Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MONTANA OWNERS CLUB COMMUNITY > New Member Introductions
Click Here to Login

Old 08-18-2004, 08:32 AM   #1
Montana_1882
Established Member

M.O.C. #1882
I'm a little Bummed Out!

The time that I've been waiting for is now here. I've been planning on purchasing a Mountaineer 335RLBS TT for over a month now. We went to an RV show last weekend just to be looking at the different models(because Mountaineer/Montana was not at the show). Of course we had the vultures (I mean salesmen) swarming around. I did have a guy with a Fleetwood Regal with the same floor plan that I want try to sway me over to his brand. He didn't have one at the show but he did throw out some numbers. I was going to look at what he had at the dealership (which was 1 1/2 hours away) when I decided to stop to see the Mountaineer that we've been dreaming about. That is when the Bummed Out part comes in. After looking at all the nice 5ers at the show earlier that day, the TT just felt so small. I'm already set up to tow a TT as far as WD hitch and my Chevy 2500HD D/A so I didn't want to get a 5er. I want to pay cash for my purchase and the 5ers are twice the price for the same floor plan.

I guess we need to do some serious thinking before jumping in. I think I will go look at the Mountaineer again after setting in my current TT(25ft. Shasta with no slide) for a couple of hours. Maybe it will make the Mountaineer seem much larger.

Thanks for listening to my first post on this forum. Hope to meet some of you real soon.

Jeff and Sharon Baker
Bubba and Lacey are the Shih-tzu babies.

Montana_1882 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2004, 09:04 AM   #2
lightningjack11
Montana Master

M.O.C. #59
Great to see you posting. It is a big decision so take your time. Make sure you are getting what you want.

Why don't you bring your current trailer to the Sept Rally at Goshen. It always helps to tour the factory.

Besides if you come to the rally you be able to see a lot of Montanas and talk with owners.

lightningjack11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2004, 10:13 AM   #3
larryngail
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #888
Hello...and WELCOME.

Probably won't make you feel any better....but your post brought a smile to my face. It's kinda like current owners looking at new models

larryngail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2004, 01:48 PM   #4
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
Hi Jeff and Sharon. Welcome aboard. Sounds like you have the near-buyer jitters. Seems there's always something a little nicer/bigger/better, etc. I guess it comes down to what best meets your needs and desires. Please, though, look **very** closely at construction quality, the things you have to crawl under/open drawers/etc., to see. Look at mounting hardware, drawer slide hardware, frame, etc. If aluminum frame is it truly a full cage or is the floor and/or roof actually wood-framed like many of the less expensive rigs are? Those things might not be a deal killer if they still meet your needs but it will help you to understand the cost differences so you can make the best decision for you. Good luck in your choice. As Lightningjack said, come look around at the rally if you like. As far as I'm concerned, you're welcome to be there since you are a prospective owner. I can't speak for the MOC administration but don't think they'd have a concern with that.
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2004, 01:59 PM   #5
DiananColin
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #447
Send a message via Yahoo to DiananColin
We have the exact model you are contemplating - 335RLBS - please be assured that this is NOT a small space and we have nothing but good things to say about it. As the Nike ads said . . . . just do it! We do not regret going with a TT instead of a 5'er - there are pro's and con's to both routes and IMHO neither have the edge over the other (that may create some comments from others but we all have opinions and as the boss remarks I am somewhat opiniated!)

Good luck with your decision.
DiananColin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2004, 02:04 PM   #6
azstar
Montana Master

M.O.C. #740
Hi Jeff & Sharon,
I just wanted to let you know how much we are enjoying our 335RLBS. We have had ours about a year now. We have put about 11,000 mi. on it, using it for as long as 9 weeks at a time. We have had 5 TT's over the past 30 years, so we aren't new to the game. We are delighted with the floor plan, all the storage (inside and out). Love the Laundry Shute and the towability is great with the right equipment. We did alot of research before buying. We have made some changes ( I'm a Retired Eng. can't help it) to kind of personalize it. You might do a search to see some of the changes we and others have made. Search under Mountaineer Improvements. I think you'll find it there. I know it's tough to get a good feel for a unit until you use them for a while, but we would definitely buy this 335RLBS again. Best bang for the buck out there.
We wish you well and keep us updated.
azstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2004, 07:45 PM   #7
Northstar
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1757
Oh yes the joy of searching for a new coach! Good luck. Happyrving....
Northstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2004, 07:49 AM   #8
Montana_1280
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #1280
I have owned all types...from tent to MH. For my buck, the 5er is best. But as they say, that's just my opinion. Our 3295RK feels very spacious. Of course, we have not fulltimed yet, but it's just around the corner. Maybe in few months I will be singing a different tune. Good luck...go with the gut!
Montana_1280 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2004, 05:53 PM   #9
Ed Benson
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #1027
Greetings Jeff and Sharon,

We too have questioned staying with the TT vs the 5er - decided to stay with the TT and upgraded our 98 Wilderness to a 305FKS a year ago. We have never looked back. Love our Mountaineer - I too am an engineer looking to retire in the near future and have made a few changes to our coach - more oak, dc lights in the slide, tall Thetford "throne", ect. Plan on adding the satellite coax cons as illustrated in the improvements forum. We do a lot of dutch oven cooking on outings and need the room in the 2500HD Dmax bed / shell for the "black pots" and equipment. Take the leap - you won't regret it.
Ed Benson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2004, 09:33 AM   #10
fulltimedreamer
Montana Master

M.O.C. #919
Jeff and Sharon,

We have the 335RLBS and love it. We have stayed in it for 9 weeks at a time and enjoy the floor plan with no steps and the full use of our truck bed. In the future we are going to fulltime and may consider a 5th wheel to accomodate a washer and dryer and possibly a generator. Until then our Mountaineer is a great product and has met our expectations and we would buy it again. Great value for the dollar. Here is a link to my website where you can see some of the improvements we have made.

http://www.geocities.com/fulltimedre...vprojects.html
fulltimedreamer is offline   Reply With Quote