Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 04-15-2009, 12:00 PM   #1
bob n pam
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2121
Direct TV HD-DVR

We just had a Direct TV HD-DVR and new Slimline dish installed and learned that Direct TV now has software to allow one line in to the DVR which then allows 2 tuners to be used. You know, record one channel and watch another, or watch a recorded show and record two channels. The only issue we have is that the techs weren't able to show us how to input a zip code to find the elevation and azmith on the new DVR. They also told us not to put the dish on a tripod but on a "sled" which they set up. It is huge and Bob is going looking for a tripod tomorrow. Anyone out there using a tripod with the Slimline dish? If so, how do you like it?

Pam

bob n pam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2009, 12:10 PM   #2
HughM
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7219
Funny that you would post that today. Tomorrow I'm having Direct TV HD DVR installed at the stick house. How many LNB's does your slimline dish have? I have a round dish on a tripod that I use in the RV with one LNB. I wonder if the one LNB will get the HD channels?
Hugh
HughM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2009, 01:29 PM   #3
Exnavydiver
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7753
Send a message via AIM to Exnavydiver Send a message via MSN to Exnavydiver Send a message via Yahoo to Exnavydiver
Pam, this should be fairly easy, when you get to a new setup spot let the DVR warm up. Then hit "Menu" for the DVR. Then go to "Setup" or "System Setup" then go to "Repeat Satellite Setup" It may ask you if you want to interrupt the channel selection, if it does then it will tell you to hit the "Dash". You will be taken to the "Satellite Setup" page. It will show dish type, switch type, and tuners, leave these as is. on the bottom right of the screen there will be other options, chose Dish Pointing and hit select. You should now be at a smaller "Dish Pointing Angles" screen. one choice is "By Zip Code" I usually chose this because "Lat and Long" are only 2 digits and you could have 4 zip codes in that area. Now hit the down arrow and punch in the zip. When you are done chose OK and hit select. this will take you back to the "Satellite Dish Setup" Screen and all your angles will be in the window on the top right. Write these figures down and then go out and set then in on the dish mount. When you have the dish setup then hit "continue" and let it run the rest of the setup. If you have any problems PM me and I can walk you through it all... Dave
Exnavydiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2009, 04:52 AM   #4
Exnavydiver
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7753
Send a message via AIM to Exnavydiver Send a message via MSN to Exnavydiver Send a message via Yahoo to Exnavydiver
Pam, there are several sources for the tripod, I have found that the CST/Berger brand are about the best. You can get one from Home Depot for about 65 dollars. That tripod is more than enough for the Slimline dish. Mine is orange. When you get the tripod look around for a "small T-level" it is about the size of a silver dollar and has two level bubbles at right angles to each other. It really helps when trying to level the tripod, and that is the ONE MAIN important function you have to do to make it easy to get the dish set properly. If the tripod isn't level you will tear your hair out trying to hit the bird. I also recommend purchasing a "Claw" for anchoring the tripod. They are only about 20 bucks and will hold 1200 lbs. www.theclaw.com We have two, one for each dish but they work so well I plan on ordering two more for either awning or dog tie downs. Order either the C-101 or the C-102, exactly the same unit and same price I have no idea why they are listed with two different numbers. These are the least expensive way to go... Good luck... Dave
Old 04-16-2009, 01:38 PM   #5
bob n pam
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2121
Boy, Dave. Thank you, thank you!! You answered every question with such clarity I think we can do it!! We're going to Home Depot tomorrow and get the tripod. We won't be resetting the dish for about another week, but if we have trouble you can be sure I'll give you a holler!!

Pam
Old 04-16-2009, 01:52 PM   #6
bob n pam
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2121
Hugh, our Slimline only has one wire coming out, but when they first started assembling it, it had 3. The tech told us that our 18" round dish would not pick up HD channels. We are using only the one TV in the rig, so I think that's the reason for the one LNB.

Pam
Old 04-16-2009, 03:54 PM   #7
Exnavydiver
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7753
Pam, if you are hooking it to a DVR you will need 2 wires, the DVR is actually two receivers in one. So you will need two inputs. You will need a HDMI cord from the DVR to the tv and probably the optical sound lead also although you can use the RCA sound cables but I find that the optical is better sound... Dave
Old 04-25-2009, 04:48 PM   #8
jchw
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #6712
I've had Direct TV for a couple of years. I bought it as a part of their in home & RV installation that was advertised in Trailer Life. I simply pull the 2nd receiver out of the bedroom of the stick house and run the Direct dish cable in through the aft side of the drivers side slide out. Route this to the satellite tuner, then run a short (6') satellite cable back outside and plug in to the "cable feed" on the outside of the Monty.

Then I discovered after disasssembling the LBN from it's arm that there was a second satellite antenna connection. This allowed me to run the 2nd cable inside my Monty and bring my DVR from the house living room to be able to record programs while on the road.

Direct's RV satellite dish with the home DVR has worked great when wired as I described above.

Good luck - John
jchw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2009, 07:07 PM   #9
skypilot
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1846
Dave: Direct just came out with new equipment and it only runs one coax cable in from the dish to the DVR; the tech that installed it for my Boss last week had to go back to Topeka to pick up correct equipment and came back the following day to install it. I'm now dealing with them to see if I can get mine 'upgraded' before it is installed -- I had Dish right now but Direct has specials that Dish won't match so I'm jumping ship.

skypilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2009, 03:29 AM   #10
Exnavydiver
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7753
Thanks for the heads up on the single wire equip, I have been waiting for that since I first heard about it last year. I read that the new gear ans single wire can be run through a switch (like a splitter) and divided into several outputs. On my gear there 4 wires coming out of the feed arm and these go into a 6x8 switch. it will take 6 inputs and has 8 outputs but transfers voltages and signals evenly to all outputs. Keep us updated on how the upgrade goes, I may go for one when we get back to Wisconsin. Shoot pics of the dish too after installation... Dave
Old 04-26-2009, 05:21 AM   #11
Exnavydiver
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7753
I am on the Directv site at this moment and looking at the new dish. My 5 LNB dish works off 5 Sats, 101,110,119,99,and 103. The new dish draws off only three,101,110,119. I believe they are trying to consolidate all service to the newer Sats. The other difference with this dish is that the Multi-switch is built in to the LNB. As per the instruction/installation manual you can run up to 4 receivers off one dish without an additional multi-switch. so this won't change much for me as I already have two wires running into the rig for the DVR. On a new installation an additional cable access will need to be found into the rig if you use a DVR... Dave
Old 04-26-2009, 03:32 PM   #12
mail2us
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6920
So Dave, Judy and I are considering DirecTV HD/DVR service from our basic exisiting DTV service. If they install the new slimline dish will it then be only one wire? instead of two coming in to the DVR/TV?? I'm TV challenged?? Tks. Dennis
mail2us is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2009, 03:02 AM   #13
Exnavydiver
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7753
Dennis, if you have a DVR it will need two leads. The DVR is two receivers and a recorder in the same box. Two receivers equals two lead inputs. Ask them if the signal can be split inside the rig or if you need to run both wires from the dish... Dave
Old 04-27-2009, 05:34 AM   #14
skypilot
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1846
Well, it looks like I'm going to stay with Dish -- Direct won't use my existing cabling and I really don't want extra cables running through and around the house. Also, Dish did give me one of their 'entry' deals with no contract but pricing not guaranteed for any amount of time but we'll see.

Now, that said, I did check with the coworker who just had Direct installed and the new system installed. He only has one cable running to either of his two (2) DVRs; the DVR box itself appears to have the intelligence built in to handle the two tuners and all --- he just told me that he has watched one show while recording something entirely different (on the same DVR) several times, just this weekend. (Watching sports and recording the draft to 'fast' watch it later.)
skypilot is offline   Reply With Quote