Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > HAVE MOC WILL TRAVEL > On the Road Again
Click Here to Login

Old 05-26-2008, 03:17 AM   #21
jrgwdenner
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1105
Ozz, if you enjoy a lake and all those related activities, check out Granbury, TX, southwest of Fort Worth. It's a small town full of retired folks but close enough that you could go to the cities for a concert or show. We almost moved there.

Stiles, we lived in Wichita Falls for 8 years from 1979-1989, appx. Maybe we were neighbors!

jrgwdenner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2008, 03:21 AM   #22
OntMont
Montana Master

M.O.C. #122
I have been expecting PadreDW to weigh in on this thread with some information on why northeast Texas would be a good place to live. Hang in, I'm sure he will be along to sing the justified praises that area of the state.
OntMont is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2008, 11:18 AM   #23
BB_TX
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6433
As a native Texan, I can tell you that I-35 is pretty much a dividing line for humidity. East of I-35 is humid. As you go west of I-35, it gets progressively less humid. Our prevailing wind is from the south and that brings the gulf humidity with it. Look at a map and you get a good idea of the relationship.
But Texas is pretty much hot all over in the summer. West of I-35 will be high temps with lower humidity. So called dry heat? East of I-35 will be somewhat lower high temps but higher humidity makes the heat index much worse.
BB_TX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2008, 01:22 PM   #24
otto0813
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #5620
Agree completely with everything Wayne & Carolyn Matthews said in their post! Having lived in Texas all my life I know that is indeed one of the best areas of our great state. Also, BB TX is right about East and West of I-35 in his post! We currently live in Rockport and love it, but the humidity is a killer (good thing there are so many other things to offset that!). Ozz, good luck with your hunting. As a partial Texan, you really can't go wrong with any part of our state!
otto0813 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2008, 02:07 PM   #25
Ozz
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5980
We just spent an hour checking San Angelo's FISBO's, the property is really reasonable there.
I am pretty well resigned in thinking it will be best Mid-Texas, WEST of I-35 a ways, hate the humidity.
We worked 10 hours on the house today, masked off the wood trim, beams, furniture, floors and I sprayed new 'Popcorn' texture on the Ceilings, have some pictures I will post. Never did that before, turned out pretty good.
We had to fix some spots that peeled off when we painted.....bummer.
Ozz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2008, 02:05 AM   #26
refocused
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #6586
We live in San Antonio and we can hardly wait to move to Benson, AZ - go figure - no place is perfect, but at least Benson is DRY!!!
refocused is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2008, 05:31 AM   #27
8.1al
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1658
Ozz,
Chuck and Suzanne have the right idea, BENSON,AZ. It's a nice area, the winters are cool, low 30-high 20 at night in Jan. but it is usually sunny and the days are a nice 60. The summers can get around 100, friends who live there said it seldom gets over that and the humidity is low,low,low so 100 doesn't feel that bad. We spend our winters there and will be there late Jan. after Quartzsite so come on down and visit a while.
8.1al is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2008, 01:31 PM   #28
bigmurf
Montana Master

M.O.C. #538
OZZ: Sell it ALL. AZ. in the winter,anywhere North in the Summer.
bigmurf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2008, 02:13 PM   #29
Charlie
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3029
Ozz-
San Angelo fits the bill for low humidity but it can get very cold in the winter and just as hot in the summer. I was born in Odessa but lived most of my life on the Texas Gulf Coast south of Houston and hate the humidity down there. I had relatives that lived in San Angelo so know how extreme the conditions can be there, seems like the wind blows all the time. In the summer time it feels like it come off a furnace.

Someone mentioned Granbury. This is a very desirable location. I have a brother and parents that live there. Fort Worth is moving that direction. There is also lots of oil & gas drilling activity there and this has elevated real estate and taxes in Hood County are not the best in the state.

If you don't mind being somewhat away from the crowd I would recommend the area from Burnet, Llano, Mason, Brady, San Saba, to Lampasas. I have a cousin that lives on Lake Buchanan and I think it to be a very desirable location.
Charlie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2008, 02:22 PM   #30
ols1932
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1944
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by bigmurf

This is the only way to go! Why maintain a stick house when you can have your house with you and...if you don't like your neighbors, you can move!

Orv
ols1932 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2008, 03:05 PM   #31
Ozzie
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1358
Send a message via MSN to Ozzie
I'm surprized nobody is talking about coastal waters...that seems to be the trick in Florida. Locals there tell me next to the water is much more comfy, Texas isn't the same?
Ozzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2008, 03:12 PM   #32
OntMont
Montana Master

M.O.C. #122
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by ols1932

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by bigmurf

This is the only way to go! Why maintain a stick house when you can have your house with you and...if you don't like your neighbors, you can move!

Orv
...and even more to the point of the discussion, if you don't like the CLIMATE, you can move!
OntMont is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2008, 02:00 AM   #33
Ozz
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5980
Well, the travel is still on the table, but I want a shop, Sue wants a smaller home-a smaller stick house we can call home base. You guys know how it is, we want it both ways!
We really don't know where the prices will take the economy, escalating costs may make it very hard to heat homes in the winter, cool them in the summer. The fuel costs may keep us close to home, or rule out much of any travel.
We were thinking that the future may be a parked Montana somewhere, with a fuel efficient auto for getting there.
Old 05-28-2008, 02:57 AM   #34
SlickWillie
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6575
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Ozzie

I'm surprized nobody is talking about coastal waters...that seems to be the trick in Florida. Locals there tell me next to the water is much more comfy, Texas isn't the same?
We'll be spending our first summer on the coast this year. Folks tell me it gets hot here. Guess what. Having lived for years in the piney woods of East TX, it gets hot there too. Usually at least 30 days of 100* plus temps. And the humidity is bad there also. But the salt air here is great for my breathing. Doc said coast or desert; I said coast.
SlickWillie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2008, 05:38 AM   #35
mustang92
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #6132
I am from West Texas. Its easy to find places in Texas with mild winters. The problem is to find a place with mild summers. You might want to do some research on the Alpine, Tx area. It is in far West Texas. I have not been there, but I've been told it is beautiful, in the Guadalupe Mountains (I think) and has mild winters and summers.
mustang92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2008, 07:03 AM   #36
Charlie
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3029
Quote:
quote:
Doc said coast or desert; I said coast.
Remember June 1st is start of hurricane season. Prepare to evauate at least 2-3 days before the command is issued. The traffic jams of 2005 are still fresh in my memory.
Charlie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2008, 09:23 AM   #37
Ozz
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5980
I will be checking out Alpine and the areas Charlie mentioned. Thanks, guys and gals.
Old 05-28-2008, 02:31 PM   #38
Okie Guy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6054
My favorites are New Braunfels, San Angelo, Granbury and Dallas-Fort Worth. DFW has great winters except for some winter mix once in a while. Grandbury has lots of access to water areas so that is a nice location as well.
Okie Guy is offline   Reply With Quote