Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Maintenance
Click Here to Login

Old 07-08-2010, 07:09 AM   #1
stiles watson
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2059
Maybe I am just slow

We have dribble showers due to disappointing water pressure. I talked to the CG attendant. He told me the pressure was set at 40 psi from the well head. It holds steady. I am double filtered, so that drops it a little more. What I got is all I get.

He suggested that I might consider filling my fresh water tank and using it with the water pump for showers. I had never thought of doing that, but will try it to see what happens.

stiles watson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2010, 08:12 AM   #2
H. John Kohl
Montana Master

M.O.C. #311
Send a message via AIM to H. John Kohl Send a message via MSN to H. John Kohl Send a message via Yahoo to H. John Kohl
Stiles,
I have used the holding tank and pump as an assist. I also use this Oxygenics shower head. It was recommended by Wayne M. and I feel it does give a good spray with a lot less water pressure. 40 pounds at the well head is low but it is their campground.

edit - link fixed, thanks Orv
H. John Kohl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2010, 08:42 AM   #3
Art-n-Marge
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9257
Send a message via MSN to Art-n-Marge Send a message via Yahoo to Art-n-Marge
If they only put out 40 lbs at the well head, then with multiple rigs all sharing the same well head really drops the pressure when several faucets are opened for any reason. An Oxygenics shower head might help at the shower but everything else will still suffer (lavatory, sink, toilet, etc.)

Using the fresh water tank and pump would definitely help but it kind of defeats the cost of paying for full hookups if the CG can't deliver a usable pressure. Plus then you have to keep refilling the tank and then empty it prior to leaving so as not to carry all that weight. Monitoring this should subtract from the cost of the hookup. I hope you are paying a good price.

Hang in there.

My last trip to a campground it had a plumbing failure for half a day and I had neglected to fill the fresh tank for just this case. Just another thing to consider during the initial setup.
Art-n-Marge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2010, 08:43 AM   #4
stiles watson
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2059
I have the same spray head. If not for that, I wouldn't even have a spray. It is amazing, but the gauge at my rig reads a consistent 40psi
stiles watson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2010, 09:53 AM   #5
Mrs. CountryGuy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6337
Stiles,

Probably does not come into play, but, have you had the faucets apart lately to check for mineral deposit build up?? Might want to conider looking at any of those filters and anything that might "clog" up.

Frustrating, but consider the alternative, sitting in a stick built. Eh??

I take it you are still in the NW on your surprise mission for a year?? How is that going?? (OOOps this probably is considered off topic. Sorry)
Mrs. CountryGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2010, 10:48 AM   #6
ols1932
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1944
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by H. John Kohl

Stiles,
I have used the holding tank and pump as an assist. I also use this Oxygenics shower head. It was recommended by Wayne M. and I feel it does give a good spray with a lot less water pressure. 40 pounds at the well head is low but it is their campground.
John, the link doesn't work.

Orv
ols1932 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2010, 11:12 AM   #7
Lambchop
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #5793
We had the same problem at a RV park in FL. If someone was washing clothes, you had NO pressure. Yes, your water tank & pump will work as stated above.
I cured it by taking a shower at 8:00 at night. All kinds of pressure at that time.

Roy
Lambchop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2010, 01:40 PM   #8
Waynem
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7673
I'm a believer in the Oxygenics shower head.

I'm also a believer that those little water regulators that they sell at the RV parks are more of a hinder than a help. Since I switched over to a "Watts" regulator, my pressure has been better. You can get the Watts at just about any hardware store. I rigged mine with a 4 way bronze connector so that when I'm washing the rig and other things I don't have to disconnect. I ran into one place last night that had the water faucet submerged in a little well. I had to get on my knees to turn the water on. That is not fun with one knee replaced and the other needing it. Then the water filter would not fit. No problem. I had a short 3' piece of hose that went in between the well and the filter. Just American ingenuity.
Waynem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2010, 01:29 AM   #9
Bill-N-Donna
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7110
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by H. John Kohl

Stiles,

edit - link fixed, thanks Orv

John, I don’t want to change the subject here but I have a couple of questions… when you say assist you’re not indicating that it supplies water along with the shore water at the same time are you?

It’s always been my thinking that there was a check valve which when using the fresh water tank you wouldn’t get anything from the shore water or at least it would only supply water from the highest pressure side. How would that work exactly?
Old 07-09-2010, 09:13 AM   #10
washley1
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9053
Question here. I am still using the valve I used on the hose to my pop up. I looked through my hand books, but Keystone does not seem to say how much pressure I should allow. CW has several size valves on the rack, some at 40 to 45 and others at 50 to 55, etc. What should I be using?
washley1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2010, 11:49 AM   #11
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
We have used the Watts regulator, too, for about 5 or 6 years. On our prior Montana with the plastic Thetford toilet I set that regulator to just under 60 psi because above that would shoot flush water out of the toilet bowl. This Montana has the porcelain sea and land toilet and I've not checked to see if it could handle higher pressure. So we're still set at about 58 psi.

I can't remember exactly what the pex (is that the right name) tubing used for the water lines can handle but last time I checked it was at least 140 psi. It's printed right on the tubing. Years and years ago 40 to 50 psi was conventional wisdom as the max pressure you should use because the tubing connectors would blow out with sustained pressure much higher than that. With today's connectors and tubing it can handle substantially higher pressure, in my opinion. How high I'm not sure but I do know we've never had a problem with ours set at 58 psi. And many, many parks reach that level with no difficulty. There are some, however.... like those mentioned above.

As for the connection at the park's spigot, I like to use a Y adapter so I can connect to the unfiltered, unregulated side for washing the rig. But some parks' spigots make that difficult. To solve that I put a quick connect on the incoming side of the Y. Now on the park's spigot I just have to screw on the male side of the quick connect, then snap the Y's quick connect female side onto that. It's usually much easier that way. If there's still no room for the Y, then I do like Wayne and use a short hose with quick connect onto the park's spigot and then snap the Y onto that.

I also have quick connects on the outgoing sides of the Y as well as on most all of my hoses. It makes it much easier and also extends the life of the hose washers. I guess I'm just basically lazy!
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2010, 11:50 AM   #12
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
Stiles, you probably checked this already but your comment that the gauge says 40 psi makes me wonder if your screen on the city water inlet or in the line behind the screen might be limed up. Just a thought.
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote