Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > TIRES, Montana Tires
Click Here to Login

Old 08-11-2015, 11:41 AM   #21
1retired06
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12156
Hmm, not good.

F350 crew cab dually 6.7
1retired06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2015, 01:20 PM   #22
jchw
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #6712
A few years ago we were headed west out of San Antonio on I-10. We were in the right lane at rush hour, going up a slight grade, when I noticed we seemed to be slowing down more than what I thought was appropriate, and I was gradually turning the steering wheel more and more to the right. I realized that I was about at 90 degrees to the right on the wheel when the left front tire finally blew out. It took some elbow grease to get the rig over on to the shoulder. Although there was an exit "right there", I resisted the urge to crank the steering wheel "a little bit more". We both resumed breathing and I opted too to go ahead and change the tire myself. Lower the front struts so that the passing cars and rigs that were putting out a "bow wave" of air wouldn't shake the truck off the jack. Got it changed, picked up the wheel well liner, and got back on the road. Noted the ABS brake light was on, but fortunately there was a Dodge dealer at the next exit. Verdict: wire harness in above wheel well liner was damaged. Drove carefully to Kerrville, then back to San Antonio on Sunday. Dodge dealer did their thing, but missed something important as I found out next weekend... In passing through Austin I had to do a quick stop with a light that changed "quickly". Left front brake locked up and flat-spotted tire!! Back to the dealer Monday morning (AGAIN), with my words to the effect that the ABS computer had probably had a short circuit from the previous weekend blowout. CHECK IT OUT!! Guess what... the computer was toast. Bottom line: If you have a tire that blows and does body damage - look for more damage then just the tire.
jchw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2015, 02:48 PM   #23
Dam Worker
Montana Master

M.O.C. #17164
Jchw I am glad everything turned out alright for you. I also used the front landing gear to take the extra weight off the rear of our TV. Did not really think about using it to keep the buffeting wind from passing traffic from shaking the rig. That was a good idea especially as you had front tire issue and really did not need to move extra weight from rear axle.

Tom Marty
Old 08-14-2015, 07:30 AM   #24
Annaoinga
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #15850
Sorry that happened but glad no one was hurt and no major damage!
Annaoinga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2015, 04:31 PM   #25
Dam Worker
Montana Master

M.O.C. #17164
Jim and Anna thanks for the kind reply. I just got back from a body shop and it appears to be going to cost just under four grand to get the truck back into the shape it was in before the blowout. Thousand dollar deductible and I will probably be put on the insurance bad list or least pay higher premiums. I guess I have to look at the bright side. No handling problems when the tire blew out and I was not killed while putting on the spare. I will née to check out the 3160 and make sure I don't have more than big black marks all over the off door front side of the trailer. Lot of big chunks of rubber flew into the front of our trailer and then went under it.

Tom Marty