Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Solar, Charging Systems, Batteries and Electrical
Click Here to Login

Old 02-09-2013, 06:00 PM   #1
tractor
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #3421
Battery burnt up

I have always left battery in for winter with unit pluged in with porch light or other light on so battery could get worked to not freeze.Went out other day strong sulfer smell coming from camper un pluged and let battery die.05 montana original battery does converter have replacable charge module in it or do you thing battery just had enough.Can I run lights and furnace with out battery.Thanks

tractor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2013, 07:23 PM   #2
Art-n-Marge
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9257
Send a message via MSN to Art-n-Marge Send a message via Yahoo to Art-n-Marge
You can run the lights and furnace without the battery but you must be connected to shore power or a generator or solar with a powerful inverter (and wired correctly, too).

However, the battery is needed for when you are towing because it powers your trailer brakes. I have a battery disconnect switch for my trailer batteries and use only shore power for the landing gear and slideouts frequently enough. But I will NEVER tow without at least one coach battery.

I don't recall if I did not have trailer batteries and I cou
Art-n-Marge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 01:06 AM   #3
jimcol
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7992
Send a message via AIM to jimcol Send a message via MSN to jimcol
Art, I think it only powers your trailer brakes when the break away switch is activated? Normal braking on the trailer comes from the truck battery via the brake controller. Tractor, you can run furnace and lights without the battery but be sure and insulate the battery cable. If you have an 05 and the original battery you have certainly got your moneys worth. 7 years on a battery is exceptional. Jim
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Art-n-Marge

You can run the lights and furnace without the battery but you must be connected to shore power or a generator or solar with a powerful inverter (and wired correctly, too).

However, the battery is needed for when you are towing because it powers your trailer brakes. I have a battery disconnect switch for my trailer batteries and use only shore power for the landing gear and slideouts frequently enough. But I will NEVER tow without at least one coach battery.

Old 02-10-2013, 03:39 AM   #4
Slufoot733
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9928
I must recommend AGAINST operating the slides and landing gear without a battery connected. Those motors draw a considerable amount of amperage and the converter does not supply that many amps. The battery is the storage tank for that amperage. And it is required for operating the trailer brakes ONLY if the trailer break-away switch is activated. It's the backup power for the brakes in the event the trailer seperates from the tow vehicle.

In the past I always removed the battery and stored it in a warmed garage, sitting on a piece of wood. I just never felt comfortable leaving it on charge all winter and didn't want to chance it freezing. Unfortunately, this winter I did not get it out because I injured my back in the fall and couldn't lift it. I basically forgot about it. So, this spring I will see how it survived. I'm sure it will need charged up some and as long as it didn't freeze it should be good to go.
Slufoot733 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 03:44 AM   #5
DQDick
Site Team

M.O.C. #11455
Whether it's a vehicle battery or a battery in the Monty, once they've got 4 years on them (assuming they last that long) I'm looking for the sales to replace them. As said, you definitely got your money out of that one.
DQDick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 05:17 AM   #6
tractor
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #3421
I still have origional batts in my 05 dodge diesel.Even got 86000 miles on stock set of generals got five years out of stock montana tires.But didn't answer all my question my old rig had a charge module in inverter that let batt over charge.Would like to kmow what going on befor I burn up new batt.
Old 02-10-2013, 05:26 AM   #7
Carl n Susan
Site Team

M.O.C. #4831
Your 2005 Montana has an IOTA DLS-55 converter which charges the batteries. This model is a basic charger and has only *ONE* charge mode. To make it a "smart charger" (i.e. multi-stage) you had to add an IQ4 modules (http://www.progressiverc.com/iota-iq...FQbZQgodTgcABQ). This inexpensive upgrade plugs in ala a telephone and will prevent battery problems due to over-charging.

Carl n Susan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 06:12 AM   #8
8.1al
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1658
Get the smart charger, you will never be sorry.
8.1al is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 04:41 PM   #9
tractor
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #3421
Can I connect that unit from side box or do I have to pull converter out.
Old 02-11-2013, 01:41 AM   #10
racerjoe
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7770
8.1al is correct. just disconnect battery when unit is stored and hook up one of the new style "smart" chargers. there are several out there. It will keep battery maintained all winter without overcharging or damaging battery.We use a battery tender brand on our cars and have had good luck with the batteries.
racerjoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 08:18 AM   #11
tractor
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #3421
WHERE IS THE UNIT LOCATED IM MY 3500RL AND WHAT IS THE BEST WAY TO GET TO IT.
Old 02-14-2013, 09:28 AM   #12
racerjoe
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7770
just disconnect your battery cables and hook the charger direct
racerjoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 11:09 AM   #13
old turbo
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2486
I have a trickle charger from harbor freight automatic on/off so no burn out used this unit for years if the battery is out of the trailer for storage.
old turbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 12:43 PM   #14
tractor
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #3421
Ordered the add on control for stock unit just trying to figure out best way to get to it to hook it up.
Old 02-14-2013, 01:10 PM   #15
CORattler
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10496
Art, my brakes work WITHOUT the battery installed on my Monty. As long as the umbilical cord is plugged into the truck, my brakes operate normally.

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Art-n-Marge

CORattler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2013, 04:42 PM   #16
tractor
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #3421
I guess nobody know's.The battery is to opperate emergency brakes only and for lights unhooked from power or tow vehicle.