Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 04-21-2014, 07:36 AM   #21
Flymutt
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #12223
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Ramblin Roadrunners

I've been looking real hard at a Champion 3100 for about $800. I has good reviews. The Westinghouse at Home Depot on the internet is very interesting.
Jay D
$800 is a good price for an inverter generator and if I'm not mistaken, that one is pretty quiet (for a 3000 watt genny). I have a 2000 watt inverter Champion and it's just as quiet as the Hondas or Yamahas although not as well built IMHO. The problem I have with the Champion is at high altitudes it loses power and sometimes just quits running. The Honda gennys have a fix for this problem but the Champions do not. So, if you're going to use it in the mountains you may want to reconsider.

Flymutt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2014, 07:44 AM   #22
Ramblin Roadrunners
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #7616
Send a message via MSN to Ramblin Roadrunners
This is not one of the big heavy construction gen's. http://www.campingworld.com/shopping...enerator/70829. Sound is at 58db at 1/4 throttle, 88lbs and 8 hours on 1.59 gal at 1/4 throttle and advanced sine wave technology.
Jay D
Ramblin Roadrunners is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2014, 10:09 AM   #23
JandC
Montana Master

M.O.C. #13272
I have a red 3500 generator I purchased at Menards about 3 years ago. I can't remember the brand name of it. I can still pick it up and put it in the back of the truck but it is heavy...and it is loud. It has a 30amp Rv outlet plus (2) regular outlets on it. Best generator I have ever owned, always starts on first pull and sips the gas. But too loud and heavy IMHO for RV use. If I ever decided to purchase a couple more suitable RV style generators I was just going to sell this one to help pay for the new ones.
Old 04-21-2014, 11:52 AM   #24
navybanker
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #10884
I now have three Champions! The first one purchased was a 3500/4000 that is used to check out the camper before trips and in case the S & B's loses power. No, I do not take it camping! The 3500 impressed me so purchased two 2000Is to take camping that can be hooked together. The two smaller ones paralled would not run the 15,000 AC and called Champion service and they paid for shipment back to a California location to be "updated". They were out of warranty but shipping and update was free. Now, they will run the AC. I don't know about higher altitudes. Now that I have bragged on them, all three will probably quit! It's just a matter of how much you want to spend and how much you dry camp. I have hauled the two 2000's for three years and have never needed to use them on the road. They are backup in case something happens before we arrive at the FHU CGs.

2017 Montana 3611
2012 Chevy 2500
navybanker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2014, 03:27 PM   #25
randye
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7139
I have the Boily 3300 sine-wave generator. It does a great job, runs one A/C. We have seldom needed both A/C's a the same location. Not having used it more than a day a time. It's like new, pull rope start and electric also, but never run it enough to charge up the Battery. As you can tell I am happy with it.
randye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2014, 05:50 PM   #26
Rainer
Montana Master

M.O.C. #13378
Send a message via MSN to Rainer
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by boat391

I would only buy new you don't need someone else's problem. I also use a inverter system and 4 6volt golf cart batteries so I don't need to run the generator at nite and can watch tv till I head off to bed. Solar is in the future plans also. The inverter is big enough to run the microwave if the DW wants to use it but for the most part it just runs the satalite and tv never use it to run hot water heater use propane for that. Hope this helps.
I'm right here with you. I've got the batteries AND the solar, but also a Onan Marquis Gold 6500-watt LP vapor generator - no ***** footing around for me.

We only run the generator when we we're either stopping for lunch on the road and need the AC and/or microwave, or if we're boondocking and need AC. Otherwise the 4 - 6-volt batteries and the solar system do the trick.

And yes, I watch satellite TV late nights - all on battery power. We've got LED lights in every light fixture so their draw is minimal.

Your budget and/or power requirements will determine your generator choice.
Rainer is offline   Reply With Quote