Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Repairs & Service
Click Here to Login

Old 04-06-2011, 05:36 PM   #1
Trailer Trash 2
Montana Master

M.O.C. #639
Woe is me I just cant believe it.

Well as a lot of you remember I had my Black tank replaced and then replaced again and then had that one repaired and reinstalled again, and after that I did a complete check had the tank filled and while Mike Thompson was filling the tank they seemed to let it overflow on the floor of the bathroom, the bedroom floor rug, and drip into the basement. one good thing about the work, the tank did not leak so contending with the water all over the floor of the bathroom and removing the water from the rug I figured the problem was OVER so I thought...... we went camping last Monday and I had camp all set up I checked the Fast flush syetem "OK" filled the toilet with water and 2 scoops of Happy flush puched the foot pedal and gvuess what the Dips cracked the toilet flang or they never replaced the prevous flange, so when I get back from this trip I'll remove the toilet and cracked floor flang and see how well I can install and repair what I paid so much money to have a professional dealer do..
I am through with Mike Thompson RV for service anyway parts I'm held prisoner with them.

Old 04-06-2011, 05:43 PM   #2
Waynem
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7673
Sounds like a "crappy" job.

Could have been worse. It could have been black black water.
Waynem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2011, 06:08 PM   #3
helmick
Montana Master

M.O.C. #8890
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Trailer Trash 2

Well as a lot of you remember I had my Black tank replaced and then replaced again and then had that one repaired and reinstalled again, and after that I did a complete check had the tank filled and while Mike Thompson was filling the tank they seemed to let it overflow on the floor of the bathroom, the bedroom floor rug, and drip into the basement. one good thing about the work, the tank did not leak so contending with the water all over the floor of the bathroom and removing the water from the rug I figured the problem was OVER so I thought...... we went camping last Monday and I had camp all set up I checked the Fast flush syetem "OK" filled the toilet with water and 2 scoops of Happy flush puched the foot pedal and gvuess what the Dips cracked the toilet flang or they never replaced the prevous flange, so when I get back from this trip I'll remove the toilet and cracked floor flang and see how well I can install and repair what I paid so much money to have a professional dealer do..
I am through with Mike Thompson RV for service anyway parts I'm held prisoner with them.
Glad you joined the crowd.
helmick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2011, 12:57 AM   #4
ragdoll
Montana Master

M.O.C. #235
Send a message via AIM to ragdoll Send a message via MSN to ragdoll
I know what you mean one small example remember when that little RED gas regulator on street side were leaking. The service man started on the drivers side and started replacing everything ( it was outside I was just watching) so after an hour he got to the other side where the problem was I said its that RED regulator he said we are out of stock you'll have to come back when they come in. So we just don't go to dealers anymore what I can't fix or find out on MOC we find some one that can do it and just pay for anyway it will save me money down th road. My experience has been rough they break more things than they fix. Sorry for venting but a lot of you have been there. Jack
ragdoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2011, 02:33 AM   #5
bncinwv
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6846
Don,
I believe I would be sending them a bill accompanied with a detailed letter that the problems have been reported on the forum. Probably wouldn't do any good, but I would do it for my own satisfaction. Small claims court can also provide some relief if you have the time, just to aggravate them. Sorry about your misfortunes, but at least you are providing valuable info to the MOC, and hopefully the members will avoid this dealer completely.
Bingo

Bingo and Cathy - Our adventures begin in the hills of WV. We are blessed by our 2014 3850FL Big Sky (previous 2011 3750FL and 2007 3400RL) that we pull with a 2007 Chevy Silverado Classic DRW CC dually.
bncinwv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2011, 02:46 AM   #6
dieselguy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3085
This post sums up what I've been subliminally saying (if you can do that) for a long time. At least try and do it yourself ... a good percentage of the time your skills are just as good as some RV dealers tech. Some always worry about a warranty ... in most instances, the same dude that hosed up your repair the first time will get the service call to try it all over. I'm in the service sector of the good ole U S of A ... sadly I know generally what is out there as far as repair personel. Don't get me wrong as there are many good service mechanics ... just 10 fold as many bad ones. Mechanical skill is leaving this country as each generation passes ... I doubt if it wil be back.
dieselguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2011, 04:32 AM   #7
Trailer Trash 2
Montana Master

M.O.C. #639
Well Im now a member of the "you got the shaft by Mike Thompson RV service center" . for the third time.
Strike three Mike Thompson your out.
As for going to small clames court that will never happen the whole court system in So. Cal is so backed up it would be a year or longer for it to get to the table and the gavel.
I think a detailed letter to Keystone might help or it will be added to the pile of complants from others that have written the factory about there service center.
I will fix the problem myself and will have to pay for service from another RV service center that is not part of the Keystone family, they will porbably have to purchase the parts from Mike Thompson's parts counter which will slow down the repair time for me.
this is so depressing, but all will come together and will be better than what they can do for sure.
Thanks for all the written support.

Don
Old 04-07-2011, 05:29 AM   #8
camper4
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6635
I have been burned and helped by RV dealers. Some are okay but I have found that the good ones are bad at times because of which tech gets assigned.. I am a firm believer in doing the fix myself whenever possible.
The last time I got burned was having the wheels bearings greased. They got plenty of grease on my wheels but did not grease two of the wheel bearings and with out getting into it, it cost me a lot. I was thousands of miles away from the dealer.
I will say I had outstanding care form a repair shop in Visalia, California. WHile staying in the local KOA, we had a significant incident that needed repair, The KOA recommended then. Wish I had their name.
I told them I had my wife and two dogs tied to a picnic table at the KOA and could they help me. They are a small shop but they dropped everything and began the repairs. Took all day with two people but they got me fixed. I paid for it but I got it and they did a great job.
camper4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2011, 03:51 PM   #9
Exnavydiver
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7753
Send a message via AIM to Exnavydiver Send a message via MSN to Exnavydiver Send a message via Yahoo to Exnavydiver
Don, I just did the flange thing. It was actually a very easy job. If you can find a decent RV parts supplier you can get that flange for around 15 bucks. It is a screw on toilet flange. There are flange bolt holes at 4 different points. If on of one set is broken you can take the toilet off the pedestal and take out the two lag bolts as well as the the flange bolts. after you get that done you will see between 4 and 6 short fat screws holding the flange to the floor. Once these are lose rotate the flange 90 degrees so the two good bolt slots line up with the old bolt positions. Now you can do either one of two things, reuse the old screws in the original holes or replace them with bolts, washers, and nyloc nuts. When I did mine I reused the old screws because they didn't have stripped out holes. When you put the pedestal back on I would definitely replace the pedistal lag bolts with 1/4x20 stainless bolts, washers, and Nylocs. I reused the flange bolts also as they were still good. When you reinstall the bowl on top of the pedestal make sure you have the ball valve gaskets in the right order... Dave
Exnavydiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2011, 04:07 PM   #10
Trailer Trash 2
Montana Master

M.O.C. #639
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Exnavydiver

Don, I just did the flange thing. It was actually a very easy job. If you can find a decent RV parts supplier you can get that flange for around 15 bucks. It is a screw on toilet flange. There are flange bolt holes at 4 different points. If on of one set is broken you can take the toilet off the pedestal and take out the two lag bolts as well as the the flange bolts. after you get that done you will see between 4 and 6 short fat screws holding the flange to the floor. Once these are lose rotate the flange 90 degrees so the two good bolt slots line up with the old bolt positions. Now you can do either one of two things, reuse the old screws in the original holes or replace them with bolts, washers, and nyloc nuts. When I did mine I reused the old screws because they didn't have stripped out holes. When you put the pedestal back on I would definitely replace the pedistal lag bolts with 1/4x20 stainless bolts, washers, and Nylocs. I reused the flange bolts also as they were still good. When you reinstall the bowl on top of the pedestal make sure you have the ball valve gaskets in the right order... Dave
For sure Dave I can do it, its a shame that when you pay 115.00 per hour that thats what you get. when we get back next month I'll change it out.
Old 04-07-2011, 04:32 PM   #11
SlickWillie
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6575
There are three or four RV service companies around here; not dealers, but independent. From what I know, they are all incompetent. Kechner's RV Service has been screwing around on my tanks since January 28th. I have the extended service policy, but dad gummed, I think I'd rather do it myself.
SlickWillie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2011, 07:22 PM   #12
Trailer Trash 2
Montana Master

M.O.C. #639
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by SlickWillie

There are three or four RV service companies around here; not dealers, but independent. From what I know, they are all incompetent. Kechner's RV Service has been screwing around on my tanks since January 28th. I have the extended service policy, but dad gummed, I think I'd rather do it myself.
After working on these tanks I know I can do my Black tank and do it right all I need is a tranmission jack to help me hold it up. a piece of cake now.
Old 04-08-2011, 04:07 AM   #13
SlickWillie
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6575
Don, I'm thinking one of those cheap come-alongs from I beam to I beam on the frame would work good if you don't have a tranny jack. Might have to put something under the tank to raise it high enough.

Another thing I've noticed. The tank has no slope to it when mounted. I know those level indicators are not any good, but I think ours still holds a 1/4 of a tank or so when drained. I saw this while inspecting the old tank....and they filled a five gallon bucket when they cut the discharge line. If I were gonna change it out, I would drop the front of the fiver down three or four inches and flush that sucker real good.
SlickWillie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2011, 06:34 AM   #14
Trailer Trash 2
Montana Master

M.O.C. #639
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by SlickWillie

Don, I'm thinking one of those cheap come-alongs from I beam to I beam on the frame would work good if you don't have a tranny jack. Might have to put something under the tank to raise it high enough.

Another thing I've noticed. The tank has no slope to it when mounted. I know those level indicators are not any good, but I think ours still holds a 1/4 of a tank or so when drained. I saw this while inspecting the old tank....and they filled a five gallon bucket when they cut the discharge line. If I were gonna change it out, I would drop the front of the fiver down three or four inches and flush that sucker real good.
The critical part of putting in a new tank is this... transfering the location of all vents and sewer holes thats where MT Rv went wrong they missed the location of these holes by 3/4 of an inch twords the street side of the RV which put a lot of pressure on the fittings causing the glued connectors to rupture and disconect from the tank. they tried to say the tank was bad, and put the blame on Tri-star tank. To get the hole location for plumbing I would place the tank up in the area then mark the tank drop it down and then drill the tanks plumbing and the glue on the fittings.
It might be a longer process but I dont think I would botch the job as much as MT RV and in a lot less time.
Old 04-08-2011, 07:45 AM   #15
CamillaMichael
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10246
Sorry to hear about the POOR SERVICE you received...no excuse. You might want to think about some kind of disinfecting agent to deal with the black tank overflowing into your living space...there can be some pretty nasty germs growing in our black tanks.
CamillaMichael is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2011, 12:06 PM   #16
Trailer Trash 2
Montana Master

M.O.C. #639
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by CamillaMichael

Sorry to hear about the POOR SERVICE you received...no excuse. You might want to think about some kind of disinfecting agent to deal with the black tank overflowing into your living space...there can be some pretty nasty germs growing in our black tanks.
The overflow was from thr repair company after the tank was replaced so no waist was ever in it yet just clean water. just there incompatance.
Trailer Trash 2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2011, 03:12 PM   #17
scductman
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7270
Don I have had my front gray tank out 2 times first fix didn't work! well at least I found out before I put the belly back. My tank only weighed about 10# it was easy to lift and slide in on one bracket and put the other one up. That works good as long as you can lay on your back and reach the tank. I have a local RV repairman lives about 10 miles from me that comes to you and believe me I use the term RV repairman very loosely! he charged me 125$ to replace a 12v fuse. BOY I felt STUPPIIDDDD!!!!! BTW you look alot smarter than a rv repairman.LOL
Bobby
scductman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2011, 05:28 PM   #18
Trailer Trash 2
Montana Master

M.O.C. #639
Thanks Bobby for the compliment, I believe that most of us are smarter than the majority of RV mechanics at least all the ones I have met and they are mostly at Mike Thompson RV.
Old 04-09-2011, 04:08 AM   #19
ols1932
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1944
It really bothers me when I hear of all the lousy work done by RV service people. My dealer has really developed a great service department. It is his opinion that poor service brings about no sales (or service). He has even developed a mobile service that comes to you and performs any service that does not require bringing the rig into the shop.

Orv
ols1932 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2011, 04:26 PM   #20
scductman
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7270
Orv I agree with you that there are some great service folks out there. But honestly they are hard to find around here. my dealer had one that was good and they let him leave don't know where he went to work. Just seems to me that alot of the folks now don't have the pride that workers had yrs ago. JMHO. If you watch this forum maybe its me but the newer montanas seem to have more problems than the older units. mine is a 06 made in 05 and my main problem has been 2 tanks and some small things. Like I said maybe its just me. Sorry guys I do love the montana though.
Bobby
scductman is offline   Reply With Quote