Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > HAVE MOC WILL TRAVEL > On the Road Again
Click Here to Login

Old 05-11-2009, 08:22 PM   #1
Art-n-Marge
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9257
Send a message via MSN to Art-n-Marge Send a message via Yahoo to Art-n-Marge
Has anyone driven the rig in Chesapeake?

It probably isn't even legal, but have any of you ever driven or seen a 5er on the Chesapeake Bay Bridge/Tunnel across Chesapeake Bay in Virginia?

Several years ago, I did this by car and parked in the middle parking lot to witness a Nuclear submarine submerge so that only the top of the conning tower showed and sailed right over the tunnel section WE HAD JUST COME UP from. I never heard a "thunk" so I knew the tunnel we must have been down in was pretty deep. I am sure the Sub Captain did this just to freak us out. I had been watching the sub from a ways away after we parked at the rest stop and there were some crew on the tower prior to their submerging as they went by us on their way out to sea. There were also a bunch of other Naval vessels that stayed on the surface going by but only one sub. The huge Norfolk Naval Station was in the distance where most of these vessels were coming from.

I recall the parking lot had a rental Class C RV parked with all us other tourists but that's all I remember regarding large vehicles. I can't remember if I saw a large truck going by but I think there were some. It's been about 15 years since I was there.

For those of you who have not witnessed this, it is an AWESOME sight and experience. It is a phenomenal piece of engineering to figure out how they did this. I recall reading there were fatalities during construction years ago which saddened the story, but it is an experience to remember, nevertheless. Even my can't-be-scared 15 year old daughter was impressed.

Anyone been there with their Monty?

Art-n-Marge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2009, 12:21 AM   #2
Glenn and Lorraine
Montana Master

M.O.C. #420
Yes, we have taken the Monty across.
This is one place they will positvely make sure your LP tanks are closed tight.
Only problem was not a single ship was going over muchless a sub.
Glenn and Lorraine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2009, 12:46 AM   #3
NCFischers
Montana Master

M.O.C. #8728
Send a message via Yahoo to NCFischers
Like Glenn said, no problem with the Monty, tractor-trailers use it all the time. I wouldn't try to stop at the rest area on the bridge though. Depending on your direction, pulling in or leaving requires a pretty tight turn that is interesting when I'm just in the dually and not pulling the trailer. I'm not sure I'd want to try it when I'm 55 feet long.
I was heading North a few years ago and stopped at the rest area to stretch my legs. It was about 1 AM. While I was standing there by myself, a container ship passed by. It was huge and very impressive. It really gives you a perspective as to just how enormous these ships are.
NCFischers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2009, 05:35 AM   #4
rps
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #6052
Last month we crossed the Chesepeake Bay Bridge Tunnel with no problems --

We had our E-Z Pass, so only a quick pause at the toll plaza to be invited on thru

We had shut off our propane tanks before departing Virginia Beach, but we were never asked or inspected.
rps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2009, 07:00 AM   #5
CmdrDewey
Montana Master

M.O.C. #433
I have towed over several times. There are no signs about propane and I didn't shut them off. The last time I did stop at the rest area but it was a slow day and I parked way out near the entrance so I could just pull a u-e. I also use EZ Pass

CmdrDewey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2009, 08:38 AM   #6
Mrs. CountryGuy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6337
OKKK, as they say: TOPIC DRIFT

For you two that used EZ Pass, I note you are NOT from Virginia

soooo, does that thing work all over the US?? or is it a truck thing??

Educate ole Carol, please!!
Mrs. CountryGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2009, 10:17 AM   #7
NCFischers
Montana Master

M.O.C. #8728
Send a message via Yahoo to NCFischers
It works all over the place. It can be used in any vehicle. It's now compatible with other pass systems. I recently used mine in the Chicago area.
NCFischers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2009, 04:40 PM   #8
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
Been there did that. We did see a sign concerning propane.
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2009, 04:48 PM   #9
Art-n-Marge
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9257
Send a message via MSN to Art-n-Marge Send a message via Yahoo to Art-n-Marge
Good to know, thanks for all the info!

If I am ever in that area and towing, I will be there for sure! I do recall that the rest stop was tight turns, but I'd still give it a try. We were lucky the day we were there, because we were lucky enough to see lots of ships and especially that sub. The rest stop is close to the water so you can certainly appreciate the size of the ships.

I'll be sure to turn off the propane. I don't want to be the numbskull that makes the news because I hit something and caused a tunnel fire - dead or alive. Yikes!
Art-n-Marge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2009, 01:45 AM   #10
Bill-N-Donna
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7110
We went over it once but not with the Monty. Seeing a ship or a submarine would be awesome.

Old 05-15-2009, 02:43 AM   #11
noneck
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6263
Send a message via AIM to noneck
Yup...as others have said, LP off, pulled Monty through...bit of stress running the tunnel with on coming Tractor Trailers as they don't let up on the accelerator.
noneck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2009, 05:40 AM   #12
bowill4
Established Member

M.O.C. #8111
Yes you can pull your monty over the bridge.
I drove my M2 freightliner pulling our monty a cross with no problems
bowill4 is offline   Reply With Quote