Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > HAVE MOC WILL TRAVEL > Campgrounds
Click Here to Login

Old 08-01-2011, 05:44 PM   #1
hunts800
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #11457
Trip to Victoria Isl, B.C. & Vancouver, B.C.

We are going to Victoria Island and then onto Vancouver this September. From my research, plan on staying at Oceanside Rv Park in Victoria for several days, then to Living Forest Rv Park in Nanaimo, and then Burnaby Cariboo RV Park in Vancouver.

We will be leaving Stockton, Ca on Sept 6th, returning end of September - Have I made any bad choices? I'm open to alternatives/suggestions.

Will be taking the Ferry from Port Angeles, WA to Victoria Isl, then the Ferry from Nanaimo to Vancouver. Any suggestions on how to make the Ferry loading/unloading uneventful? I have never taken my fifth wheel (or any other trailer) on a Ferry before, although have talked to numerous other RVrs who claim it is no big deal.

Old 08-01-2011, 06:40 PM   #2
hookman
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6237
You will take the ferry Vancouver Island to the city of Victoria which is the Capital of B.C. The campground in Victoria I haven't heard of but the one in Nanaimo is raved about by all that use it. The Burnaby park looks very good and the RVers say it is very good and close to Hiway #1. When going on the ferries do exactly what the Deck Hands direct you to do and you should no trouble as they direct lots of RVers on and off the Ferries Enjoy your visit.
hookman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2011, 06:45 PM   #3
Drifty1
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9441
Steve,I have traveled on the Blackball ferry out of PA twice over the years but as a walkon passenger. I remember thinking it would be fun to take our trailer but never did. This is a larger ferry the carries large tractor trailers all the time. Be sure to spend some time if you can around Anacortes and Mt. Baker area.

Edit Looks like the ferry would run about $250.00 for my rig and 2 people.
Old 08-01-2011, 06:50 PM   #4
klash
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #9399
As Hookman said, the parks you have selected are all great.
Going on and off the ferries involves driving on a sloping ramp. If the back end of your fifth is low, and you have a long overhang behind the back wheels, you should drive slowly. You should't bottom out, but just be careful. The deckhands are very cautious and will ensure that you are placed in the exact centre of the lanes on board the ferry. Watch for their hand signals at to proceed, stop, left and right. Have a great time on the island, we have lived here for 38 years and love it.
Sorry about the high fuel prices, we don't like them either!!!!!

klash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2011, 07:19 PM   #5
HamRad
Montana Master

M.O.C. #15
Steve and Donna,
Have fun on your trip to Vancouver. Make sure you are in compliance with the rules for operating an RV in Canada and specifically in British Columbia. I read on the Escapees Forum that there are some slightly different rules that apply. I doubt you will have any trouble but you may want to read up on them if you haven't already. And don't forget to put the decals on your propane tanks indicating when to turn off your tanks off. They must be off when on the ferry.

I assume you will be visiting the Butchart Gardens. If not then put it on your list of MUST DO items! Below is a link to this interesting sight. Enjoy! If we ever get back up that direction we will certainly visit again. Dennis and Mary Kat

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Butchart_Gardens
HamRad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2011, 07:03 AM   #6
Delaine and Lindy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6650
Sounds like a wonderful trip. We have only been to Niagara Falls on the Canada side. However our International Rally next year, it will be in Canada. We are seriously thinking of going. Will look forward to your post on your trip... Have fun... Happy Trails...
Delaine and Lindy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2011, 01:07 PM   #7
hunts800
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #11457
Thanks for all the input. Will report back upon return.