Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 02-06-2015, 12:02 PM   #1
Fulltimers almost
Established Member

M.O.C. #16042
Stupid Question number 1

We are using our new 5th wheel as a 2nd home on the Oregon coast going to it on weekends and extended stays as we can. So it is up, on the levelers and the slides are out most of the time. What suggestions would you make to keep the trailer up for when we go full time in about 2 years. I would be interested in any what you need to do comments....

Fulltimers almost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2015, 12:21 PM   #2
stillcampin
Established Member

M.O.C. #16050
Particularly important when in damp areas, like the coast, to provide for humidity control; especially when vacant and closed up. I'd recommend a smallish dehumidifier that has an external drain facility. You can then plumb it to drain beneath the trailer. Be sure to do something to prevent bugs from clogging the drain because using it may disable the auto shutoff when full feature.

I'm full time in my rig but still have a 35 pint dehumidifier running all the time. One of these days I'll install the drain plumbing. I've got all the pieces, just need the round tuit. I've considered connecting to the sink drain but don't want the possible results when I overfill the gray tank. Standing water in the sink is one thing, having it back up into the dehumidifier and overflow onto the floor is something else.
stillcampin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2015, 02:10 PM   #3
bigskyjimmy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10696
As a Fulltimer in western wa for 4 years I can tell ya for sure Mold has always been a problem BIG TIME in the main Closet, we have had many a leather shoes clothes etc... get molded out so we use ALOT of Dri- EZ in the closet and that controls it,but Not hardly any mold anywhere else
Old 02-06-2015, 02:35 PM   #4
scott-pati
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12894
There are a lot of things to do. I'll just name a couple and let others chime in with there thoughts.

Make sure your tires have 80psi when cold and not having the sun shining on them. I like to spin the tires a 1/4 turn to help avoid flat spots once a month, and try to keep the direct sun off of them.

Every month exercise the slides in/out a couple of times.

Try and wash the roof every 3-4 months and the RV.

The same goes for the landing gear, raise it up and down and level off. Keep the shafts clean and clean before using.

This is just a small sample of what I do when my unit sits on my property for a couple of months when not using her.
scott-pati is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2015, 03:27 PM   #5
bncinwv
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6846
The first thing to realize regarding this forum is there are no stupid questions!! We all were rookies at one time and this forum has provided valuable information for all of us "noobies". I still learn new things from the new as well as the experienced members of the greatest RVing forum on the web!!
Bingo

Bingo and Cathy - Our adventures begin in the hills of WV. We are blessed by our 2014 3850FL Big Sky (previous 2011 3750FL and 2007 3400RL) that we pull with a 2007 Chevy Silverado Classic DRW CC dually.
bncinwv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2015, 03:29 AM   #6
DQDick
Site Team

M.O.C. #11455
A big second to what Bingo said. There are no stupid questions, just dumb things people do because they were afraid to ask.
DQDick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2015, 04:36 AM   #7
K0LCB
Montana Master

M.O.C. #13395
Don't worry, be happy
K0LCB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2015, 05:27 AM   #8
7.3Ford
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9808
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Fulltimers almost

We are using our new 5th wheel as a 2nd home on the Oregon coast going to it on weekends and extended stays as we can. So it is up, on the levelers and the slides are out most of the time. What suggestions would you make to keep the trailer up for when we go full time in about 2 years. I would be interested in any what you need to do comments....
Paul,

I would put the slides in when not using the unit (per Owner Manual). If you have power when not there, I would get dehumidifier. If you don't have power, get a RV Damp Dry, sold at WalMart. Tire covers are also good idea if you are going to stay put for awhile.

Since you are planning to full time, I would also recommend several weekend trips between now and then as a shake down. One it will make sure everything is working, and two give you more experience setting up and taking down, and handling you Montana.

Something else to think about is winterizing. It does get down below freezing sometimes, even on the coast. I do a 90% winterizing after every trip. Once you have the process down, it only adds 5-6 minutes to the unpack. I found leaving water in the lines in the Summer causes the water to taste bad. I drain the fresh water tank, and the water heater, then with some compress air (40 psi), I blow out the water from all the lines. When I know it will be down to freezing before the next trip, I add RV Antifreeze to all the traps (include Wash/Dryer), which takes an extra 2 minutes. Blowing out the lines, means you don't have to put the RV Antifreeze in the lines, and takes about 1/2 Gallon to do all the traps.

7.3Ford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2015, 12:38 PM   #9
Fulltimers almost
Established Member

M.O.C. #16042
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by scott-pati

There are a lot of things to do. I'll just name a couple and let others chime in with there thoughts.

Make sure your tires have 80psi when cold and not having the sun shining on them. I like to spin the tires a 1/4 turn to help avoid flat spots once a month, and try to keep the direct sun off of them.

The same goes for the landing gear, raise it up and down and level off. Keep the shafts clean and clean before using.

This is just a small sample of what I do when my unit sits on my property for a couple of months when not using her.
Old 02-07-2015, 01:38 PM   #10
Fulltimers almost
Established Member

M.O.C. #16042
Quote:

Old 02-08-2015, 04:06 AM   #11
Fulltimers almost
Established Member

M.O.C. #16042
We do have 3 dehumidifier going at all times. One powered and two that use the packets. I am going to add another powered type in the closet.
We currently spend every other weekend in the trailer so we dump the water.
Thanks for reply.

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by stillcampin

Particularly important when in damp areas, like the coast, to provide for humidity control; especially when vacant and closed up. I'd recommend a smallish dehumidifier that has an external drain facility. You can then plumb it to drain beneath the trailer. Be sure to do something to prevent bugs from clogging the drain because using it may disable the auto shutoff when full feature.

I'm full time in my rig but still have a 35 pint dehumidifier running all the time. One of these days I'll install the drain plumbing. I've got all the pieces, just need the round tuit. I've considered connecting to the sink drain but don't want the possible results when I overfill the gray tank. Standing water in the sink is one thing, having it back up into the dehumidifier and overflow onto the floor is something else.
Old 02-08-2015, 04:11 AM   #12
Fulltimers almost
Established Member

M.O.C. #16042
How do you rotate tires if parked? What do you use to add air to tires?
Currently I do not have a generator or portable inflation device. Recommendation?

Quote:

Old 02-08-2015, 01:23 PM   #13
commish
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #14397
We carry an air compressor with us all the time, also a bottle jack in case of a flat. You could jack the rig up an inch and rotate the tires a quarter turn. Marking the tread with a crayon can help and the mark will go away when you move the rig.
Most of these things become normal after a bit.
Happy trails, Mike
commish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2015, 05:39 PM   #14
Fulltimers almost
Established Member

M.O.C. #16042
What type of compressor?