Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Maintenance
Click Here to Login

Old 02-15-2018, 10:35 PM   #1
Kenw
Established Member

M.O.C. #19636
Onan generator Maintenance???

I have a Onan HGJAB generator (propane). I purchased it March 2017 and it now has 24.5 hours on it. Do I really need to service this unit at 1 year? I can understand maintenance on a gasoline unit but (clean burning) propane?

Kenw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2018, 06:38 AM   #2
mlh
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2283
Onan says you should exercise it every month, start it up and run it for at least 20 minutes.
Lynwood
mlh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2018, 09:34 PM   #3
scottz
Site Team

M.O.C. #19755
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenw View Post
I have a Onan HGJAB generator (propane). I purchased it March 2017 and it now has 24.5 hours on it. Do I really need to service this unit at 1 year? I can understand maintenance on a gasoline unit but (clean burning) propane?
Why wouldn't you service it as per the manufacturers recommendations? It is an easy and inexpensive job. I assume you are talking about changing the oil. Onan recommends changing it every 150 hours or annually.
scottz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2018, 06:06 AM   #4
Kenw
Established Member

M.O.C. #19636
Yes, I'm talking about the oil. On my last RV I had 350 hours on my generator after 10 years in service. Yes changing the oil is cheep but I guess that I'm tired of performing unnecessary maintenance. The oil still looks new.
Kenw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2018, 09:34 AM   #5
mlh
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2283
I don’t blame you a bit changing oil ever few hours is a waste. I have a Honda IS 3000 and an Onan and I’m not going to change the oil every year. The Honda is at least 15 years old. I have less than a thousand dollars for it and it has never failed to start. I think use a little common sense.
Lynwood
mlh is offline   Reply With Quote