Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Montana Problems, Problem Solving & Technical Help
Click Here to Login

Old 09-12-2023, 07:38 PM   #1
gregdan24
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #9822
Kitchen Slide Slow Then Stops

I am the original owner of a 2010 Montana Mountaineer 347THT with 3 hydraulic slides. A new problem just started.

The slides start out normally, bedroom first then living room almost all the way out, then the kitchen slide starts out. Then the kitchen slide will slow and stop, even though the pump motor is still running.

If I let off the switch, then try again, it still won't extend. But if I reverse and retract the bedroom slide a couple inches, then start to extend again, the slides will extend at the normal speed with no problem.

The slides all retract normally.

The hydraulic fluid is full. I have two 6 volt golf cart batteries that are fully charged. They are a little over 5 years old. I watched the voltage while the system is operating and the voltage drop is not excessive.

I regularly maintain and lube the slide gears etc. and the slides are properly adjusted.

I'm hoping someone here has experienced this problem and can shed some light on what is going on in the system. We're heading south in a few days so not the best time for this to happen!

Thanks in advance...and sorry don't know what happened to my sig info or how to get it back.

Greg

gregdan24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2024, 06:20 AM   #2
tonyjustin

M.O.C. #30752
Kitchen Slide Slow Then Stops

Hello Greg. My 2010 just developed the same problem. I thought I was lucky to have found your post but I don’t see any replies or suggestions. Did you ever get the problem fixed? Thanks.
tonyjustin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2024, 06:49 AM   #3
gregdan24
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #9822
Quote:
Originally Posted by tonyjustin View Post
Hello Greg. My 2010 just developed the same problem. I thought I was lucky to have found your post but I don’t see any replies or suggestions. Did you ever get the problem fixed? Thanks.

I think my problem may have been a combination of things. First, I found that the inside edge of my kitchen slide was dragging a bit tight on the floor where there is a bit of a hump in the floor from who knows what. I adjusted it so there's hardly any drag and I think that helped a lot.

I also suspect my batteries (two 6 volt golf cart batteries) may be getting a bit tired. They are over 5 years old. Still haven't replaced them, but I probably will before our next trip.

I have only used the 5er twice since my original post, the last being in December. I don't remember if it is still doing it. If it does I just reverse the slides so the bedroom retracts a couple inches and send them out again.

Good luck with yours.

Greg
gregdan24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2024, 07:48 AM   #4
ChuckS
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20949
I wonder when the last time was you swapped out the fluid in the pump reservoir.. There are NO FILTERS in the hyd system so as time goes on and the cylinder rod seals wear, minute particles start to build up.

This can cause the small orifices to get clogged up and prevent fluid flow.
The order of slide motion with your 3 hyd slides will always be, BR, passenger side and then drivers side will be last.

Since the pump motor is still running but no motion on the one slide it is not an issue with the resettable breaker, dual polarity solenoid, etc.

It could be the hydac valve for the slides ( Only 1 for all 3 ) is closing due to low voltage to the coil on the cartridge or a coil that is weak...

Anyway.. a few items to consider....
ChuckS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2024, 05:56 AM   #5
tonyjustin

M.O.C. #30752
Thanks guys. I went to the RV store yesterday and the technician suggested lubing the slides. He sold a can of lube that you spray on the rubber seals and another can of dry lube to use on the mechanical parts, such as the slide rack and pinion wheels. I lubed the seals yesterday but did not use the dry lube as it got at or below freezing last night and will again the next few days. The instructions read to use it above 50 degrees. I still will try the fluid replacement. I suspect it is original to the unit. I don’t think it is a battery issue. The unit has two batteries, one is brand new (first time use) and the other is a couple years old. Both have been on tenders all winter and I reinstalled them last Wednesday. They are 12 volt deep cycle batteries, wired in parallel. Thanks again for the advice. I really appreciate it.
tonyjustin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2024, 07:34 AM   #6
ChuckS
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20949
Quote:
Originally Posted by tonyjustin View Post
Thanks guys. I went to the RV store yesterday and the technician suggested lubing the slides. He sold a can of lube that you spray on the rubber seals and another can of dry lube to use on the mechanical parts, such as the slide rack and pinion wheels. I lubed the seals yesterday but did not use the dry lube as it got at or below freezing last night and will again the next few days. The instructions read to use it above 50 degrees. I still will try the fluid replacement. I suspect it is original to the unit. I don’t think it is a battery issue. The unit has two batteries, one is brand new (first time use) and the other is a couple years old. Both have been on tenders all winter and I reinstalled them last Wednesday. They are 12 volt deep cycle batteries, wired in parallel. Thanks again for the advice. I really appreciate it.
I operate my hydraulic slides when temps are below freezing...and have for the last 10 years on my current unit.. The slides move a bit slower when cold due to fluid viscosity being thicker. BUT THEY MOVE.

With over 2000 psi of hydraulic pressure those slides will move unless something is in there way or there is a mechanical issue with those gear packs..

I would be looking at the TEETH and cleaning the gear packs as well as looking at overall adjustment when extended and closed.

I have not "Lubed" my slide seals in 11 years now and I never will.. I use baby powder on the inside and outside of the wiper seals and D seals only...

Both OPS have issues that need some eyeballs on the gear packs, Fluid, Adjustment , etc .. IMO
ChuckS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2024, 11:49 AM   #7
twindman
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5651
Tony, I think I have read that you shouldn't connect 2 batteries like that unless they are the same age, etc. I think the lower/weaker one will drag the good one down.

Tom and Gail
2013 Mountaineer 362
2012 Silverado 2500
twindman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2024, 07:51 PM   #8
Maddog
Established Member

M.O.C. #18615
Send a message via AIM to Maddog
Quote:
Originally Posted by gregdan24 View Post
I am the original owner of a 2010 Montana Mountaineer 347THT with 3 hydraulic slides. A new problem just started.

The slides start out normally, bedroom first then living room almost all the way out, then the kitchen slide starts out. Then the kitchen slide will slow and stop, even though the pump motor is still running.

If I let off the switch, then try again, it still won't extend. But if I reverse and retract the bedroom slide a couple inches, then start to extend again, the slides will extend at the normal speed with no problem.

The slides all retract normally.

The hydraulic fluid is full. I have two 6 volt golf cart batteries that are fully charged. They are a little over 5 years old. I watched the voltage while the system is operating and the voltage drop is not excessive.

I regularly maintain and lube the slide gears etc. and the slides are properly adjusted.

I'm hoping someone here has experienced this problem and can shed some light on what is going on in the system. We're heading south in a few days so not the best time for this to happen!

Thanks in advance...and sorry don't know what happened to my sig info or how to get it back.

Greg
Ours is a 2016 and it does the same thing so they put rollers on the bedroom slide. If you look there, you can see him and you can go to Amazon and buy four. There’s actually a website somebody posted online and what you do is you run your slide out all the way then you put a jack under with a 4 x 4 post and a crossmember and jacket up, get under there and cut just enough space to remove the metal that it’s riding on it gets worn and then it causes problems. Putting four rollers on that slide should cure the problem.
Maddog is offline   Reply With Quote