gene Chaltry
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #735
leaf springs on the 3400

No matter where I go in the country, I have a problem on the left side of my 3400 being to low. I always have to put boards under the left side. Does anyone else have this problem? Is it the weight of the three slides? Thanks in advance for all replies.

Gene Chaltry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2007, 06:33 AM   #2
stiles watson
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2059
It could be a weight distribution problem. I suppose you would have to weigh the axles on each side to determine that. When you are hooked to your TV, does it look lopsided going down the road. That would indicate spring maladjustment if you don't have a distribution problem.

I very seldom find a site where I don't have to elevate one side or the other to level it. I just accept this as SOP.
stiles watson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2007, 06:58 AM   #3
Mudchief
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4961
When on a level pad our unit sits level. The only time I put blocks under the wheels is when the site is not level. Right sometimes and the left sometimes. You can measure the distance between your axle and the frame on each side to see if there is a difference. I had a unit one time that was like that and I took it to a spring shop and they added a leaf to the springs on the weak side.
1200 watts of Solar
Mudchief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2007, 10:40 AM   #4
Cat320
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5751
We have a similar situation although not as bad as yours. If we need boards, it is always the left side...never have put them on the right side.
Cat320 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2007, 11:30 AM   #5
Gene Chaltry
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #735
Stiles, It is level going down the road. So I guess it's just SOP and I'll have to live with it. Thanks to all who replyed.
Gene Chaltry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2007, 01:19 PM   #6
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
Interestingly, we have boards under the right side right now, but that's because the site itself is offlevel to that side.

I never noticed whether the left side needs lifting more often than the other side but I have noticed I have a bit more bedrail clearance on the single slide side than I do on the three slide side. I never noticed the coach leaning but now will have to take some measurements when hitched up and sitting on level pavement.
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2007, 05:21 PM   #7
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
After a long time we broke a spring on our previous camper. Helen noted that all the heavy stuff was on the broken spring side and wondered why that spring was not a heaver duty spring that the other one. She later asked that question at one of our early Montana plant tours noting that therewere 3 slides on one side and one on the other of the 3400..They looked at her as if she had two heads so that was obviously a dumb question to ask..or was it??????
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote