Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > TIRES, Montana Tires
Click Here to Login

Old 01-10-2016, 06:33 AM   #21
mazboy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9561
chipf2 the g614s are great, sorry you have had problems with the other goodyear tires. get rid of the hnakook tires when you can, as for carrying 2 spares, i guess that is fine but i wouldn't have the room. even going to alaska you really only need one spare.

what specific hankook tire was it? i can't seem to fine g rated hankooks for 16 inch rims?

mazboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2016, 05:22 AM   #22
Chipf2
Established Member

M.O.C. #13493
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by mazboy

chipf2 the g614s are great, sorry you have had problems with the other goodyear tires. get rid of the hnakook tires when you can, as for carrying 2 spares, i guess that is fine but i wouldn't have the room. even going to alaska you really only need one spare.

what specific hankook tire was it? i can't seem to fine g rated hankooks for 16 inch rims?
Chipf2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2016, 05:46 AM   #23
Chipf2
Established Member

M.O.C. #13493
mazboy, The Hankooks are 7.50R16LT 14 ply G rated. They are radial LT's and we have using them on our livestock trailers for several years with good experiences and no blow outs. See the comment from DQDick regarding them as well. They are rated for 3300 #'s, speed rated for 68 (K), which I really was not clear on when I got them. So they are kind of like an F rated tire rather than full G rated like the G614s. I am much more informed now regarding them, and still overall not dissatisfied with them. Had I had a TPMS system, and perhaps slowed down some (in to much of a hurry to get to the kids house for the Holidays), this would not have been such a big deal.
You won't find the tires on the Hankook website for some reason. I have about 12,000 miles on this set over the last 1 1/2 years, pulling the 5er around the country. From TX (North of DFW-have to be specific due to size of TX ) west coast twice & back, TX to NE last winter & back, one tour of NM & back, and two trips to the TX valley & back.
So the good news is that Discount Tire was terrific, they paid to replace the blown tire, the tire in front of the blown tire, which had been punctured by the wires of the blown tire, and one of the other tires which they found had the belt starting to separate. I have four new tires on the ground (with the spare that I had never used) again. So....we'll monitor them, use them until we have additional issues, if we do, then look to replace them, but hopefully not have to deal with this again for a few years.
I have tried to include a lot of info into this thread so we can all share and learn from each other. All the input has been terrific and appreciated. Thanks to all.
Old 01-16-2016, 05:17 AM   #24
Chipf2
Established Member

M.O.C. #13493
Update: I talked to the dealer, Discount, and they agreed to refund the cost of the damaged Hankooks (3 tires) and apply that to G614'3 and I had to buy one additional G614. Had the G614's installed yesterday.
Made this decision based upon all the input from all of you.
So, thanks to all of you four your help and sharing your experiences. We look forward to our next trip starting next Monday-about 2000 miles to the southwest. On to Florida in Feb.
Old 01-16-2016, 05:19 AM   #25
Chipf2
Established Member

M.O.C. #13493
By the way, the price for the G614's was $312 per tire, plus tax. Bet price I have seen.