Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 04-04-2017, 03:55 PM   #1
mikedesj
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #3083
Time to complete Warranty work

Why is it OK for any dealership to take greater than 30 days (and still not done) to complete two minor repairs on my 2016 3711. I'm sure glad they said it wouldn't take long because this was their slow time..... (Grey tanks always indicate empty and furnace runs 8 to 10 degrees over before shutting off)

mikedesj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2017, 04:00 PM   #2
K0LCB
Montana Master

M.O.C. #13395
It would not be ok with me
K0LCB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2017, 05:28 PM   #3
bigskyjimmy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10696
Like KOLCB said no it is not O.K. but welcome to getting work done at Rv Dealerships THEY ARE BUSY ,I know a Guy that works in the Service Dept of a major dealer here in the NW and you would not believe how many work orders they get a year and THAT is why I do most of my own work unless it is Major stuff,I use this Forum for advice on fixing things and there are tons of how to Videos on You Tube that really help
Old 04-04-2017, 05:34 PM   #4
DQDick
Site Team

M.O.C. #11455
This is one of the reasons we won't buy a new rig. When enough folks come to that way of thinking the RV industry will straighten up or die.
DQDick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2017, 06:24 PM   #5
1retired06
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12156
That is why I do everything repair possible myself
F350 crew cab dually 6.7
1retired06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2017, 07:07 AM   #6
phillyg
Montana Master

M.O.C. #17801
It's not okay but very common. Dropped off the FW at LD Tampa and was told 2-3 weeks even though they'd received the part already. It's the same with boat and boat trailer repair.
Sucks.
phillyg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2017, 08:23 AM   #7
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
The economy is good, RV sales are high dealers are overwhelmed with service and repairs. We use a very good mobile RV service with a lot of trucks here in Florida and they can do all but the most serious repairs on site.
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2017, 08:27 AM   #8
Dusters
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #19305
My 2016 went in to the RV dealer on March 2nd for warranty inspection and was released March 23rd. Two additional things were required with the annual inspection, troubleshoot the Norcold refrig and pack bearings. They fixed the refrig first week and took two weeks to complete the wheels.
Dusters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2017, 01:29 PM   #9
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
Called our local Rv dealer to day to get a advanced appointment we will be back April 24th. He said lucky we called now as they are backed up 3 weeks.
Old 04-05-2017, 03:53 PM   #10
mikedesj
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #3083
So the reality is I probably should not blame the dealership. I think it is more a function of how Keystone process warranty work. The dealer had mu unit in their bay and confirmed the problems I identified and had it in to Keystone within 72 hours of me dropping it off. It took Keystone a week to approve and then two weeks to get the parts. The good news they called today and it is done and I can pick it up Friday. (They require an appointment to pick it up so that they can demonstrate that the repairs have been performed. This is my third Keystone fifth wheel, 1 Sprinter and then 2 Montana's. This was my first warranty work ever. Interesting experience. I am confident when I am forking over the cash it will go a lot quicker. But like many of you, I do all of my own work.
mikedesj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2017, 04:03 PM   #11
bigskyjimmy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10696
It is not just Keystone themselves IMO I have had no problem with Keystone getting the parts to my dealer in a reasonable time and I just installed them myself but it is pretty much the same story with all RV Mfg's and Dealers My buddy with a Grand Designs has a few bad stories about his being worked on at his dealer as well GD sent the parts no problem it is his Dealer that is so Busy (and does shoddy work) so you are not alone playing the waiting game
Old 04-17-2017, 08:10 PM   #12
jameswbarton
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #18658
I made my hopefully last warranty appointment in December for February 1st. I had a lsit of 10 warranty issues that Keystone Owner relations said they would repair and also would expedite everything including parts. I visited it last Friday and they are still awaiting Keystone to ship them the 6 broken cabinet doors resulting form poor installation. The same model cabinets are still being use I current manufacture. So all I can determine is some Keystone parts like window and doors take at least 10 weeks with Expedited promises by Keystone. My dealer would certainly like to get it off his lot as He now needs the extra space with spring here.
jameswbarton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2017, 08:43 AM   #13
dfb
Montana Master

M.O.C. #17163
2 months the first time to fix...black water valve woul not close, water heater not working on electric, THETFORD TOILET NOT HOLDING WATER! Over and over again! Rope lights not working... then to the body shop for 3 months til they could get to it to paint chips from delivery... then back 2 weeks to replace that stinking toilet with a Donetic..At the body shop they put pin holes in my awning from a ladder, squished the tube, and ripped off two roof vent covers! Then I had to bring it back again for black valve because it was not fixed the first time...
dfb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2017, 09:05 AM   #14
dfb
Montana Master

M.O.C. #17163
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigskyjimmy View Post
It is not just Keystone themselves IMO I have had no problem with Keystone getting the parts to my dealer in a reasonable time and I just installed them myself but it is pretty much the same story with all RV Mfg's and Dealers My buddy with a Grand Designs has a few bad stories about his being worked on at his dealer as well GD sent the parts no problem it is his Dealer that is so Busy (and does shoddy work) so you are not alone playing the waiting game
Then the dealers need to hire more workers....
Old 05-19-2017, 12:38 PM   #15
Twopetes
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #17535
@ dfb

My opinion is there are not enough "trained" techs for the dealers to hire. My other opinion (complaint) is the mfgs. need to do a little better job with correcting errors. Our HC 353 has been at dealer for a month getting the wall repaired (rewelded) because IMHO the design was not strong enough. Keystone is covering it but this should have not have happened (and Keystone knows it!)

As other have stated, I will do as much of the maintenance as I can. Quicker and hopefully done right.
Retired and Lovin’ it!
Twopetes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2017, 08:19 PM   #16
dfb
Montana Master

M.O.C. #17163
Yes, these things should never happen..but like you, I'll do as much myself as possible...we're on a trip right now... love our Montana, just wish they took time, did some quality control, and use better materials in areas...
Old 05-19-2017, 09:06 PM   #17
Bill.vannuys
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #17706
We don't drop our Truck off at the car dealer and leave it for several weeks while they get around to working on it. Unfortunately, that is not how most RV dealers I've experienced operate.

My initial dealer for SOB was as you describe; they scheduled me out 3 weeks for some simple warranty work (a few hours work) and told me when I arrived for my appointment "this is just a drop off appointment; we don't actually start work for a few more weeks." After 2 weeks of no work on my NEW unit, purchased from them, I showed up to take my unit somewhere else - never been back!

Having managed Motorpools in the Army, the math is simple: "if you schedule and do today's work today, then tomorrow is free for tomorrows work!" Same for work scheduled in 3 weeks.

After my initial bad experience, I found a dealer (3 hours away who didn't sell me my Montana - they switched to selling another brand during the recession) who provides great customer service. They schedule me out for their next available appointment (usually about a month in Spring & Summer). When I come for my appointment, they go right to work on my repairs that day. Usually one tech or sometimes two depending on the job.
They have handled all warranty and other work on 2 different units.

Once, after "same day" trouble shooting, the RV dealer had to wait for parts for several weeks (Cooling unit for refrigerator under warranty). When they finished troubleshooting, they returned my trailer same day and scheduled me when they estimated the part would arrive. Great "customer centric" service!

Its management and a desire to provide customer service. Using this forum for help, I do many repairs and upgrades myself...slowly.

2014 3735MK Legacy, Sailun 637s, TST 507RV TPMS, 2 Battle Born 100 AMP Lithium Batteries, Slide Toppers
2015 Chevy 3500 LTZ, 6.6L Duramax 4WD, CC, LB, SRW with Allison Transmission
Bill.vannuys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2017, 10:18 AM   #18
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
We have two Rv dealers nearby one is a keystone dealer the other does not handle Keystone . We did not purchase our Montana from the Keystone dealer as they do not handle the Montana .Warranty work must be done through the Keystone dealer both of them will do extended warranty work. Both dealers have done work for us no problems. Three weeks has been the longest wait. Parts can be a big problem. Keystone does not have a parts department and parts are ordered through the vendor. We note at the fall rally vendor trucks delivering material for that days build, all manufacturers. Inventory setting on the shelf are $$ not working they only have two or three days build inventory on hand. My last parts order a black tank and a rear ladder took 2/12 week to arrive at the dealer and one day to install.
When on the road we have learned to call the service center and have them arrange for a visit to the nearest dealer.
Old 05-21-2017, 06:41 AM   #19
bad99ram
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #18650
Part of the problem is that when Keystone approves the repair they order the needed parts from the manufacture of that particular part. Then it gets shipped to Keystone who in turn ships the part to the dealer. Very cumbersome and slow.
bad99ram is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2018, 07:09 PM   #20
footz1941
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #21057
Repair lead time

I had a new SOB with a roof leak. It had been leaking for some time as the roof was buckled and cabinets in bed room were damaged The dealer sealed the leak, took pictures and contacted Coachman for warranty approval and supposedly ordered parts. This was in mid April Waited till end of May and they still had not received parts. As we had to leave the area until August told them would return the unit at that time. Appointment made for Aug 22 Dropped the unit on Aug 19 Did not hear from them for 2 weeks so went to the dealer to find out when it would be ready. They had not started on repairs as they were still waiting for parts. I walked outside to cool off some before confronting the service mgr and the general mgr. Ended up getting a new unit at no cost. New unit was also a piece of crap cabinets fell off wall, broke the center out of a wheel while turning in a gas station finally traded it for a Montana HC
footz1941 is offline   Reply With Quote