Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > HAVE MOC WILL TRAVEL > Campgrounds
Click Here to Login

Old 01-18-2011, 03:12 AM   #1
exav8tr
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6333
Where to Stay??

Many folks like to get first hand knowledge of parks to stay in and that is a great idea, especially if that information comes from reliable sources. I have found that using www.campgroundreviews.com is an invaluable tool to, at least, get a starting point for CG's in a particular area. Then solicit ideas from folks that may have that all important first hand knowledge. Also when asking for advice about a park it is nice to know some of your desires and length of stay to better assist you. Time of year you plan on going is nice to.

Just some thoughts of mine after being a MOC member for over three years and doing alot of travelling during that time.

I have no connection to the website mentioned, just an easy resource to use while on the road and "Connected".

exav8tr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2011, 03:39 AM   #2
CamillaMichael
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10246
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by exav8tr

Many folks like to get first hand knowledge of parks to stay in and that is a great idea, especially if that information comes from reliable sources. I have found that using www.campgroundreviews.com is an invaluable tool to, at least, get a starting point for CG's in a particular area. Then solicit ideas from folks that may have that all important first hand knowledge. Also when asking for advice about a park it is nice to know some of your desires and length of stay to better assist you. Time of year you plan on going is nice to.

Just some thoughts of mine after being a MOC member for over three years and doing alot of travelling during that time.

I have no connection to the website mentioned, just an easy resource to use while on the road and "Connected".
Phil, I agree with using every available resource to get advance information on any CG we intend to use...even then, we have ended up in some less than adequate places. Trailer Life's directory on CD is a pretty good resouce too, although not free.
CamillaMichael is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2011, 04:02 AM   #3
drknapp
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #9135
Good recommendation Phil. We also use that site as one of our tools when planning a trip. It has proven to be very useful to us.
Old 01-18-2011, 04:04 AM   #4
BB_TX
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6433
Phil, I do just like you. And while I always use campgroundreviews.com as a starting point, I have also learned to filter thru the ratings.
Very often a park will receive almost all 8 - 10 ratings with a couple 3 -4 thrown in. Those low ratings are almost always some trivial matter such as wifi did not work well, error in reservation, did not get the site I wanted, desk clerk was not friendly, etc. When I see those comments, I just throw them out.
And on occasion, the reverse will be true, mostly very low ratings with a 9 or 10 thrown in. Those high ones tend to be very suspect as maybe someone planted those to try to offset the low numbers.
All in all I have generally found the average ratings to adequately describe the parks. And as you said, nothing beats first hand info from fellow forum members.
BB_TX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2011, 08:00 AM   #5
Art-n-Marge
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9257
Send a message via MSN to Art-n-Marge Send a message via Yahoo to Art-n-Marge
I use four sources - RVparkreviews, Woodalls, Trailer Life and Forums for my decisions so far. As Phil alludes, RVparkreviews is one of the better ones.

There are a lot of factors for picking an RV site for us. Such as how long we are in the area, are we staying at the RV or venturing forth most of the time, how many in our party, how many other RV parties are going with us, purpose of the trip (get together or local event), but we don't have to consider full-time, yet. If we full-timed the RV campground would have to be a BIG item to consider for the facility.

Btw - I don't use Woodall's as much any more, since the other avenues seem to provide more accurate information and with better reviews. I am careful what I read from reviews. For example, I don't pay any attention to problems for children facilities (since we don't travel with children). As our grandkids get older, maybe, but even then I have always been good at keeping children occupied even at unkidfriendly places. I learned that from my Mom (former elementary school teacher). So far the kids love me for it and that's good enough.
Art-n-Marge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2011, 11:30 AM   #6
nosticks
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10378
I also use rvparksreview, but when I see something severe on the negative end of the spectrum, I follow the link that points to other reviews made by this person. Sometimes I find there is no pleasing some people. If it was too hot, not enough shade, noisy neighbors, locals having parties, no doggie walk, the pool was cold, it was hard to find, the staff didn't kma, wahh,wahh,wahh or some other whine factor, I just ignore the review. But then again, if several reviews are negative, where there is smoke, there is usually fire.
nosticks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2011, 05:06 AM   #7
Waynem
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7673
One bad review will not discourage me. Several bad reviews from different folks will make me very cautious. That's when I start asking questions if there is not an alternative.

The one that gets me is the person who writes a bad review because the received an "Attitude." In 99% of the cases when I visited that specific park I never received a bad attitude, so I guess attitude begets attitude. I walked into an office one day and a gentleman and a worker were having words and he was mainly giving a real bad attitude. He finally left and the worker turned their attention to me. There was nothing but nice words from either of us. I do like the RV Park Reviews, but I like first hand from people I know and trust on forums also.
Waynem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2011, 11:02 AM   #8
CamillaMichael
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10246
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Waynem

One bad review will not discourage me. Several bad reviews from different folks will make me very cautious. That's when I start asking questions if there is not an alternative.

The one that gets me is the person who writes a bad review because the received an "Attitude." In 99% of the cases when I visited that specific park I never received a bad attitude, so I guess attitude begets attitude. I walked into an office one day and a gentleman and a worker were having words and he was mainly giving a real bad attitude. He finally left and the worker turned their attention to me. There was nothing but nice words from either of us. I do like the RV Park Reviews, but I like first hand from people I know and trust on forums also.
Could not agree more...however, it is nice to have some point of reference...if nothing else, what services are available??
CamillaMichael is offline   Reply With Quote