Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 03-14-2008, 12:41 AM   #1
Glenn and Lorraine
Montana Master

M.O.C. #420
Check Lists..

As it is becoming time for us Snowbirds and Winter Texans to start heading back to the now not so FRIGID GREAT WHITE north and those stuck all winter in that FRIGID GREAT WHITE north to be heading out for our summer vacations I thought we all could make these travels a bit less of a hassle for our fellow members.
I think that all of us have our Check Lists for when we are getting ready to hit the road. Being sure that everything is in it's place and ready to be bounced down the interstate is very important.
Some of you have even added to the basic check lists with your own ideas. I would like to use this thread to further this information by sharing your additional checks.

I will start....

Most of use realize that the ladders on the back of our rigs were meant for one thing and one thing only and that is to allow us to get on the roof. But there are many of us that also use these ladders for hauling a variety of other items such as bicycles, chairs, ladders, blue tanks, coolers, etc. While the ladders were not meant for this added weight we all seem to do it. If you, like me, insist on doing this I would like to make this suggestion. BE SURE that your items are as tight to the ladder as possible. These items should be so tight that they actually become part of the ladder. Any looseness can and will cause the items to move and/or vibrate. This movement/vibration will cause problems down the road and this is a no-no. Use bungee cords to totally secure the load and not just one bungee cord as these cords can fail. Double the number of cords for that extra security and peace of mind. Every time you stop at a rest area or for fuel, go back and check the tightness. If there is any looseness tighten it up again.
ALSO and very important as well. Before securing any thing to the RVs ladder be absolutely positive that every ladder mounting screw is tight.

OK that's my contribution, what's yours???????????????????????

Glenn and Lorraine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2008, 04:44 AM   #2
exav8tr
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6333
I have a Wilson Antenna Attached to the upper rung of the ladder. I remove it while travelling. It would be real easy to forget it.. Don't forget to double check for additional items that may have been added since you bought your rig.

Another. Since we all (well alot of us anyway), seem to have trouble with tires, I ALWAYS check pressures and torque before moving each time. When I stop for breaks I always chech heat by touching each tire and hub.
exav8tr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2008, 04:52 AM   #3
capn chris
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2586
Send a message via AIM to capn chris Send a message via Yahoo to capn chris
I double check my power connect cord from the Monty to TV before departing and at each stop. It has worked loose, and when it does, not only don't the brake lights and turn signals work, but the electric brakes don't function either. Since I travel w/lights on, I can see my marker lights illuminated in the rearview mirror, to be sure.
capn chris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2008, 05:06 AM   #4
DarMar
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1034
My suggestion would be: Secure the galley tank drain handle with a bungee cord, rope, tape or whatever!!

On our previous 2955 it acually vibrated enough to disconnect in the underbelly. My repair entailed dropping part of the underbelly to reconnect. Our current 3400 model seems to show this tendancy as well. Believe me the DW won't be very happy if you can't drain the gally tank the rest of the way home!
2017/3721RL/Legacy Pkg./Pressure-Pro
DarMar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2008, 06:58 AM   #5
MacDR50
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #7691
Thanks for this thread. I had my MH checklist which covered everything from de-winterizing to pre-road checks. One advantage of the MH was you could actually walk around it while someone else was driving to identify rattles, squeaks and bangs. I was wondering if anyone has tried this in their 5vr. I wouldn't suggest this on the open road (although it is legal here to have someone in the 5ver) but a trip around a big parking lot or other safe alternative setting would help eliminate those nasty surprises when you open the door after a road trip.

The one routine I was probably most careful about was disinfecting the water system. Based on my system size I would mix up a 1/2 cup of chlorine bleach in 5 litres of water and pour this into the water tank. I then filled the tank and started the pump after making sure the hot water heater bypass was set to heater. Next step was to turn on each tap (hot and cold) including the toilet flush and let the water run until I smelled the chlorine. Then top off the tank again and let it sit overnight. Next day drain and flush and refill with clean water and drain and flush again.
MacDR50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2008, 07:22 AM   #6
waldo238
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #7818
I put a velcro strap around my plug to the TV because I have had mine work loose also before.
waldo238 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2008, 04:28 PM   #7
danlinserv
Established Member

M.O.C. #7897
Good advice on the ladder. We lost our ladder with two bikes on it with the carrier last month just coming into New Orleans. The bikes were secured properly but the ladder just broke off (both legs) about a foot from the top and the rest of it along with the bikes (two lightweight Treks plus 2.3lb carrier) were lost. I think it was due to the support arms wearing out the flanges that are screwed to the back. All the flanges looked worn and extruded larger. Since the weight limit is 300 lb on the ladder the g forces that ensued by the weight bounce on I10 through Louisiana must have done her in. We are getting a new ladder installed tomorrow and we will find a new place to store the new bikes.
danlinserv is offline   Reply With Quote