Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Maintenance
Click Here to Login

Old 07-30-2010, 02:55 PM   #1
Jdrobone
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #9833
F-350 fuel filter/seperator

I'd like to strangle whatever Ford engineer(??) decided on the location for that fuel filter tangled all up in the frame of my F-350. Not to mention I had to buy a special socket (shallow 36mm) just to get it off.
Jerry

Jdrobone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2010, 02:58 PM   #2
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
Jerry.. Thanks for reminding me why I let Ford Service do it.. Besides being lazy..
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2010, 03:38 PM   #3
mlh
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2283
Ford has a mew filter for the 6.4 trucks. It helps keep water from getting to your high pressure fuel pump. It has an extra O ring on the frame mounted filter. If water gets to your high pressure it will ruin it, take out all of the injectors and all of the fuel lines. This will not be covered by any warranty. It is up to a $9000 cab off repair. Be sure you get the new filter! This is a problem for these trucks and thats why Ford developed a new filter.
Lynwood
mlh is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2010, 01:57 AM   #4
CamillaMichael
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10246
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by mlh

Ford has a mew filter for the 6.4 trucks. It helps keep water from getting to your high pressure fuel pump. It has an extra O ring on the frame mounted filter. If water gets to your high pressure it will ruin it, take out all of the injectors and all of the fuel lines. This will not be covered by any warranty. It is up to a $9000 cab off repair. Be sure you get the new filter! This is a problem for these trucks and thats why Ford developed a new filter.
Lynwood
Just towed a "neighbor's" Big Sky to the campground we are at. He was unfortunate to get a load of "bad" fuel somewhere in Mass, and some of that water got past his filter. Cost him $4,000 to get it fixed...seems none of his insurances or warrantees covered the problem...another thing for me to check.
CamillaMichael is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2010, 02:54 AM   #5
mlh
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2283
Michael
Exactly what I have been saying. Can we say preaching. If you have one of these new trucks with the high pressure fuel systems, and all new diesel trucks do, and you think you have dirty fuel or water in your fuel cut your truck off, coast to the side of the road and check. If you think your warranty or ESP will cover it. I have bad news for you. It will NOT. Your friend was lucky it could have cost $9000.
Lynwood
mlh is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2010, 05:36 AM   #6
Tom S.
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7500
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by CamillaMichael

Quote:

Lynwood
Just towed a "neighbor's" Big Sky to the campground we are at. He was unfortunate to get a load of "bad" fuel somewhere in Mass, and some of that water got past his filter. Cost him $4,000 to get it fixed...seems none of his insurances or warrantees covered the problem...another thing for me to check.
If he knows where he picked up the bad fuel at, he can file a claim against them.
Tom S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2010, 07:18 AM   #7
CamillaMichael
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10246
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Tom S.

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by CamillaMichael

Quote:

Lynwood
If he knows where he picked up the bad fuel at, he can file a claim against them.
I believe he intends to do so when he gets home...never met him before, and these were not the best circumstances to meet anyone, this bad fuel thing was about the last straw for him...to say he was a bit depressed would be an understatement. Wish him well, hate to see anyone get stung like that.
CamillaMichael is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2010, 12:22 PM   #8
Trailer Trash 2
Montana Master

M.O.C. #639
What a shame, there should be no reason what so ever for getting bad fuel from a service station, especally at the prices we are paying per gallon, the pumps should be forced to run a clear glass filter seperator on each pump so the customer can see the color and quality of fuel going through the hose and into your tank, in a way I have been able to solve that problem by using my transfer tank in the bed of the truck as a secondary fuel filter before it goes into the truck tank. I will empty that transfer tank and fill up the truck tank with it. then I fill up the transfer tank again this also insures I dont have old fuel sitting around.
Old 07-31-2010, 05:36 PM   #9
Jdrobone
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #9833
All good comments guys, and certainly illustrates why I was changing that bad boy. I was just griping on the almost impossible to get to location they decided to put it in.
Jerry
Jdrobone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2010, 09:36 AM   #10
kmh3212
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #6735
The first time the fuel/water filter change is a bear. It is easier the next time. The frame rail filter is a little tough. The most important thing is to drain the fuel completely before taking the cap off. Also drain fuel/water separator once a month and if the light ever comes on. (Mine never has come on) Oh and by the way cap torque is 20 ft/lbs and lube the cap o ring with motor oil.
kmh3212 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2010, 06:47 PM   #11
8e3k0
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9261
The fuel filter by oil filter is a nice easy change. The one under the chasis by the frame rail can be difficult but not impossible.
We do our own servicing and have the 36 mm socket at hand. Gives me a better comfort zone if I do the change. Have seen some strange things happen with service shops and techs; like saying "filters were changed" but originals were still in place!!
8e3k0 is offline   Reply With Quote